The Flying Tigers , Active Dec 20, 1941- July 4, 1942
In 1942, the 1st American Volunteer Group , AVG was commanded by General Claire Lee Chennault. The AVG was part of the Chinese Air Force and consisted of 112 Army,Navy and Marine pilots .The group was made up of 3 PURSUIT squadrons , 1st Adam & Eve , 2nd Panda Bears, 3rd Hells Angel .The Chinese called them Fei Hu , for the snarling Tiger Sharks teeth painted on the on noses of their P-40s noses.The Flying Tiger shark insignia was not original, it was copied from the Shark tooth design used on the P-40s of a RAF squadron based in the Libyan Desert .The World came to know them as The FLYING Tigers .At the request of the Chinese Defense Ministry in Washington the Walt Disney Company created the Flying Tiger insignia flying thru a Large Blue V for Victory on the fuselage . The emblem was adopted in March, 1942. and used on the P-40E with Red propeller spinners.The AVG was finally was Disbanded on July 4, 1942. Even today the Tigers shark faced fighters remain among the most recognizable of any individual combat aircraft of WW II.
post edited by drummerboy - 2011/12/19 22:27:00