1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. I no longer have the time to manage a project like this, obviously, or give it the attention that it deserves. I still think fondly of the early days in 1998 when this all got started. A small, but eager group of tech savvy 1st and 2nd generation descendants made great friends with the last of the WWII veterans thru the newfangled internet. They're all gone now. It's time for me to turn the page. Thanks for being along for part of the ride. I'm sorry it got so bumpy in the end.
    Dismiss Notice

WWII Uniform, badges and insignia

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Medals, and More' started by David Calkin, Oct 8, 2016.

1. David Calkin

David Calkin New Member

I am trying to put together a shadow box for my of her father's military history. I want to place close to original insignia and medals along with badges and unit if possible. He was in USAAC until war ended. He was a Master Sgt, he was with 9th AF in England. with supply and maintenance unit. We think 1771st. what insignia did they wear in uniforms during that era? He went Tennessee Air National Guard and retired from there as CMSgt. I also need to know what was worn from 1946-1980 in USAF. He was deployed during Korea for a period of time. We know what medals he has, but don't know insignia or badges to try and locate.

2. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Please tell us his full name. Also do you know where in England he was based? You indicate he served beginning in 1946 yet you posted a photo of someone sitting astride a bomb with a notation about Berlin, can you clarify? As far as Korea or post war is concerned this Forum covers WW II, anything after 1945 is pretty much beyond our scope. Took the liberty of flipping the photo you posted to your album.

IMG_20160716_0018.jpg

3. David Calkin

David Calkin New Member

IMG_20160716_0027.jpg IMG_20160716_0044.jpg IMG_20160716_0027.jpg IMG_20160716_0044.jpg IMG_20160716_0045.jpg
    RAF Goxhill, M/Sgt Charles Edwin Barnes, Army Service Number 14 033 266, these pictures we found in sister in law belongings after she died. Don't know where it was taken.

Attached Files:

4. David Calkin

David Calkin New Member

5. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Enlistment records at the NARA show that he enlisted in 1940.

barnes.jpg

Units known to have trained at Goxhill were:
    1 Fighter Group (P-38 Lightnings) between 10 June 1942 and 24 August 1942.
    52 Fighter Group (P-39 Airacobras) between 26 August and 9 November 1942.
    78 Fighter Group (P-38 Lightnings and P-47 Thunderbolts) between 1 December 1942 and 6 April 1943 (The group lost its P-38s and most of its pilots in February 1943 when they were assigned to Twelfth Air Force for service in the North African campaign).
    353 Fighter Group (P-47 Thunderbolts) between 7 June 1943 and 3 August 1943.
    356 Fighter Group (P-47 Thunderbolts) between 27 August and 5 October 1943.
    358 Fighter Group (P-47 Thunderbolts) between 20 October 1943 and 29 November 1943.
    496 Fighter Training Group (P38 Lightning and P-51 Mustang) from 25 December 1943 until 15 February 1945.
    The 496th Fighter Training Group was the only group formed at Goxhill and served as a Combat Crew Replacement Center for 8th and 9th USAAF units. It consisted of the 554th Fighter Squadron with P-38s and the 555th Fighter Squadron with P-51s. The group trained over 2,400 fighter pilots during its existence.
    On 20 January 1945, the USAAF returned Goxhill to RAF control, which assigned it as a satellite to RAF Kirton In Lindsey.

6. David Calkin

David Calkin New Member

what insignia and or decorations was worn during that time?

7. pathfinder504

pathfinder504 Active Member

He is wearing 9th AAF patch. In the pic with the chick he is also wearing 9th but it looks like the censor obliterated part of it. She is wearing a woman's RAF "muffin" cap.

The motto of the new USAF was "All Blue by '52" He would be entitled to all his WW2 ribbons.

You need to get his WW2 discharge paperwork and his USAF discharge paperwork to get references to his awards and decorations. I have done dozens of WW2 shadow boxes including one for RCAF. Also did both dad and father-in-law's Korea boxes. You gotta get the paperwork to get the specs on ribbons and other awards.

KW EM insignia were silver painted pot metal. Newer versions were stay-brite (wrong for his service) Now they have changed the buttons from the old SAC shield to a variant of the WW2 star and wing "meatball".

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    25Kingman49 likes this.
  8. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Probably back tracking a bit here. If your speculation about his service within the 1771st is correct, as of 1 May 1945 the 1771st Ordnance Supply & Maintenance Company, Aviation was stationed at Furth, Germany (R-24) slightly more on location here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F├╝rth_Airfield also see http://www.forgottenairfields.com/germany/bavaria/middle-franconia/furth-atzenhof-s1106.html search Ninth Air Force

Unknown for certain what SSI (Shoulder Sleeve Insignia) was being worn by members of the 1771st, could have been the Ninth Air Force, or the standard AAF, SSI without Air Force designation, see attached. Service and Supply units are the most difficult to follow throughout WW II and beyond.

This image looks like Vietnam to me. way out of this forums WW II focus.
    img179.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    Airwar likes this.
  9. bernies

bernies New Member

Before the 1771st Ordnance S&M Company was at Fuerth-Atzendorf Airfield, it was at RAF Goxhill (and Ober Olm). It returned to the US and was inactivated in Octover 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, VA. That certainly looks like a 9AF patch on his left shoulder in the picture with the WREN. The 1771st would have been part of IX Air Force Service Command for most of its time overseas and IX AFSC was part of Ninth Air Force.
    By 1947, he would most probably been in the 218th Air Service Group, which was headquartered at Nashville, but had detachments at Berry Field and Memphis MAP. In November 1950, that would have changed to some element of the 118th Air Base Group, which was federalized for Korea and served at Shaw AFB, SC. However, federalized ANG units gradually became a mix of regulars, guardsmen and reservists during the war as people transferred in or out of their original units to meet the needs of Far East Air Forces.

25Kingman49 and Airwar like this.