WWII Patches

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Medals, and More' started by Lon E. Klump, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Lon E. Klump

Lon E. Klump New Member

My uncle was a T/Sgt Radioman/Gunner on a B-17 flying missions out of Thurleigh, UK with the 306th Bomb Group and 368th Bomb Squadron. He flew all his missions (I believe) on "Weary Bones" in 1944. When my uncle passed in 1991, I inherited much of his memorabilia. Among his things were many patches, but not certain some of these actually belonged to him. From my own research, I think a couple of the symbols are from cadet patches . . . Also in 1944, would my uncle have worn the standard aircrew wings, or the "flying bullet" wings. . . I hope I have provided enough info and hope that someone out there can shed some light on my questions. Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Lon,
    Can you give us his full name and year of birth? Anything else you may know about his crew? Name of Pilot? Unlikely he would have flown ALL of his missions on a single aircraft. Crews frequently flew a number of aircraft during their tour of duty, sometimes up to 10 or 12 different planes.

Regarding his wings, they would have had a downward facing bullet in the center.

For what it's worth here is a link to Weary Bones. If you click on 'About this image' you can download a copy of the photo.

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft/6866

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Lon E. Klump likes this.
  3. JolietMark

JolietMark New Member

Lon, the bottom right patch is for an aviation cadet, so he may have been one and washed out. The T/Sgt stripes are nice as they still have the AAF logo in the middle which was deemed obsolete in early '43. The patch on the top left is the 2nd Air Force, this was a state-side Air Force, he may have trained with a unit in that AF before heading overseas or may have been an instructor after his return to the states. The top middle patch is the standard AAF shoulder insignia and the top right patch is a very nice English-made 8th AF.
    As for the wings, it all depends, some guys were trained as gunners only and wore the winged bullet wing, others, Radio-operators and Flight Engineers wore the Aircrew wing. I have talked to quite a few vets who wore the aircrew wing to show that they weren't gunners only, but it was just a matter of choice.
    I hope this helps in some way,
    Mark

Lon E. Klump likes this.
  4. Lucky Partners

Mark,
    In my limited experience the ROGs that I have encountered all wore the 'flying bullet' wings. Possibly after the Radio Room gun was eliminated the ROs reverted to Aircrew wings. Although even then the ROs were required to man a waist gun when needed.
    Hal

Lon E. Klump likes this.
  5. Lon E. Klump

Lon E. Klump New Member

Thank you all for your response . . . My uncle was T/Sgt George James Allen, DOB May 22, 1915, Pilot was Walt Kielt. I have his Operational Sortie Record however that does not reflect the aircraft . . . I have pictures of my uncle with "Weary Bones" and with "Furlough Myrtle". Thanks again, Great help and information.

Attached Files:

Lucky Partners likes this.
  6. Lucky Partners

Mission list will be very helpful. Crew photo you posted is the same one as on the AAM link which is identified there as a different crew?

Lon E. Klump likes this.
  7. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

8. Lon E. Klump

Lon E. Klump New Member

The only annotation on the back of the
    The only annotation on the back of the photo was "Mixed Crew at Thurleigh Hardstand, Winter 1944"

9. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

There is an interesting article about Weary Bones and Walter "Keilt" here, not sure all have seen it.

http://www.306bg.us/Echoes files/apr2010C.pdf

You can find some other "Weary Bones" items by doing a Google site search, i.e. enter into the Google Search field: site:www.306bg.us Weary Bones

You could also try site searches for Keilt : site:www.306bg.us Keilt

or "George J Allen" or "Allen, George J" : site:www.306bg.us "George J Allen"|"Allen, George J"

A few things turn up, although if the pdf file is not also indexed for the same terms, you need to read through the file to find the reference.

Lon E. Klump likes this.
  10. Lon E. Klump

Lon E. Klump New Member

11. Lon E. Klump

Lon E. Klump New Member

Is there a website to find all Ribbons/Medals awarded to my uncle George James Allen . . . I know he received the DSC and Air Medal . . .

12. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Lon E. Klump likes this.
  13. 25Kingman49

Great photo of Sgt George James Allen from Ancestry.com
    Sgt George James Allen.jpg
    Captioned: George in Uncle Jim & Aunt Carol's living room, Ursula's photo in background.
    Reading Life Magazine April 17, 1944 with Esther Williams on the cover.

Another photo from that collection captioned: George J. Allen and the crew of the B17 "Weary Bones"
    George J. Allen & crew of Weary Bones.jpg
    For the record this is a ZI training Fort.

Your uncles discharge papers are also available from this source. As to the awards he earned only the ones recorded here would apply: [Box 33]; Air Medal w/3 OLC, 306BG Distinguished Unit Citation, and Distinguished Flying Cross. [Box 55}: European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal (EMEA), American Defense Service Medal, One (1) Overseas Service Bar, Discharge Lapel Pin & four uniform patches (ruptured duck)
    George J Allen Honorable Discharge.jpg

Attached Files:

Lon E. Klump and Lucky Partners like this.
  14. Lucky Partners

Have never seen this type of information on any website. At the time of the award your uncle would have been presented with a citation concerning the award. Occasionally the microfilms of the Group records will contain a general listing of all the awards presented in a given month but the individual citations are not included, just a list of names. If your uncle did not save those citations the only other place you would find that information would be his Discharge papers or his Army Personnal File.

EDIT:

Just saw that Scott has posted a page from his Discharge. See the top of the page for his awards. Scott, great find, wonder who posted that on Ancestry, never saw that before.

Lon E. Klump likes this.
  15. 25Kingman49

Hal,
    All of this and a lot more was posted over in a family tree section, user name markkernan1. This is a first for me too but it has made studying Sgt Allen much easier. I hope Lon knows this person likely a relative. I would never post anything sensitive but here is Sgt Allen's Radio School diploma; first of these I've seen.
    George J Allen Radio school deploma.jpg

16. Lucky Partners

Scott,

Very interesting. Have never seen one of those before. Thanks.

17. 25Kingman49

Rather incredible! Kind of a gold mine, so few of these documents survived. Here is his Kingman Army Air Field, Fixable Gunnery Diploma. "License to Kill" awarded by Bugs Bunny no less. Who ever said the Army Air Forces didn't have a sense of humor.
    George J Allen Flex Gunnery deploma.jpg
    And those wings noted and earner look like this:
    Aerial Gunner Wings WWII.jpg

They came in a variety of types but all were "Silver Wings"