World War II "Pilot training camp" now accepting students!

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by Wendovertom, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Wendovertom

Wendovertom New Member

Hello and I hope this is in the right place for this announcement.

Wendover Airfield museum, the Utah Commemorative Airforce and the Arizona Ground crew are putting on a Pilot training camp in September. The Arizona Ground crew has been running the widely recognized "Bomber Camp" in California with the Collings Foundation B-24 and B-17 and they are now putting on a "pilot camp" in Wendover, Utah. You will train and receive instruction in actual Army Air Corps World War II buildings!

Here is the link to register for the camp: http://www.planetreg.com/WWIIPilotTrainingCamp

During the four days of training you will:
    - Receive a Flight Suit and Pilots Log Book.
    - Barracks accommodations for five nights.
    - Three meals per day in the Mess Hall.
    - Training materials
    - Receive Ground School Training on all aspects of flying operations.
    - Take Primary Flight Training in the PT-17 Stearman.
    - Conduct Advanced Flight Training in the AT-6 Texan
    - Air Cadets will be flying everyday during this condensed training course and upon completion will Graduate and earn their WINGS! - please note you will NOT receive a pilots licence (just loggable time in the aircraft)

Thanks and if you have any questions let me know!

Tom P.

Airwar likes this.
  2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Thanks Tom Iam hoping you will get some members of this forum. Iam to tall ( 7ft) so no space in the Texan for me.
    The Dutch Historical Flight flew also with the Texan. Years ago I receive an invitation,but when I arrived they smiling.
    '' Your to tall big men '' they said. Even a flight in a B-25 is no option.
    And thanks for posting Wendover Airfield.

regards Jaap

3. Wendovertom

Wendovertom New Member

Jaap,

I called and talked to one of the pilots who will be a "Instructor" (actually he IS a Certified Flight Instructor) and he tells me you would fit in both planes - maybe a little cramped in the Texan but he has had tall guys in the T-6 before!

Tom P.

4. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Jaap,
    If you and Yfke are up to the trip from the Netherlands for this Wendover expedition and "experiment" come on out you can stay at my place or I can recommend "nicer" accommodations in Wendover. Once again I should probably remain silent but it's not just your height but also your girth (like an NFL lineman) no equipment needed. Personally I would like to see you in the back seat of a Texan, where you might need to leave the canopy open for extra head room, and full face mask not just goggles (bug free teeth) remember keep your mouth closed.

The guy in the back seat of the image below must be a midget. I suspect your head will be above the "open" canopy, if they can squeeze you into the cockpit at all. You are not called "BEAR" Vermeer for no reason! Put money on it with Tom, if you do not fit in the Texan the Historic Wendover Airfield Foundation pays for your travel expenses in total. Who wants to gamble?

Scott

north-american-T-6-Texan-military-training aircraft.jpg

Airwar likes this.
  5. Wendovertom

Wendovertom New Member

Humm - yes, Scott is right - girth will make a big difference in either plane - especially the Stearman. Maybe you should wait for a B-17 ride or camp!

6. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

HA HA HA, Thanks Scott,the summer holidays still stands and pay'd, so not this year.
    Tom is this training every year,because then I can plan this for September 2018.
    Probably I took our son Hessel with me because then he finished his education at the
    Merchant Navy Highschool to become an Maritime Officer.

Tom I send your Link to a lot of my Dutch Airforce friends,so you never know.
    https://nl-nl.facebook.com/KLuHistorischeVlucht/

Jaap

7. Wendovertom

Wendovertom New Member

Jaap,
    This is the first year of this particular camp but we are hoping to continue it in 2018! We should have even more original buildings done by then!

Dank je for sharing the info with your group! ( I hope my Dutch spelling is not too far off)

Tom P.

Airwar likes this.