1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. I no longer have the time to manage a project like this, obviously, or give it the attention that it deserves. I still think fondly of the early days in 1998 when this all got started. A small, but eager group of tech savvy 1st and 2nd generation descendants made great friends with the last of the WWII veterans thru the newfangled internet. They're all gone now. It's time for me to turn the page. Thanks for being along for part of the ride. I'm sorry it got so bumpy in the end.
    Dismiss Notice

William H. Colbert

Discussion in '1st ACG' started by Dave Bell, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Dave Bell

Dave Bell New Member

The curator staff at MAPS Air Museum is working on a display that includes some memorabilia for William H. Colbert. William flew with the 5th FS from March 31 1945 through Dec 5th 1945. We are seeking information on aircraft that William flew and also an accurate color scheme for the P-51's the 5th would have flown during that period of the war. Any information would be helpful and appreciated.
    Regards.
    Dave Bell Curator Staff MAPS Air Museum.

2. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

According to information on this page:
    http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/src/AARmonthly/Jul1945O.htm

on 26 July, 1945 he was in a landing accident in P-51K-10NT, 44-12245.

Joe Baugher's site has:
    44-12245 (5th FS Commando, 1st Air Commando Group, 10th AF) in landing accident at Asanol airfield, India Jul 26, 1945.

Pilot survived, aircraft badly damaged, unknown if repaired.

As to what a 5th FS Mustang around that time would look like, there is a discussion of a plane called "SIGH" which "may" have been in the 5th FS here (some confusion as to its squadron).
    http://combatace.com/topic/82303-51st-fg-d-mustang/

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  3. Dave Bell

Dave Bell New Member

Thanks...much appreciated.

4. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member