1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. The forum archives, past and present, were successfully transferred to the Heritage League of the Second Air Division. Two conditions were agreed upon; 1) all user email addresses would be protected, and 2) all private messages would remain private. On Dec 1st, the AAF domain will convert to a simple landing page to stay out of spammer hands.
    Dismiss Notice

William Bergquist, 66th Fighter Squadron

Discussion in '57th FG' started by JolietMark, Aug 27, 2016.

1. JolietMark

JolietMark New Member

Looking for information about Lt. William Bergquist (Berquist) who was with the 66th F.S. Trying to ascertain when he served with the unit. He checks out as a member of the group on their site but I can find nothing further. He was a pilot and was from Rockford, Illinois.
    Any help would be most appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Mark

2. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Airwar likes this.
  3. JolietMark

JolietMark New Member

Scott, thanks. I did have that but I appreciate it anyway. It is a shame about the spelling, I have searched under both names. For some reason, the research I have been doing of late has hit brick walls.
    Thanks again for taking the time to help,
    Mark

4. 25Kingman49

Mark,
    Shacking the tree a little more Ancestry still hasn't produced additional AAF involvement, was hoping for a newspaper article of his return home but no soup. What was found is "I think" our William Bergquist first with a 1944 Rockford, IL phone directory still listing him with the US Army. These files are pretty large (1.5 MG) for the forum, I might need to break them into more than one post, actually and reduce them in size....

Attached Files:

5. 25Kingman49

So it appears he survived the war, back in Rockford 1950 city directory car salesman, and appears to be married to Lucille, J. maiden name Lucille June Adolphson.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  6. 25Kingman49

Here he is in 1959, now a used car sales manage with I think a different dealership (hell of a life for an ex-aviator!). I did not find a record of death or obituary so he might still be alive but that's a guess.

It is a real bummer to not find more about his AAF service; you know the 57FG was flying P-40 Warhawk's right up to 1944 when they transitioned to the "Jug". It would have been nice to find a photo of Lt. Bergquist with any of the machines he flew.

7. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

There is also a Bergquist monument in Rockford Illinois, in memory of three members
    Of the Bergquist family who died in an aircraft crash in June 1987.

Jaap

8. 25Kingman49

Jaap,
    I'm not certain your memorial reference here http://www.egaonline.com/node/9855 (search Bergquist) is related as this is regarding 3 members of the Kurt Bergquist family killed in this aerial accident. Oddly the name Bergquist is not as uncommon as I once thought. Frankly I am not 100% certain my posts above contain data for the William G. Bergquist being sought by Mark who served with the 57FG, 66FS.

One might hope for help in publications such as https://www.amazon.com/57th-Fighter-Group-First-Aviation/dp/1849083371#reader_1849083371 (with-a-look-inside) but Lt. Bergquist (either spelling) is not shown in the index. I can understand missing data for those KIA and MIA but here is a pilot unrecorded (name spelled wrong) by his own Fighter Group. Was this pilot so unmemorable that he does not appear in any of these stories http://www.57thfightergroup.org/history.html but that is just me being harsh on his fellow pilots who failed to include him in any of these memories.

9. JolietMark

JolietMark New Member

Scott, thanks for all the research help. The reason for my inquiry is that I have Mr.Bergquist's uniform. It came out of a museum near Rockford so the William G. that you found information about is him. The uniform was originally bought at his moving sale in 1990 so he was not one of the ones killed in the crash, thanks though Jaap.
    As for references regarding his service, I believe he might have been a late war pilot, he has an Air Medal with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters so he did see some action but as for his failure to appear in unit histories, that I cannot explain. I will keep searching as I don't have too much fighter pilot related materiel in my collection. I plan on trying to get his award card from St. Louis and maybe that will help with a timeline.
    Again, I appreciate all of the efforts in trying to find this vet,
    Mark

10. oboyle

oboyle New Member

Hi all, sorry about the typo, it has been corrected. I received the Personnel Lists as you saw them from 66th FS pilot Wayne Dodds, who is no longer with us, so that is the end of that story.
    He managed to compile that list, which is somewhat of a miracle to have.
    I've spent many years researching the group, and did the website to honor the Group, and could not do it with out all your help and suggestions. This is not the first typo I have been corrected on.
    Nature of the biz. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, and I wish I saw this thread sooner. Cheers, Mark O'Boyle, webmaster 57thfightergroup.org and 47thbombgroup.org

Airwar likes this.