Willard F. King

Discussion in '457th BG - Glatton' started by Dean Faraday, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Dean Faraday

Dean Faraday New Member

Looking for information about my father in-laws unit. I know he was a radio operator/mechanic AAF-756 in the 8th AAF 457th Bomb Group from 1 Feb 44 to 24 June 45. He did not fly that I know of but don't know what unit he would be attached to in ground support. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Dean,what his name,servicenumber e.c

3. Dean Faraday

Dean Faraday New Member

Sir,
    Thank you for your reply!
    His name is Cpl. Willard F. King #33350887, Honorably Discharged at 4267 AAF BU Newark, NJ on 21 Oct 45. I ordered and received all records from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Lewis but they contain little of what I'm looking for.
    Please feel free to cantact me if you need further information and Thank You for your help!!

Dean Faraday

4. vetsson

vetsson New Member

Hello Dean,

The folks at this forum have amazing experience and information and can help lead you in the right direction. I started much like you when trying to track my father's service. Having your father-in-law's Army Serial No. and outfit makes for a great start. The U.S. Archives will have only basic information as nearly all of the enlisted men's records burned in a fire in 1977.

I recently purchased a book titled "Finding Your Father's War" by Johnathan Gawne which summarizes the many and varied approaches to researching the service records of WWII vets. In my case, a scrapbook kept by my mother was invaluable once I learned how to interpret the clues and details. If you have any family records, I'd suggest spending time looking through them; even if the information seems a bit cryptic. Also, there are many published books and other records about almost every outfit and aspect of WWII. What I found is that one piece of information leads to another. If you're patient and diligent, you may be able to discover a lot of details.

Lastly, I note that your father-in-law was 8th Air Force. I just visited the "The Mighty 8th Air Force Museum" just outside of Savannah, GA. It's a wonderful museum and they have a pretty sizable research library. It may be worth making an inquiry.

Unfortunately, I have no specific information that I can offer regarding your father-in-law's outfit. A quick internet search indicates that there seems to be a lot of info about the 457th Bomb Group; including an active 457th Bomb Group Association website. But, you are at the right place to get good advice. Ask questions in as precise a manner as you can and I think you'll get good responses.

Good luck!

-Dale

Darkhorse likes this.
  5. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Dean,

Cpl Willard F.King, December 6, 1921 - July 9, 1990, Moscow,Lackawanna County PA
    Enlistment date August 8, 1942.
    Do you have more specific information, I mean, was he served by a Bomb or Fighter group.
    You can also send a requist to the NARA ( National Archives and Records Administration.

Jaap

6. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Dean,

As Dale suggested in post #7 this link http://www.457thbombgroup.org/Service_Personnel_1/intro.html offers a look at the Support Personnel at RAF Glatton Air Field. In the gallery search window type in King - to http://www.457thbombgroup.org/Service_Personnel_1/Page1.html could this Will King be your father-in-law pictured here? Two guys with a ladder like this might be repairing radio antenna, see attached schematic:
    B-17 radio communication system schematic.jpg
    As you can see there could be a lot to fix from a radio standpoint when these Forts got shot up. The photo here, two airmen and a ladder suggests to me the command antenna, but who knows.

In any event, contact with this Association may prove most helpful. Message Board here http://www.457thbombgroup.org/New/message.html

Just an afterthought here, in the old AAF forum this thread would have been split with Dean's entry in post #4 with all that follows moved to the 457th BG forum. Where have all the moderators gone, long time passing...?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    AACS45 and Darkhorse like this.
  7. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Dean,

There are two avenues of assistance available on the 457th web site a message board, as Scott mentions above, and an email address for the web master. I see you tried the message board 3 years ago with no luck, maybe give it another shot. I'd also take a shot with he web master at the address on the home page, dereese@mail.com
    http://www.457thbombgroup.org/index.html

There is also a second web site for the 457th, maybe give it a try.
    http://www.457thbombgroupassoc.org/
    It also includes a list of Officers of the association and their mail and email addresses.
    http://www.457thbombgroupassoc.org/officers

8. Webmaster

Webmaster New Member

Dear all,

I am the webmaster for the 457th BG website. We do have two websites but the old one '457thbombgroup.org' hasn't been updated since 2008. I have started my work in January and have added an enormous amount of info on the new website '457thbombgroupassoc.org'.

Many have passed away and most of the information we have is spread over the US and in hands of veterans and families. I am writing to families and ask them for help to share their information so we can help others. We do not have any informationo on ground crews. I have dug up a few names but have no idea to what squadron they belonged.

I will check tomorrow and see if Willard King is on my list. I hope we can help you in the near future and if you have any photos of your father in law from WWII please share these with us. Ifyou have any other names please also let me know. Maybe the names can lead up to usefull information. I still have a couple of hundred photos to go thru and to add on the website but I will do a quick check and see if the name comes up!

If you have any questions please email webmaster457thbombgroup@outlook.com

Erwin