"War Weary & Tired"/"49"

Discussion in '376th BG - San Pangrazio' started by Alex Smart, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Active Member

Hello,

On the "12oclockhigh" forum a question about the serial number of "War Weary & Tired" a/c numbered "49" which I understand would be a 376 BG 513 BS aircraft.

However I have also seen a "49" recorded as a 514 BS a/c ?

B24BestWeb.com, (no longer part of this forum it seems ?) has pictures of "War Weary & Tired"/"49" and also of a later "J" model serial number 42-78672, numbered "49".

Could it be that this later "J" replaced the earlier "D" model ?

If so how could one find the details of the replacement and reason for the earlier "D" model being taken off line/ lost in action ?

Second part of my request for info is wether the numbers carried by the 513BS and 514 BS at any time overlaped, in such a case both squadrons would have a "49" in service ??

Thanks for any replies
    Alex

2. B-24 Best Web

B-24 Best Web Member

3. 461st Fan

461st Fan Member

I don't remember the details because it wasn't related to the research I was doing at the time, but I do remember reading the 376th Bomb Group's Duty Log which contained an entry ordering the Group to ready B-24Ds (by serial number) for shipment back to Gioia. They were to be replaced by newer B-24Hs. I don't believe it was mentioned, but I assumed the older models would be converted to a non combat role or salvaged.

4. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Active Member

Hello,
    Thanks for the response, I had long forgotten this post, started in Dec 2015.:)
    Alex

5. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

From my B-24 days, I somewhat remember the the 376th BG divided the groups in groups of 25 aircraft -- aircraft 1 thru 24 were one squadron, 25 - 49, 50 - 74 and 75 thru 99, with double nuts (00) being a group HQ ship.