1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. The forum archives, past and present, were successfully transferred to the Heritage League of the Second Air Division. Two conditions were agreed upon; 1) all user email addresses would be protected, and 2) all private messages would remain private. On Dec 1st, the AAF domain will convert to a simple landing page to stay out of spammer hands.
    Dismiss Notice

War Crimes: The Gross Gerau Incident

Discussion in 'Prisoners of War, MIA, & Internees' started by BMBazooka, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Johannes Seipel

Attached Files:

25Kingman49 and BMBazooka like this.
  2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

And some more

Attached Files:

25Kingman49 likes this.
  3. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Well-Known Member

you are my hero :D
    I'll read them this evening and be back then!
    Triple Likes :D:D:D

25Kingman49 likes this.
  4. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Therese Gebhardt

Attached Files:

BMBazooka and 25Kingman49 like this.
  5. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

6. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

7. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

And in Dutch ??

25Kingman49 likes this.
  8. 25Kingman49

Running off topic.
    That's funny Jaap, that translation is your job I think and you read German better than most Germans anyway. A question; is it Dutch, or Netherlandish, or Hollandish? And why does your wonderful and beautiful little country, land of dikes, windmills and tulips have so many names? All about the size of Illinois, rather odd graphic attached. Things that make me go hmmm.

Then we are right back to war crimes and the faces of Nazi evil facing the "allied final solution" for their crimes against humans and civilization. I for one enjoyed this brief intermission from these proceedings. Watched the movie "Judgment at Nuremberg" (1961) again this weekend (I have always wondered how accurate this "Hollywood" portrayal of this event measures to reality). An odd rendition of this movie below for reference to the correct film. Critical analysis from a German and Dutch perspective would be appreciated in brief.
    Comparison_between_U_S__states_and_countries_by_GDP_in_2012.jpg

"Judgment at Nuremberg" 1961

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Airwar likes this.
  9. BMBazooka

Update: The missing Fachinger-Flauaus files have been found in another Record Group and with other signatures. Thanks to the capable archivist!

Airwar and 25Kingman49 like this.
  10. BMBazooka

I am planning my trip to Orsoy for the first sunday in September.
    Since I have an appointment in Wesel till 1 o# clock and have to be back in Munich in the night, it will be just a short trip. But I'll try to make some photos and if i find somebody ask around.

25Kingman49 and Airwar like this.
  11. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Susanne Iam at that time at Ameland Island for holidays. I wish you succes, Jaap

12. BMBazooka

Thank you! If I would have had more time I would have asked you if we might meet. But its just a first visit. I will come again, and go to Margraten as well.

13. BMBazooka

I just arrived from a trip to Wesel. I went to Budberg and Eversael on the way back to Munich.
    We were lucky. We met an old woman, who remembered two places where parts of the ship crashed. One in a barn, which is not existing anymore, the other part near an agricultural power plant. I took some photos of the area.
    She remembered that two air men survived.
    So it would be good to return with more time and ask some more people especially the owner or caretaker of the power plant. He is a local too.
    I missed the Budberg cemetary.

25Kingman49 and Airwar like this.
  14. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

15. 25Kingman49

Susanne,
    This thread has grown so long it seemed a good idea to move some of the data and images forward to this page.

Are the buildings near the lakes/ponds in the image below the agricultural power plant you are referring to?

MACR 8464 for B-17G, 42-97946, 26 August 1944, 48 pages fold3 start here https://www.fold3.com/image/28665758
    Estimated crash area
    42-97946 Estimated crash site german report coordinates.jpg
    42-97946 crash site - Not X makes the spot.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  16. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

25Kingman49 likes this.
  17. 25Kingman49

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  18. BMBazooka

No it a biological gas plant.
    The place were at least to bigger parts crashed, is Drießen. The hamlet Drießen.

25Kingman49 likes this.
  19. BMBazooka

20. BMBazooka

The upper yellow circle is the place of the barn.
    The other one is the plant.

25Kingman49 likes this.