War Crimes: The Gross Gerau Incident

Discussion in 'Prisoners of War, MIA, & Internees' started by BMBazooka, Aug 10, 2016.

1. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Similar to Rüsselsheim, at the 29th August of 1944 two Alliied Airmen were beat to death in Groß Gerau. It was one of Ben Ferencz first job to search for the perpetrators.
    , starting with Minute 17.
    Flauaus and Fachinger were sentenced to death, the other, beat the flyers before they were killed, were sentenced to some years in Landsberg.
    http://www.online.uni-marburg.de/icwc/dachau/000-012-0793.pdf
    http://www.online.uni-marburg.de/icwc/dachau/000-012-0793-001.pdf

The names of the Alliied Airmen (assumed: American) are not known in Gross-Gerau right now. I just got a mail.
    Would somebody of you like join me in the search?
    Its a hard one, I do know nothing except that one had a jacket with "Dickie" on it, and they were arrested at Trebur first.

2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Susanne you mean this article ?

Jaap

Attached Files:

3. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Susanne,
    A question about this. In the trial transcript the name on the jacket is given as "Dicke" not "Dickie". You have written "Dickie" which is the way it is written in the newspaper article. If someone was just told the name verbally, it could also be possibly be written as "Dicky" or Dickey. Do you have information on the exact way it was written on the jacket?

Is it correct that the body of Mr "Dicke" was not recovered? If so, he should be listed as MIA. There is a way to search for MIAs knowing the approximate date of loss.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  4. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Yes, Jaap, this is the article with "Dickie" I had in mind.

Ben Ferencz assumed that they threw the corpses into the river, which meant the Rhine or it could also be the Main.
    I do not have the Trial records right now. They are in the NARA and I do not know the exact signature. I will ask the frinedly archivist who helped me with the Sonner case in the next days for an estimate. I had hoped since these files are quite expensive that the Archive of Gross-Gerau might have have them but they have almost nothing. Just some German transcriptions of parts of the Review.

5. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

6. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Some thoughts about the Gross-Gerau case.

We cannot assume the two men beaten to death at Gross-Gerau were “necessarily” first captured at/near Trebur or even that the plane was lost near Trebur. In the Russelsheim case, the plane (B-24 42-110107) actually went down near Greven (after a raid on Hanover). That crew was captured there and they were being moved to Dalag Luft by train. The tracks were destroyed near Russelsheim and the men were being walked through Russelsheim. They were to pick up a train past the damaged section. A book about the Russelsheim case is “The Last Mission of the Wham Bam Boys” by Gregory Freeman.

A couple of short summaries of the Russelsheim case:
    http://b-29s-over-korea.com/Russelsheim/Russelsheim01.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%BCsselsheim_massacre

If you read the MACR for 42-110107 there is nothing in the translated German pages about Russelsheim. The German documents only say the men were captured and being sent to Dalag Luft. The two surviving crew member of the incident have statements in the MACR that mention Russelsheim.

That said, there was a raid on Ludwigshaven on 26 August 1944 and 7 B-24s were lost. Several went down in the area, including one at Trebur. That plane was 42-50443. The co-pilot of the plane was John R “Richards” (last name) and the pilot was William N Stonebraker. All the crew were POWs and survived the war, so none of them could have been killed at Gross-Gerau 3 days later. It is possible that some of the other crews captured closer to Ludwigshaven were being moved to Dalug Luft and may possibly have been moving through Trebur on the 29th.

The seven planes lost on the 16 August 1944 Ludwigshaven raid:

448th BG lost 4 planes.
    41-28924, 42-50443 and 42-95134 near Ludwigshaven. 42-50788 went down in France on the return.

446th BG lost 3 planes.
    41-29177 near Ludwigshaven. 42-50318, 42-95626 went down in Holland on the return.

BMBazooka and Airwar like this.
  7. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Airmen murdered by Russelheim

Attached Files:

8. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Susanne, I think its going about members of the B-17G # 42-97946 '' Hard 't Get '',306th BG/ 369th BS
    Aircraft crashed East of Budberg near Jagergitternetz,Moers,Germany.
    2/Lt. Charles H. Evans Jr. and T/Sgt Harvey J. Purkey Jr were murdered near Gross-Gerau,Germany
    The Nickname of S/Sgt Huebotter was '' DICKIE ''

Jaap

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    BMBazooka likes this.
  9. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

10. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

42-97946 Del Denver 12/4/44; Cheyenne 1/5/44; Kearney 16/5/44; Dow Fd 2/6/44; Ass 368BS/306BG Thurleigh 14/6/44; MIA Gelsenkirchen 26/8/44 w/Dean Allen, wg-Dick Huebotter, tg-Jim Carey (3POW); co-Chas Rapp, n-Chas Evans, b-Mike Vlahos, ettg-Harvey Purkey, ro-Bob Newbigle, btg-Gene LeVeque (6KIA); flak, cr Budberg, Ger; MACR 8464. HARD TO GET.

48 page MACR 8464 starts here on fold3 https://www.fold3.com/image/28665758

BMBazooka likes this.
  11. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

12. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Lt.Evans and T/Sgt Purkey were captured and sent to Frankfurt am Main by train from Cologne
    On Agust 27th 1944 at about 02.00hrs the train stopped at a small station S off Wiesbaden and as the
    German guards were sleeping the two Americans escaped. On August 29th 1944 they were areested again
    in that area and beaten to death at Gross-Gerau by the chief of the Police and another man. Both Germans
    were convicted in 1945,tried and hung for this War Crime. Both airmen were buried in the Community Cemetery
    at Gross-Gerau. Both were reinterred in the Netherlands Cemetery,Margraten were Lt.Evans still remains in Plot K-19-18

BMBazooka likes this.
  13. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

14. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

BMBazooka likes this.
  15. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

BMBazooka likes this.
  16. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Purkey is buried in Arlington National Cemetery,VA

17. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Gentlemen - Chapeau!
    I even found Nancy Huebotters email adress.
    What a story.

18. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Susanne probably now you can find the '' Polizei fuhrer '' of Gross Gerau in August 1944 in the German archives.

19. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Susanne what do you know about the German Airmen Hunting Team.
    I found three names ;

SS Sturmfuhrer Fritz Dietrich
    Willy Stemmler
    Karl Hunsicker

20. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

The names are known who commited the crime although one of them always said that he was not guilty. The man who bet the fliers with an iron stick to death should have committed suicide afterwards.
    Jaap - would you tell me your secret - how did you find that in such a short time?????

Airwar likes this.