USSTAF and 8th AF Should Patches

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Medals, and More' started by vetsson, Dec 23, 2015.

1. vetsson

vetsson New Member

Greetings,

The recent discussion about the 8th AF patch at this forum got me thinking about another patch question. My father's WWII E.T.O. (England) worn Ike Jacket has a felt stubby-winged 8th AF patch on the right shoulder and a USSTAF patch on the left shoulder. I typically see the 8th AF patch in combination with either a squadron patch or the generic AAF or "Hap Arnold Wing" patch.

Is there any particular meaning or reason for this combination?

Thanks.

-Dale

2. j.peters140

j.peters140 Active Member

The wearing of a patch on the RIGHT shoulder, means that that patch was the original patch.

In my own instance...I flew 17 missions with the 15th AF. I was brought back early to crew a P-51..in the 3rd AF until the end of WW II, and discharged in 1945. When I re-enlisted in 1948, I was back in the 15th AF at Riverside California, five months later I was on my assignment in Alaska..Alaskan Air Depot, on return from overseas, I was again in the 15th AF at Spokane, Washington at Fairchild AFB, then the next change cane seven years later with the 99th BW move to Westover, AFB, Springfield, Massachusetts...and six years later back to Fairchild AFB, Spokane, Washinton again in the 15th AF.

• im -

3. vetsson

vetsson New Member

Thanks, Jim

You covered a lot of ground in your AF service. How many total years?

Any thoughts why the combination of the USSTAF patch with the original 8th AF patch? Was that common?

Regards,

-Dale

4. j.peters140

Dale...I had a total of 20 years and three months....I was discharged in 1945 and re-enlisted in January 1948 with continuous service from then on to my retirement in 1965....I married my wife in 1946.

In answer to your second question....your father served originally with the 8th AF, and then was assigned to the USSTAF, with his wearing of the USSTAF patch on his left shoulder.

Jim :)

5. vetsson

vetsson New Member

Sounds like a great career. And, I thank you for your service!

My Dad was in for four years, two in the States and two in England. He was a ground crew mechanic (MOS 747). I have some anecdotal information that he may have spent time at Sudbury and then at Burtonwood before shipping back to the US. He was specifically trained to support B-17s (at Douglas Aircraft in California and then at Wendover Field, Utah). He even achieved Sharpshooter status with the 50-cal machine gun. I've heard that in the early going of the War, ground crew mechanics were cross-trained as waist gunners & radio operators and sometimes pressed into service in those roles. But, I can't find any evidence that he ever flew. I'm trying to connect the dots and was wondering if there might be a clue in this shoulder patch combination. Unfortunately, like almost every other enlisted man, his records burned in the 1977 St. Louis archives fire.

Thanks again for your feedback.

-Dale

6. j.peters140

Dale....Another suggestion...Have you checked for his Medical Records at the Veteran Administration...those records were NOT affected by the St. Louis fire....there should be a VA representative in your town of city....He/She will be listed in the local phone book...if not....you can bring up the STATE VA Rep on the internet....It may take a little searching to locate the Phone number....

The VA Medical Records will show the "Station" or "Base" where he received ANY medical treatment. This should help in determining his record of where and when he served.

7. vetsson

vetsson New Member

Jim,

That's an interesting idea. I'll check it out.

Thanks,

-Dale

8. bernies

bernies New Member

Until 1947 the Air Force was part of the Army and followed Army regulations. What you refer to as "patches" on the Ike jacket are "Shoulder Sleeve Insignia." Army regulations call for the SSI for a soldier's current assignment be worn on the left shoulder. If a soldier has served in combat with a unit entitled to a SSI, he may wear that unit's SSI on the right shoulder. In this case, the uniform would indicate assignment to USSTAF, with previous combat service with 8th AF. I still recall waiting for a hop at Travis AFB in 1964 and running into an Army Master Sergeant wearing an 8th AF SSI on his right shoulder. When USAF became independent, he stayed in the Army, but had served with 8th AF in WW II.

P-51 LVR likes this.
  9. P-51 LVR

P-51 LVR New Member

I have posted some pictures of my SSI, all WWII originals. I have all the USAAF patches, and most of the USAF. Enjoy.--jim

10. vetsson

vetsson New Member

Thanks for your comments.
    Bernie, I appreciate the clarification of insignia v. patch. Also, the memory of the Army M. Sergeant wearing the WWII 8th insignia. I guess once part of the "Mighty 8th", always part of the "Mighty 8th"
    Jim (P-51 LVR), I looked for your pics, but could not find them. Where did you post?
    Regards,
    -Dale

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  11. j.peters140

Dale...I think you meant your request for pictures for P-51 LVR.

12. P-51 LVR

P-51 LVR New Member

13. P-51 LVR

P-51 LVR New Member

Are these the pics that somehow were lost in cyberspace back in January?

14. P-51 LVR

P-51 LVR New Member

15. P-51 LVR

P-51 LVR New Member

16. P-51 LVR

P-51 LVR New Member

17. P-51 LVR

P-51 LVR New Member

These are pictures of my wall hangings, on my Wall of Honor. I do have a few more USAAF and have tried to keep up with the USAF SSI. It is slow going, for some, like transportation, have become very expensive for an elder retiree. Thanks for sharing.

18. vetsson

vetsson New Member

Great collection! My Father's original, theater-worn Ike Jacket has two of the insignia patches represented in your collection... 8th Air Force and USSTAF.

Thanks for sharing the pics.