Uniform and place in the ship

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Medals, and More' started by BMBazooka, Dec 28, 2015.

1. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

I have 3 pictures to identify people.
    Would I be able to get information on the place or funtion of a certain person by his uniform after bailing out, especially the shoes?

2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

I think that will be a problem,because all flyers has the same dress.
    But we can try. Probably other researchers can help you, so post them if possible with names.

Jaap

3. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Tis would be very nice. I'll be online this evening and load up the pictures.
    I have 4 different person and 2 ships. The picture show their capture in July 1944.

4. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

[​IMG]
    Detail of this picture:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you very much for all your ideas and information!

5. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

No they all bailed out.
    No 1 a plus b : Unknown, ship "Big Time Operator", went down after heavy flak. Pilot, Copilot and another 2 person were burned in the ship.
    No 2: Possibly Henry P. McDonough, Radio Operator Big Time Operator (MACR 6952)
    No 3: First Lieutenant Richard c. Theis (Navigator), Wordener Crowe (Assistant Engineer), ?, ?

6. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Just a comment on the flight boots vs regular army shoes (or boots). Men would typically tie or wire their regular footware together so they could be clipped to the parachute harness. Then after landing, they could discard the big flight boots and wear their regular foot gear. If they tied their boots together with just with the shoelaces, the boots would often pull off during the jump. They really needed to be wired together so when clipped (or tied) to the harness they would stay attached and "survive" the jump. In your picture it appears some men have flight boots on, while others "may" have already changed to their regular shoes/boots.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  7. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Thank you!
    Were would the shoes be tight on this photo:
    [​IMG]

8. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

I think they would be in front, perhaps hanging from one of the clips or D-ring where they snapped on one side of the parachute. The vet I talked to said in the ship they had the shoes next to where the parachute was located. They would clip on the shoes at the same time they clipped on the chute. He just had his shoes tied together with the laces and when the parachute opened the shoelaces broke and away went the shoes.

Search for "shoes" on this link. The author describes how he lost his shoes because of a delayed jump while his buddy lost his flying boots but his shoes made it. He does not specifically say his buddy's flying boots were lost during the jump, but that did often happen as the flying boots were not tight fitting and could "slip off" during the chute opening for example.
    http://www.376hbgva.com/memoirs/barton.html

9. billrunnels

billrunnels Active Member

I wired a pair of "walking shoes" to the back of my parachute harness so I didn't have to look for them at the last minute before leaving the aircraft. Fortunately, I didn't have a need for them. My parachute was never more than an arms length away on top of my bombardier's flak suit spread out on the floor under my chair.

BMBazooka likes this.
  10. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Richard C.Theis, B-24H # 42-94923, 460th BG/ 763rd BS, crashed Forstenried,Munich,Germany

11. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Yes. He was one of the 6 survivors. He had a burned face and burned hands.

12. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

On www.wwiimemorial.com you will find a photo of Richard
    And probably I found his steph-daughter,will let you know.

13. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

www.b24bestweb.com of Daniel Stockton has a photo of Big Time Operators, only with another crew.

Jaap

14. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Is it really the same ship`? They were more than one "Big time Operators". Seemed to be a popular name or expression.
    I tried the link, it didn't work.

15. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

May I ask for your experience with bailing out? As a first hand story?

16. billrunnels

billrunnels Active Member

Fortunately, I never had to bail out but I was as prepared as one could be.