Top Secret P-51 Altitude Testing WWII

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by Tex Longhorn, May 3, 2017.

1. Tex Longhorn

Tex Longhorn New Member

In my research of the 118th TRS, I came across the remembrances of one of the pilots. He states that while at Tac Recon training (probably early 1944) in Meridian, MS, he took part in a top secret experiment.

Shortly after arriving, the group of 20 pilots was put in an altitude chamber. After several hours, he was the last one remaining. He went through two weeks of specialized training for the mission.

The flight took place in a stripped down P-51C. The guns and ammo were removed as well as anything that wasn't needed for the mission. His body was hooked up to all kinds of electrodes that allowed control to monitor him. He was told that control would be able to transmit an electrical shock that should revive him if be become unconscious.

The cockpit was fitted with a special heating device and he had a force-fed oxygen system to keep him conscious. At 20,000 feet, he trimmed the plan "nose down" and climbed past 30,000, 35,000, 40,000 and finally 45,00 feet. Final reading was 46,547 feet.

Has anybody heard anything about this? He was told not to talk to anyone about this and kept quite for twenty-five years. If true, and I have no reason to question it, this would be about 2,500 feet higher than the record of ~42,500 feet set in 2013.

2. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Tex,
    Seems you forgot to mention the name of the Mustang stratosphere jockey. Might help the rest of us catch up to your findings.
    Scott

3. Tex Longhorn

Tex Longhorn New Member

Fred Lanphier.

[​IMG]

4. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

5. Tex Longhorn

Tex Longhorn New Member

That is him.

Shout out to the 118th website!

6. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Tex some articles

Attached Files:

7. Tex Longhorn

Tex Longhorn New Member

Attached is the mission in his own words.

Attached Files: