1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. The forum archives, past and present, were successfully transferred to the Heritage League of the Second Air Division. Two conditions were agreed upon; 1) all user email addresses would be protected, and 2) all private messages would remain private. On Dec 1st, the AAF domain will convert to a simple landing page to stay out of spammer hands.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking information on B-17 42-31264 Dumplin

Discussion in 'Heavy & Very Heavy Bombers' started by Dale noviasky, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Dale noviasky

Dale noviasky New Member

Seeking information on Corporal / Crew Chief James J Julian of CT, B-17 "Dumplin" Nose Art, Serial No. 42-31264. Any and all information on Julian's service and the plane itself would be greatly appreciated. Also, would love to see any other photos of Julian and the plane. I thank you! Dale in CT (female)

2. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

3. Dale noviasky

Dale noviasky New Member

Hello! I thank you so much for the information and your quick reply! I do not think the same guy. "my" Julian was born 25 July 1922, i believe born and raised in CT. Died 2003 in CT. If a B-17 did not go overseas, what function, service would they have done in the US? Training? Preparedness for potentially going overseas? I thank you! Dale

4. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    RSwank likes this.
  5. Parker

Parker Member

Dale,

In another thread you mentioned that you had a picture, can you scan it and post it here?

Yes, this b-17 was used to train crews before they went overseas. The plane itself never left the US, just continued to be used in training crew after crew. I'm sure someone here can tell you exactly what phase of training was done in Las Vegas.

6. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Dale, just to cover the bases, if you are looking at a photo of James with training plane 42-31264. It was typical to take a photo of a combat crew when they finished combat crew training in front of one of the training planes. One of the flight engineers I talked to once joked it was a "prop" prop plane. It is possible that James (and his crew?) then went overseas.

Typically, enlisted men on combat crews were all Sergeants, at least in the European theater, so if James stayed a corporal during his service, he may well have been in the U.S. the whole time.

7. Parker

Parker Member

Dale,

Reading your posts to an earlier thread it appears that you may be a collector of military memorabilia. Curious if you have any personal connection with Corporal Julian? Just curious, makes no difference to us, if we can help we will help. But it saves us the time and effort of asking for personal information about Julian that you might not be able to provide.

8. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Here is the Selective Service card for James (NMI) Julian. Seems to fit your man exactly except for the omission of the middle initial "J".

James (NMI) Julian, front.jpg

From ancestry.com:
    James Julian
    in the U.S. Veterans' Gravesites, ca.1775-2006
    Name: James Julian
    Service Info.: CPL US ARMY AIR FORCES WORLD WAR II
    Birth Date: 25 Jul 1922
    Death Date: 13 Jul 2003
    Cemetery: Riverside Cemetery
    Cemetery Address: 160 Garden Street Farmington, CT 06032

This indicates he never advanced in rank beyond Corporal.
    Edit: And further suggests it was like he never served outside of the ZI - (United States)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  9. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

42-31264's card

note: Accepted on 7 October 1944

note: 3021 Base Unit at Las Vegas date would be 1 April 1944 not 2 September 1944 as Osborne state -- the entire USAAF went over to the AAFBU system on that date -- the September 1944 date is when the aircraft went into major overhaul / heavy check and the system verified her location.

42-31264 c.JPG

25Kingman49 likes this.