Seeking information about 1st Lt John A Thorne (Bombardier)

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by 25Kingman49, Aug 29, 2017.

1. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

This was posted by new member LINDA T. on his profile page http://www.forum.armyairforces.com/members/linda-t.1296/#profile-post-150 I thought to help out re-posting it here.

This might be the AAF officer he seeks:

John A Thorne, findagrave https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=115760676 appears to be a graduate of Class 43-13, San Angelo Army Airfield, first class dual trained as Navigators/Bombardiers, so we might be searching for a navigator. If actually dual trained as Navigator/Bombardier we might be seeking a B-29 crew member where this was a common practice for these crew positions.

This may also be that John A Thorne's original enlistment into the Aviation Cadet program 15 August 1942:

https://aad.archives.gov/aad/record...&tf=F&q=16113451&bc=sl&rpp=10&pg=1&rid=196829

Service theater if outside of the United States not known. Perhaps this member will return with more information.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  2. LINDA T.

LINDA T. New Member

Hi Scott, Thanks for your time and help. I have a lot of my dads papers and some pictures he had taken or others had. I have him graduation class 43-13 bombardier school San Angelo, TX. The following have been written on the back of the photos I have...photo of my dad, Biggs Field, TX 9/45 The Rock B-29, photo my dad, written Hot pilot Thorne is really flying. This was taken on our Sunday off, nothing else to do so we went flying. 5/1944. men in a plane B-29, "KRO" at the panel the shortest man 6' 3" Biggs Field, 9/1945, My hot pilot Lt Robert Janes or James from West Virginia, 5/1944 TX, AT-11 buzzing the field, Ozona, TX 5/1944, A load of 1 hundred Lb. practice bombs class 44-9 5/1944, "Heavy" lightest man on the crew 220, B-29 Biggs F. 9/1945, Lt Billy M. Jones, AC B-29 shows him in the plane he was from TX, 9/1945 Biggs F., This is a fancy edge photo, of 10 men standing in a line by a plane, numbers on the plane 375. Man in a plane at the panel Lt. Harold Kroshinski Eng,, B-29, Biggs F. Plane photo, A-26 we are using to prowl the Pacific, with the numbers I took off the tail 43429 6 or 0? photo of a man Lt. Frank Buske 4/1944 San Angelo, TX. Photo Lt. Howard at controls 4/1944 San A. TX. photo Hal, Al, and the character, photo class 44-9 maneuvers, Ozona, TX, photo A/C Russel Kneeth or Knuth, one of my students class44-9, he has grad. and is now a lead bombardier of a squadron of B-26's , Man standing Joe Zachio or Zaccltio. Yonkers, NY Not sure what information would be helpful. I was told his records were burned in the fire. Thanks for any help you can give me. sincerely, Linda

3. 25Kingman49

Hello Linda and welcome to the AAF forum.

You have a rather impressive array of photos. I would be interested to see all of the B-29 photos if you would scan and post them here. I appreciate you taking the time to add all these photo descriptions above. Is the John A Thorne referenced in my initial post your dad?

A large portion of these photos appear to be training related. Is it your understanding from the documents and photos you have that your dad was an instructor in the United States only or did he also deploy overseas at some point? You noted that you have many of your dad's papers, do you have his discharge/separation document? If you do would you please scan that document and post it here. There are references above to Biggs Army Airfield [Biggs F]. Biggs was one of the original B-29 crew training fields, and continued thru the end of the Pacific War as a replacement training base for B-29 aircrews.

A photo of a [B-29 Biggs F. 9/1945] assuming this represents August 1945 and if your dad was there may indicate he served at Biggs Army AAFld, El Paso, TX until the end of the war with Japan.

Thank you, please share as many photos as you can, as all are important to AAF history particularly from private archives such as yours.

Scott M

4. 25Kingman49

Linda,
    Another option (although B-29 photos are most welcome posted here) you may wish to start your own album of your dad's photos. Log in, top tool bar click on Media, then click Add media, then Create an album. In this way a permanent (as long as this forum exists) online archive for your dad's photos will be established. Merely another option available if you have the time and desire to share these images.
    Scott