1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. I no longer have the time to manage a project like this, obviously, or give it the attention that it deserves. I still think fondly of the early days in 1998 when this all got started. A small, but eager group of tech savvy 1st and 2nd generation descendants made great friends with the last of the WWII veterans thru the newfangled internet. They're all gone now. It's time for me to turn the page. Thanks for being along for part of the ride. I'm sorry it got so bumpy in the end.
    Dismiss Notice

Secret Mission Order

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by BMBazooka, Apr 16, 2017.

1. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Well-Known Member

I found one of these Secret Mission Orders in Walter Mattsons "Lone Wolf".
    Where would I find these orders for a certain day? Are they part of the "Loading Lists" we talked about before?
    What do the right capitals under the crew name say? Are they the markings for the ship?
    Thank you for your help and ideas.

upload_2017-4-16_9-2-37.png

upload_2017-4-16_9-5-30.png

upload_2017-4-16_9-3-33.png upload_2017-4-16_9-2-37.png upload_2017-4-16_9-2-37.png upload_2017-4-16_9-3-33.png
    upload_2017-4-16_9-4-38.png

Airwar likes this.
  2. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

I believe the letters in the formation chart are first, the squadron letter and then the plane's radio call letter.
    Squadrons letters are B= Blue (760th), R= Red( 761st), W=White(762nd) and Y=Yellow(763rd).

The radio call letters just run through the alphabet, A to Z for each squadron.
    Thus you see in the chart for example, the same RCL appear in different squadrons.
    In the charts you show, there appears to be an R-H, Y-H and B-H for example.
    A RCL would be reused in a squadron if a plane is lost, so to identify the actual plane, you would need to know at what point in time a plane had a particular RCL.

These types of things should appear in the Group and Squadron histories that can be ordered from AFHRA.

(The mission(s) being described in these charts are not "Lone Wolf" missions.)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    BMBazooka likes this.
  3. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Susanne,

Over the years I have seen enough variations in the format of formation charts that I almost believe that each Group made up their own design. Attached is a chart for an 8th AF unit. Picking one crew as an example, Altman, the number to the left, 7003, is the 'tail number' of the aircraft. The 52 directly opposite the tail number is the hardstand where the plane is parked. The Inl directly below the tail number is the squadron designation, and the P directly opposite that is the Radio Call Letter. Note that several crews show RW where the hardstand number should be, this indicates that the aircraft were parked on the runway. Clearly the only similarity to your examples is the T format with the Pilot name at the top.

Having reviewed all of the microfilms from AFHRA for this particular Group I have never found this information at that source. Loading Lists and Formation charts for this Group were only available in original paper documents held at the National Archives in College Park, Maryland. Don't know if that is the situation for ALL Groups. And yes, this is one of the several sheets that taken together are referred to as "loading lists". Other pages include the names and positions of each crewman on every aircraft on the mission and also a page listing the takeoff and landing times of each aircraft.

There are also similar Formation charts which included radio frequencies, flare colors, R/T codes, etc. called Pilot Information Sheets and also referred to as 'flimsies'. See thumbnail image below. This is similar to the information on the formation sheets you posted. I believe these were distributed to the Pilots at the briefing before the mission.

JULY 07 1944 FORMATION.jpg

flimsie.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    AACS45 and BMBazooka like this.