P-47 "D" 44-20678

Discussion in '57th FG' started by Cépé, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Cépé

Cépé New Member

Dear all

I am at the research of the story concerning the P-47 (become F-47 after WWII) ASN # 44-20678.

This fighter was lost at sea in North Africa (Oran'sector) with a french pilot aboard in jannuary 1955.

I would like to know when and where taken his maiden fly and what was his units in the USAAF before to belong at the Free French Air Force, as what fighter (s) group (s ?) and theater of opération it was incorporated.

Thank you at all for the help you will can give me about.

Respectfully,

Cépé

2. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

Aircraft was a direct lend-Lease to France in November 1944

All of her service was with the French Air Force

Photo is of a close sister ship so delivered in olive drab

P-47 French.JPG

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  3. Cépé

Cépé New Member

Woow ! Thank you "Terveurn" for this important information. Just a note : may be, have you hear of the date this fighter was delivered from his original manufactory ?
    Thank you again for your very quick and precise answer.
    Respectfully,

Philippe

4. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Airwar likes this.
  5. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

6. Cépé

Cépé New Member

Thank you Hal

I know this site and am in contact with his webmaster here in France. I'm in contact too with the sister of the brave pilot (21 years old at the time of the accident due to mechanical failure). Plane and pilot still reported MIA today at sea in Algeria (west of Oran).
    Yes, I have the only picture know of this fighter under french cocardes. I don't know if by lend lease, the US Archives of Maxwell possed the "form sheet" of the "birth" of this plane ?
    The Frenches archives don't possed this type of document.

Thank you again,

Philippe

7. Lucky Partners

Philippe,

It sounds as if you are trying to obtain the Individual Aircraft Record Card, IARC for short. The gentleman who replied above, Terveurn, has much experience with those records and can direct you how to obtain such a record. Otherwise I will seek the information of how to obtain them and post later.

Hal

Airwar likes this.
  8. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

information on C.I.C.

CIC information.jpg

Airwar likes this.
  9. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

Sounds like he already has the Record Card - "US Archives of Maxwell possed the "form sheet" of the "birth" of this plane"

10. Cépé

Cépé New Member

Wow... that is really fine. Thank you again Hal.

Have a nice day

Philippe

11. Lucky Partners

Phillipe,

Is this the type of information you are trying to obtain on this P-47? Just want to make sure we are thinking of the same thing.

Hal

IARC.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    Airwar likes this.
  12. Cépé

Cépé New Member

Yes ! Is exactly this one for the P-47 44-20678 (becoming F-47 at the time of his loss) that I search.
    I received this night (we are at night here in France now) from France all the French Air Force 'units where this plane was assigned. It was mainly assigned as training plane (to that the frenchs pilots have flying hours), and as "target fly training" flying in his back an taget (cible or "biroute" in french) to other fire training fighter.
    I will post an picture of the "678" tomorrow. Many thanks for all of you, in "one tiny day", I have received all that I needed about. Have a nice day, Philippe

13. Lucky Partners

Philippe,

Here are links to various sources of information about Individual Aircraft Record Cards. I do not remember exactly how I requested the card posted above, it was quite a few years ago. I know that you can order an entire roll of microfilm of these cards but don't know how to obtain only one card. Hopefully someone else can help us on that.

http://www.afhistory.af.mil/FAQs/Fa...43/information-on-specific-usaf-aircraft.aspx
    http://www.afhistory.af.mil/FAQs.aspx
    https://airandspace.si.edu/collections/archival-collection/aircraft-history-cards
    https://airandspace.si.edu/collecti...aircraft-history-cards-microfilm-ca-1910-1952
    http://sova.si.edu/record/NASM.XXXX-0461

Oh, here is one more, scroll down almost to the bottom of the page for ordering information.
    https://airandspace.si.edu/research/resources/obtaining-reproductions

Airwar likes this.
  14. Lucky Partners

Philippe,

I have taken the liberty of entering a request for a copy of the IARC for your P-47. As soon as received I will scan and post to this thread. I expect that it will take several weeks at the soonest.

15. Cépé

Cépé New Member

Ho Hal

Many thnak for your kindness. For sure that will help me very mluch. The "F"-47 # 44-20678 was lost during trainig fly off the coast of Oran Alegia in Jannuary 1955. His pilot, Sgt Himber, was reproted MIA since this time. An scuba diver have discovered an wreck that can to be (we hope) the "678".
    We work at this time with the French administration to have autorisations to work on the wreck to confirm or not that it is well the # "678". Thank you again at all, Have a nice hollidays time with your family,

Philippe

Attached Files:

16. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

Why did you just not e-mail Maxwell - they can do do some single requests.

17. Lucky Partners

Philippe,

The IARC for your P-47, 44-20678, just arrived today. I hope this provides the information you were seeking. You can 'right click' on the image to save it to your computer.

Hal

P-47D.jpg

Airwar likes this.
  18. Cépé

Cépé New Member

Many many thanks Hal for this document. Wonderful. I discover that it was manufactured by Farmingale, NY and shipped at Newark by land lease to the France. The plane was delivery "all new" for our French Air Force.

Thank you again very, very much, is really fine.

I will post after our excavation other pics of the wreck of 678 for you.

Have a nice day,

Philippe

19. Lucky Partners

Philippe,

It is a pleasure to be of help on your project. I look forward to seeing your pictures after the excavation.

A related question comes to mind for the Forum. I have wondered, and may have asked at some point in the past, by road it is approximately 50 miles from the Republic factory in Farmingdale, Long Island to Newark, NJ where these planes were loaded on ships for the trip to Europe. Does anybody know if the planes were knocked down and boxed for shipment at the Republic factory and hauled to Newark on trucks, or, were they flown from Farmingdale to Newark and knocked down and boxed in Newark? I had an uncle who worked for Grumman on Long Island during the war but unfortunately he is no longer around to ask.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  20. Cépé

Cépé New Member

Hi Hal (and all)

At my knowledge, many US airplanes ready to go to be shipping from Newark NJ. to the European theater (for sure, not the bombers (H and M) who did their trip by air across the Atlantic'ocean), the fighters were knocked down and boxed for shipment (without forget that many fighters (mainly in 1942/1943) did the fly to UK by air.
    The most famous at my knowledge was the F-5B # 42-68223 (P-38 reco version) of our war hero, Commandant Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, who was flown from Lockheed Burbank, CA, in a long fly trip with few stops to Newark NJ where, it was knocked down and boxed for shipment).
    I have not the correct information, but because Farmingdale is to close Newark, flying an P-47 to Newark seem not to be the better thing. Knocked down and shipping by truck seem the better. For sure, if anyone have the precise information, that will be fine. Thank you again for all Hal,

Philippe

25Kingman49 and Airwar like this.