P-38 Lost 17 December 1944

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by one1, Mar 7, 2017.

1. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

I happen to like Picture Manager as well -- thanks for the work around.

http://www.ebay.com/p/Microsoft-AUTOROUTE-2013-Europe-Maps-X32-X64-Auto-Route/1501823623

2. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help Dave, bought a copy of MS Autoroute off Amazon/Canada suggested by Hal.

3. one1

one1 Member

Looks like I am going to need lots more clarification about the plane. My friend is now in Africa for 2 months.
    When he gets back and I find out more I'll try this again

4. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

One1,

OK, but when you get back to this whenever it is, please continue on this thread, do not start a new thread. That way we will not have to re-invent the wheel, we will be able to see all that has been already done. Thanks.

5. one1

one1 Member

Attached are the pictures of the plane parts recovered after the war. Maybe some one call tell what they are and what type aircraft they are from.
    All further post about this mystery aircraft will be to this thread

Attached Files:

6. Lucky Partners

I'm no expert, but number 4 looks like it could be part of a landing gear door. No ideas on the rest of them.

7. 25Kingman49

The shape appears a bit different and no wheel dimple.
    p38-refueling.jpg

8. Lucky Partners

Scott,

Agree, and there is every possibility that these parts came from some other aircraft. There are MACRs for 53 US aircraft in that vicinity on that day alone. P-38s, P-47s, B-24s, B-17s, P-51s, and B-26. And surely there were some German aircraft that went down too. I think we've reached the point of spinning our wheels until some further clarification comes along.

Hal

9. Sean Welch

Sean Welch New Member

To get this back on a P-38 track....
    The second photo in post 25, 2393.jpg, contains part numbers. For some reason the image has been flipped, but with a bit of reprocessing they are readable.
    Part number 224298 indicates that this is from a P-38.
    The other number visible is 2697R.

Sean

Attached Files:

10. one1

one1 Member

Well at least we know it is from a P-38. Thanks Sean.

11. one1

one1 Member

Some additional info : Mirfield is the name of the town and Zum Kump 7 is a road that runs thru the town.
    The MACR's show two towns Gerolstein and Simmerath as the place where most of the attacks on the P-38's occurred.
    Gerolstein is 23 miles South East of Mirfeld and Simmerath is 18 miles North of Mirfeld as the crow flies.

12. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

Picture 4 looks like a solid hit for a P-38 gunbay door -- not a F-5 Photo reconn as it does not have the Camera door) - photo 5 I am assuming is the outside of this gunbay door and is a faded brick color -- telling me this was an olived drab P-38J fighter

gunbay 2.jpg gunbay.JPG

25Kingman49 likes this.
  13. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

Picture 3 is a solid it for the left engine upper outer cowling on a P-38 --- this aircraft obviously came down in one piece (Belly landing ??)
    engine cowling 2.JPG engine cowling.jpg

14. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

I am convinced it it one of the P-38J-10-LO Birds

42-68082

42-68089

42-68186

Two of them are unknown / unconfirmed crash site -- 42-68082 & 42-68186

15. 25Kingman49

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  16. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Both Calvacca and Gildow were killed on 17 December. Teddy Modzeleski was taken POW.

https://aad.archives.gov/aad/print-...592,95688,95695,95704,95722,95733,95767,95815

http://www.fieldsofhonor-database.c...ar-cemetery-ardennes-c/47562-calvacca-james-v
    http://www.fieldsofhonor-database.c...war-cemetery-ardennes-g/65920-gildow-george-j

My guess would be it is possibly the crash of Teddy Modzeleski. When you read his MACR there is given his last seen position at wL2920 (south of Gerolstein) which is where the P-38s were in a dogfight with the FW-190s. No statement about an actual crash (or crash landing) location in the MACR but maybe Dave has that info.

There are a series of articles in the Akron Ohio paper. He was listed as missing in an article that appeared on 12 Jan, 1945. On 1 February, 1945 he is listed as a POW (wounded) and in a German Prison Camp hospital. Then a June 12 1945 story says he is on the way home.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017