1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. The forum archives, past and present, were successfully transferred to the Heritage League of the Second Air Division. Two conditions were agreed upon; 1) all user email addresses would be protected, and 2) all private messages would remain private. On Dec 1st, the AAF domain will convert to a simple landing page to stay out of spammer hands.
    Dismiss Notice

October 13. 1944, killed airmen without MACR

Discussion in '464th BG - Pantanella' started by Milos, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Milos

Milos Member

Hello,

I looking for info on airmen who were killed on October 13. 1944, from 777bs
    I have names of three airmen:
    - Joseph Finley, 2nd lt
    - Romeo Lombardo, cpl
    - John Smallbones, cpl

They are not listed in MACRs for October 13 listed on 464bg internet page, nor I found them on Fold3
    http://464th.jkhathaway.org/index.htm

NMR of October 13 mission is available, and contains useful information
    http://464th.jkhathaway.org/nmr/1944/464_NMR_10-13-44.pdf

On last page there is info that plane 42-78418 reported as missing, is corrected to crashed on emergency landing on island of Vis, and that all crew members were killed.
    There seems to be typo, since 42-78418 is from another BG, and on previous page 42-78415 is reported as missing. So I would presume that 42-78415 is correct serial.

Since they crashed on allied territory, that explains why no MACR was made.

I would like to check on correct serial, and to find out other names of crew.

2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

3. Milos

Milos Member

Hello Airwar,
    all American airmen buried in Yugoslavia were in late 40's transferred mainly to Italy.
    On the other hand, British still have their military cemetery in Belgrade, where their fallen ones were transferred from other places in Yugoslavia.

In documents whose links I posted you can see that those airmen were killed while trying to land on Vis island.

4. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

5. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Airwar and Milos like this.
  6. Milos

Milos Member

Rswank,
    well done!

All names are listed as being buried in Yugoslavia.
    I noticed that there are no MACR of AAIR for this plane.

7. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

No MACR because no one was actually missing.