nwe poster and a first for the 392nd?

Discussion in '392nd BG - Wendling' started by nc rick, Mar 1, 2016.

1. nc rick

nc rick New Member

Hello! I'm new here, forgive if I am posting incorrectly. My father in law was a radio man in this bomb group. I look forward to learning more. We have his uniform and other artifacts. Very proud of his service and we mis him.

2. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

First step would be to tell us his name and anything you know about his wartime service. Posting scans of photos and documents would also be helpful. The name of a pilot he flew with and any aircraft names or serial numbers would be helpful. Ask us questions about what you would like to learn and we will do our best to fill in the blanks.

Here is a link to a web site about the 392nd Bomb Group:
    http://www.b24.net/index.html

25Kingman49 likes this.
  3. Lucky Partners

Rick,

As you can see your thread is the one that disappeared into the ozone when the Forum took a dump a week ago. It is unfortunate that your first experience with this Forum has turned out this way.

As I recall member 25Kingman49 and I had uncovered a few answers for you but I have long forgotten what information we had found. If you want to give this another try you will need to once again provide us with whatever information you have, starting with his name.

25Kingman49 likes this.
  4. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Lucky Partners likes this.
  5. Lucky Partners

Ah! Thanks Scott. I dump my history and recycle bin daily. So now a little bit comes back. The bottom picture with Miss Minnie II would have been taken no earlier than late October. The a/c listing on the 392nd BG web site says this a/c, 42-78477, was assigned to them on June 16, 1944. There are 60 mission markers above the name so based on the mission list on that same web site we get to late October. Of course just because the picture was taken in front of Miss Minnie it in no way indicates whether that crew actually ever flew on that aircraft. Most crew photos were taken where it was convenient for the photographer to set up. If Rick is interested he can go to the 'mission' page of the web site and click on the shaded dates. That will take him to the report for that date which includes the a/c crew loading lists and the a/c tail number for each crew that day. http://www.b24.net/missions/index.htm
    As an example the Fox crew did fly on 477 on November 26, 1944.
    http://www.b24.net/missions/MM112644.htm

6. nc rick

nc rick New Member

So cool! I will post up some more later ( work interfering ). Top photo, bottom row of men ( kneeling) middle of the row is Henry.

Thank you so much!

7. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Hal.

Rick,
    Might I also add to Hal's sentiments and regrets in post #3 regarding the unfortunate loss of data to your thread during a forum server issue. One would think this forums administration would have a better method for at least daily if not hourly captures of "ALL" thread data to minimize these lose types but sadly it seems this is not the case. As such, I have taken the liberty to capture this thread as of post #5 at the internet archive here https://web.archive.org/web/2016031...ads/nwe-poster-and-a-first-for-the-392nd.419/
    Regardless of what happens to this AAF forum in the future your thread is safely achieved at that point in time, you may wish to save that web address.

My apologies to you Rick for making this point in your thread, however since you were a victim of this type of data loss it seems appropriate. This also serves as a suggestion/warning to other forum members to protect your work product on this forum by your own hand [not counting on forum admin help/salvation]. For the researchers on this forum who all serve Pro bono it can be very disturbing to have hours/days of research vaporize (due to forum issues) and then there is the cost to the original poster many times a new member struggling with forum protocol in the first place. Anyway, save your individual threads here https://archive.org/web/ often, extremely easy using their Save Page Now [box feature], a simple copy and paste operation. Please understand (if not already obvious) each capture point only represents that thread page (not the whole forum) at that moment in time.

Thank you, Rick for your patients. This forum remains in a major reconstruction mode (earlier than your data loss), after a complete server "melt-down" of the (Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, Fukushima) type. This AAF forum has been in existence since the early 2000's and overnight almost everything was lost, so what you see here including content in the 392nd BG forum is only a shell of what once existed. The forum administrator Scott Burris assures this "old" data content is safe, and will eventually be restored on the present forum web format/platform; (we'll see this Chernobyl crash occurred [for those members who remember] back in August 2015) still no restoration as yet.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016