Next of Kin - Medals

Discussion in 'Prisoners of War, MIA, & Internees' started by BMBazooka, Dec 19, 2016.

1. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Airwar likes this.
  2. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

25Kingman49 likes this.
  3. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Was it common that the parents or NOK of POWs got the medals?

4. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Not sure how common this NOK award practice was for POW's. It was common for posthumous awards, unclear if that is at all the case in this photo.

5. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  6. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Larr and Guinn were both alive. Larr I guess in Gross-Tychow, Guinn I do not know yet.
    Guinn was heavily beaten when he came down in Salzburg. Because he looked a little bit like an Afro-American, or these folks thought like one would be, they run over him. Especially the women.

7. 25Kingman49

I think this T/Sgt James J Verdi is attached. Wounded and a POW but survived the war.

Attached Files:

8. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

I#ll be offline for some hours. Thank you very much for all your help!

9. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Now this one was posthumous. Jane R Dalton (third woman from the right) was the mother of Willam A Dalton, Jr who died Sept 18, 1944. I would have thought they would have also given her a Purple Heart at the same time.

https://www.geogravesllc.com/ardennes-american-cemetery/william-dalton-jr/

The 2nd man from the left (getting the medal), is Reginald V Woodcock. He was the father of James L Woodcock. James L Woodcock is still listed MIA. But James did get a Distinguished Flying Cross, an Air Medal and a Purple Heart.
    https://www.abmc.gov/node/524353#.WFhZJPErJ1Y

So not all of these airmen were POWs and not all were alive either. Also some did get Purple Hearts but not apparently in this ceremony. In some ways a rather odd event.

BMBazooka likes this.
  10. 25Kingman49

It would be interesting to read the full article from the Philadelphia Evening Bulletin 1945-03-01. It might shed some light on the meaning and purpose of this event beyond the obvious.

11. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

You are right, but i didn't find it online.

12. 25Kingman49

I also searched online yesterday with no joy. Maybe Jaap or someone with a "newspapers" subscription can find this article.

13. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

I did search on newspapers.com and could not find any reference to this event. It appears all the families were from the Philadelphia area. The Philadelphia Evening Bulletin does not appear to be included on newspapers.com and apparently no other papers picked up the story.

14. 25Kingman49

From the original link dropping down left sidebar to Subject https://dp.la/search?subject=World+War,+1939-1945--Medals offers some additional award presentations, none with as many people involved.

What I find most unusual about the original image is that the award is actually being pinned on a civilian family member, which would seem to violate military etiquette and protocol. Presenting the award in its box to the family member would be more proper.