New here and looking for info on my Dad

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by morgan_lee, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Dale,

The information you posted above comes from the data area stenciled on the nose of each plane. Frequently this area is partially or totally covered by nose art. A sample is attached.

data.jpg

2. Dale noviasky

Dale noviasky New Member

I thank you! Now that you mentioned this, yes, I do recall having seen this.
    Nice to have clarification!
    Thank-you,
    Dale

3. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Jaap,

Note that the King crew is on the same loading list as I posted above. I have a photo of his ship going down in flames. In Hughes case the ship was not lost so no MACR. Lt Hughes was the only casualty on his ship. See where KIA is marked next to his name. Interesting obit about Parmalee, Fort Myers is only about 30 miles north of me.

Hal

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Airwar likes this.
  4. pathfinder504

pathfinder504 Active Member

Went back thru this thread and did not see any reference to the inspiration for Blonde Bomber II---it happens to be the June 1943 centerfold from ESQUIRE.

upload_2017-3-30_10-43-26.jpeg

Airwar likes this.
  5. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

6. Dale noviasky

Dale noviasky New Member

Hello, Hal!
    Dale in CT here. I have a question regarding a different B-17 bomber. Nose Art is: DUMPLIN. Corporal/Crew Chief was James J. Julian of CT. I would love to know about Julian's service record, length of service, where, etc. Also about the B-17 itself. I have a photo and from what I can determine, the serial number was: 42-31264. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated, and also any other photos of Julian that exist, I would love to see and/or get the links to them, if I can access them. I thank you! Dale (female)

Airwar likes this.
  7. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Dale is this the James J.Julian ??

Attached Files:

25Kingman49 likes this.
  8. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 11:45 AM
  9. Dale noviasky

Dale noviasky New Member

Hello!
    Yes, that is the same James! I thank you!!
    Dale

10. Dale noviasky

Dale noviasky New Member

The photo i have shows this same James J. julian standing in front of the B-17 "Dumplin" with the previously mentioned serial number. I obtained the photo at James's' Widow Mary's estate sale, so directly from his home.

11. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Are you willing to share a scanned copy of this photo with AAF forum members here?

12. Dale noviasky

Dale noviasky New Member

Hello!
    Yes, will do in a few days.
    I thank you,
    Dale

13. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Dale in the Obit of his wife you will find the information about his daughter and son,probably they having more
    information and photos.