1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. I no longer have the time to manage a project like this, obviously, or give it the attention that it deserves. I still think fondly of the early days in 1998 when this all got started. A small, but eager group of tech savvy 1st and 2nd generation descendants made great friends with the last of the WWII veterans thru the newfangled internet. They're all gone now. It's time for me to turn the page. Thanks for being along for part of the ride. I'm sorry it got so bumpy in the end.
    Dismiss Notice

New here and looking for info on my Dad

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by morgan_lee, Apr 12, 2016.

1. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Completing a tour with 32 missions might mean there was a "phase-in" for men who started their tour when the requirement was 30 and when the requirement changed to 35 they were far enough along in their count that they could be done at 32 rather than 35.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Looks like the "free" lookup services only have the address. The phone may be unlisted.

There is a book about the tail gunner Edmund Survilla. (Survilla is in the photo.)
    "Lucky Penny's Tail" by Gregory J Matenkoski. The book has 8 pages of photographs.
    https://www.createspace.com/3550860
    or here: http://www.amazon.com/Lucky-Pennys-Tail-Gregory-Matenkoski/dp/0615443753

Survilla died in 2008.
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timesleader/obituary.aspx?n=edmund-survilla&pid=118344546

There are some people on the 453rd guest book that at one time were trying to contact Radosevich. Go to this link
    http://www.453rdbg.com/Guest_Book.html
    and search for Radosevich
    Their email addresses may not still be valid but worth a shot.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  3. morgan_lee

morgan_lee Member

Just to let everyone know a huge weight has been lifted off of me and I can move forward, finding out this info is especially important, we don't have kids to pass this on to but this gives me an inner peace that I did not have before. And know that all of you understand this.
    I wrote a letter and sent the picture to Nick Radosevich I may not get to talk to him but that's okay too

4. morgan_lee

morgan_lee Member

Hi everyone, I have been in contact with Marilyn Radosevich (wife of Nick) and she was delighted to hear from me I am hoping to get to Florida by he end of the year. She seems to be moderating for Nick in the emails I have sent and and I have not asked why except for knowing he is 99 years old and she is 91 but she seems sharp as a tack. She told me SGT. R. Victor just passed away in February. and after I spoke to her the first time she got in contact with her friend Nancy Turwilliger (Jim) to tell her about finally hearing something about Leslie Lee but she had passed also. It is very depressing to see these people coming to an end and I regret not having this interest about 20 years ago but thats life and I'm fortunate for what I have learned and been able to contact.
    I read Lucky Penny's Tail that I bought off Amazon and learned quit a bit about what a B-24 bomber crew went thru during combat...amazing. I did note that the SGT Survilla had my dad listed as coming from Philadelphia instead of New Haven but who knows maybe that's what my dad told them but I would like to see it corrected. I have a question for some of you, I am trying to find someone that sells WW-ll reproduction flags such as 8TH AAF flags and BG Flags that I can fly, has anyone gone thru this? I can't seem to find anyone dealing in these flags. enclosed is Marilyn's 1st email response back to me. I would also like to hear some of the info and history of what some of your loved ones did during the war,

morgan

Morgan! I have so much to tell you about Crew 41.
    I can't believe your sisters are in New Port Richey. We are in NPR and they will know where SummerTree community is, off SR52. We have been here nearly 7
    years. We moved to FL in 1980 and lived down in Englewood (Sarasota Co.)for 26 years.

Many of our neighbors are leaving this weekend to go back North. If your sisters
    want to contact us warn them that we are finishing renovating...like HGTV..we knocked out walls and then needed to improve the living area.

On a sad note, I told you Bob Victor and Nick were the only survivors, and just found out Bob passed away a few months ago. I called Nancy Terwiliger (Jim) to tell her about finally hearing from Leslie Lee's family and learned she passed over Feb 1 (day before my 91st bday.) So Nick is the last man. We have journals and a number of books referencing LP.

Our address is 11602 Pampas Dr NPR 34654

One other coincidence, Nick traveled for North American (Boeing) for many years
    to New Haven doing Quality Control inspection on aircraft parts.

Your picture didn't come through. I will get back to you. We are looking forward to sharing the history. I will send you NIck's monograph.

Blessings,
    Marilyn

Airwar and Parker like this.
  5. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Morgan,

Regarding the Philadelphia connection, the Enlistment files at the National Archives show 23 men named Leslie Lee who enlisted during the War. Going through the list I see one from New Haven and one from Philadelphia. Somebody just picked the wrong one without checking it out to be sure they had the right person.

Hal

Parker likes this.
  6. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

7. morgan_lee

morgan_lee Member

I have been in phone contact with Marilyn and she is pretty sharp, however, 99 years has taken its toll on Nick's mind and memory, I may have caught him at a bad time though when I spoke to him.

8. Dale noviasky

Dale noviasky New Member

Hello! Dale here. I was the one who had/has the Lew Hughes photos and address book. I physically only have one photo left of Lt Lew Hughes, but i do also have some photos saved digitally. I still have stored in my computer, the photos of Lew Hughes AND the photo taken by the womens reserves photographer Dorothy Parmalee, who most likely was from C B-17WWIITheBlondeBomberDorothyParmaleephotographerMCWR.jpg B-17WWIITheBlondeBomberDorothyParmaleephotographerMCWR.jpg B-17WWIITheBlondeBomberDorothyParmaleephotographerMCWRb.jpg B-17WWIITheBlondeBomberDorothyParmaleephotographerMCWR.jpg B-17WWIITheBlondeBomberDorothyParmaleephotographerMCWRb.jpg T. DOROTHY HERSELF IS Up in the cockpit!! THIS BLONDE BOMBER WAS LEW HUGHES' plane, B-17

9. Lucky Partners

Dale,

Thanks for the pictures. Do you know the serial number of this B-17? My list for the 447th BG shows her as being 43-37869 and as lost to flak on November 25, 1944. The only photo I have is very poor quality, you can read the name but can't even see the artwork. I would LOVE to obtain a nice high resolution scan to join with the picture of Blonde Bomber II that I posted earlier in this thread.

Hal

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  10. Dale noviasky

Dale noviasky New Member

11. Dale noviasky

Dale noviasky New Member

Hello, Hal,
    No, unfortunately I do not have the serial number. Also, I no longer have the physical photo. I am curious to know, then, what plane Lew had been in when he was killed December 24, 1944, if this Blonde Bomber had been lost 1 month prior? I am not well versed at finding the best sources of military information, eventhough I firmly believe that preserving and passing down the history is paramount. Dale (female)

12. Lucky Partners

Dale,

Lew Hughes was with the Pearsall crew on December 24, 1944 when he was KIA. Loading list attached. They were flying 43-38524, Blonde Bomber II, on that mission. See the photo I posted earlier in this thread. The correct serial number for your photo of Blonde Bomber is 43-37869 as I posted above. So far I have been unable to learn exactly how Lt Hughes died but will continue to search for that information. There is a minimal mention of Lt Hughes on the site Find-a-grave.com but it tells us nothing.
    https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=16273501

Also see my comment in post #57.

Hal

HUGHES.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  13. Dale noviasky

Dale noviasky New Member

14. Dale noviasky

Dale noviasky New Member

I thank you so much, Hal. It is a wonder that after all of these years you are able to glean so much detailed information! For me, over the years, certain "estates", collections (or single items) have quite spoken to me. Lew's items certainly have. They seek out their "voices", their conduits. People such as yourself.

15. Dale noviasky

Dale noviasky New Member

I have never yet been able to find anything on Dorothy Parmalee. I would not doubt if she and Lew knew each other before the military. Parmalee is a family name from Wallingford/Cheshire/New Haven area here in CT.

16. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Hal the only 447th lost on December 24th 1944 was the B-17G # 44-8355
    with 2/Lt. Miles S. King as skipper. MACR 11119

Jaap

17. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Dale,probably obit of Dorothy Parmalee

Attached Files:

18. Dale noviasky

Dale noviasky New Member

19. Dale noviasky

Dale noviasky New Member

Hal,
    Last night, I found in my computer, the following information from the photo of Lew Hughes' Blonde Bomber (dated in my computer as August of 2010). I believe the information had been on the back of the photo.
    I had written/copied the following information:
    ParmaleeDorothyMCWRphotographer
    The B-17G photo- us army model B-17G-20-30
    Air Forces Serial No. 43-37 85
    Crew weight 1200 lbs.
    43-27865*
    43-27 85

If you have any insight, interpretation to be gained from these, I would love to learn. Thank-you, Dale

20. Dale noviasky

Dale noviasky New Member

Hello!
    I thank you very much for the information! Have you any information regarding her as a MC Women's Reservist?
    Also, (this digressing from strictly military reference) oddly enough, I looked on findagrave.com.
    Her memorial, # 141584011, shows the other name on her tombstone/headstone as ERNEST.
    From what I see on Ancestry.com, that was the first name of her FATHER, Ernest Parmalee.
    The obituary notice says that her 2nd husband's name was Joseph Lengyel.
    It is nice to see the USMC emblem on her headstone.
    Dale