1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. I no longer have the time to manage a project like this, obviously, or give it the attention that it deserves. I still think fondly of the early days in 1998 when this all got started. A small, but eager group of tech savvy 1st and 2nd generation descendants made great friends with the last of the WWII veterans thru the newfangled internet. They're all gone now. It's time for me to turn the page. Thanks for being along for part of the ride. I'm sorry it got so bumpy in the end.
    Dismiss Notice

New here and looking for info on my Dad

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by morgan_lee, Apr 12, 2016.

1. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Early 1944 is when the missions went to 30 and sometime in the summer of 44 they went to 35.

2. morgan_lee

morgan_lee Member

That is amazing to see and something I never knew but I have no clue of them. My wife just mentioned that he must of been on leave at this time because he was wearing his uniform when he got married(stationed in Texas I believe) in early 1945.

3. morgan_lee

morgan_lee Member

We took his wedding picture out of the frame and noticed the 2nd AF patch so in 1945 that is where he was

Attached Files:

4. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Morgan,

Looking at the ribbons he is wearing in the wedding picture. I think the ribbon on the left is the DFC. The middle ribbon is probably the Air Medal with it looks like maybe 3 (or is it 4) OLCs. The ribbon on the right may be the European Campaign Ribbon with 2 ( maybe 3?) service stars. Hard to tell in the posted photo. You may be able to see it better.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    25Kingman49 likes this.
  5. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Morgan,
    This thread is running a little quickly for me. The wedding picture you attached post #83; What was the date of this wedding? Who was being married? The Second Air Force patch would indicate to me (from what I "think" we know) is that this photo was taken after his return to the United States after 8th AF service, with the only evidence being the 2nd AF patch in this photo and decorations. If all this is true he would no longer be in Texas as that was not Second Air Force territory.
    "My wife just mentioned that he must of been on leave at this time because he was wearing his uniform when he got married(stationed in Texas I believe) in early 1945." please explain further, is this related to your attached photo post #83???.

6. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Hey Morgan, are you SURE you don't have anything else? Sometimes it can be the smallest detail that provides the answers. Have you asked your uncle if he has any correspondence from your father or if maybe he knows something about the people in the wedding where he was an usher, or maybe people who attended your parents wedding? Any other photos? Or maybe a document stuffed into an old book? After my father died 35 years ago I found some amazing things in the least likely places.

25Kingman49 likes this.
  7. Lucky Partners

Scott,

Looking at the map you posted earlier it appears the 2nd AF was basically in the Northwest quadrant. Hey Morgan, what was your mother doing at the time they got married? Was she in the service too? My father was stationed in Texas at the time and my mother was in the Navy and they got married in a central location they both could get to easily.

25Kingman49 likes this.
  8. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Hal,

There are still a lot of unanswered questions here (no fault of anyone - just the way it is) but I think Rolland nailed this post 8th AF service back in post #49 i.e. "The 241st was assigned to the 15th Bombardment Training Wing (September 1943 - March 1944), then transferred to the 17th Bombardment Training Wing in March 1944 for B-29 training."

I suspect our Lt. Lee was somewhere within Second Air Force training B-29 bombardiers or was assigned some other related duty. All based on the Second Air Force SSI and uniform awards pictured by Morgan.

9. morgan_lee

morgan_lee Member

Let me think about some of these questions and check some dates... waiting to hear from my uncle about medals and newspaper articles also sent an email to Worthpoint about the address book of LT Hughes. Thanks guys

25Kingman49 likes this.
  10. morgan_lee

morgan_lee Member

Good morning guy's I had some time to slowdown and think and come up with some things as far as a possible timeline to rule in or out, I also have some good news; My uncle (Dads 10 year younger brother) has said ''without a doubt''the guy sitting on the jeep is my Dad now I feel pretty good about that as you can imagine but my uncle's memory is fading and a small amount of wishfull thinking remains, so moving on and ASSUMING he was in the 453rd I want to go back to the Burns(officer) and Wade (Ssgt) picture I posted earlier.The picture was taken in Dec 1943 and I did nOt mention earlier that it is in an original paper frame from'' International Settlement'' San Francisco. Now I believe this picture meant a lot to Dad (pre-deployment with some of your crew members?). QUESTION. could I presume this was part of his combat crew also knowing the 453rd had ties to San Fransisco and Why else could he be out in California and remember he graduated from the class 43-11 so the timeline looks about right if he was out there for combat training/pre deployment. Another question, would the 453rd go to Florida-Brazil-North Africa-England (is this what they mean by Southern Route) because that is what my uncle remembers. Hopefully you guys have some expert thoughts on this
    I did some more looking thru pictures etc and there are no letters/documents etc to be found so I will just list a few thing my memory and pictures tell:
    -Remembered Dad was also a Navigator I have his charting tools, stopwatch and remember mom mentioning that.
    -He married Shirley Louise Monahan (in nursing school at Texas) March 6 1945
    - I put a magnifying glass on a picture of a parking sticker on dads car and it says "Fairmont'' this was a picture dated Aug. 1945. and he is standing with a 2nd LT Grant Patton, picture says York Nebraska Aug 1945.
    You guys were right based on the picture and dates that Dad came back from combat to the 241st instead of leaving from the 241st, and It makes a little more sense to me why that is on his headstone because that is where he probably was when he met my Mom and it was his last unit.
    I sent another email to my uncle and instead of asking him people places and things I gave him a list of AAF in England (about 20 I came up with) so this way he can read the names and may remember by seeing it instead of trying to recall from memory (hopefully Old Buckingham)
    That's what I have for now and hopefully You guys will add some insight to this. I feel nothing worse that someone would be forgotten and I want to do my part to see that I can help even just by listing some of the names that I have mentioned,Dad, Burns,Wade,Patton, Hughes and all the others and feel we can never quite live up to what our greatest generation accomplished.

11. Lucky Partners

Morgan,
    Curious if you have explored the resources of other web sites? Absent any other leads you may want to dig further into the 453rd BG. There are several web sites, a Facebook page, a Flicker album with over 600 photographs, etc. This thread is now in excess of 90 posts and there still are no definitive answers in sight. Consider taking that crew photo that I posted way back in post #6 and post it to the Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/groups/453BG/and ask if anyone can identify the men in the jeep and maybe the date when the photo was taken. If someone can identify the men you can either confirm that it is your father or move on. You can also go to the Flicker album and carefully look at the photos and see if you recognize anyone. https://www.flickr.com/photos/oldbuckshots/sets/72157632031006191/ You can also go to the 453rd BG web site and send an e-mail to the webmaster and ask if he has any information that might help you, specifically does he have any rosters or crew lists that he can check to see if your father's name appears anywhere. http://www.453rdbg.com/453rd_History.html

12. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Morgan, a little on International Settlement:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Settlement_(San_Francisco)
    I agree with what Hal has said above, you need to go after the 453rd connection with the links he gave. That needs to be confirmed. There is lots of information available on the Southern Route on the web. Note the 453rd worked up at March Field near Riverside CA, before going overseas. Some distance from San Fransciso.

13. morgan_lee

morgan_lee Member

Yes I am trying to follow up on as much as I can I have sent ''sign in info'' to the 453rd but it seems there is a problem on the site but I don't give up easily and I am limited in my ability on how to do research. but I am taking suggestions here. also, I have time issues because of my work to sift thru so much information, not to mention I am not the brightest bulb on the tree when it comes to using the computer/ internet to research I'm still trying to figure out things on this site so I am slow.
    thanks for the info. and I think I did a pretty good job with the San Fransisco link to the 453rd even if its wrong But your right I need to start with them at this point

thanks, morgan

14. Lucky Partners

Here is the email address for the 453rd webmaster: webmaster@453rdbg.com You don't need to have a 'sign in' unless you want to post something to their guestbook.

15. Lucky Partners

He married Shirley Louise Monahan (in nursing school at Texas) March 6 1945

So this is why they got married in Texas, that's where your mother was in school. He traveled to Texas to get married, he was not stationed in Texas.

16. Lucky Partners

When I posted the crew picture in post #6 I neglected to include the notation that identified the photo with the 453rd BG. That notation is attached below. I have just sent an email to the person who posted that notation asking if he has any further information regarding the identity of these men. If he replies I will post that information.

LUCKY PENNY II CREW.jpg

17. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

I just found an interesting photo. The photo appears on this site:
    https://donmooreswartales.com/2012/03/14/nick-radosevich/
    with the caption:

"The crew of “Lucky Penny” a B-24 crew is being debriefed on the runway at their home base in England following their first bombing raid along the French coast on D-Day during the Second World War. Photo provided"

Here is a link to the photo by itself (but I will also include the photo below):
    https://donmooreswartales.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/img003.jpg

Look at the crew name captions, one of the members is "Lee".

LeePhoto.jpg

Another story on Nick Radosevich. These two newspaper stories this one and the one above, tell the story of Lucky Penny and Lucky Penny II.
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/humani...-former-wwii-pilot-flies-back-in-time/1069525

His address in New Port Richy can be found via whitepages.com. Age is given as 98.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Airwar and 25Kingman49 like this.
  18. morgan_lee

morgan_lee Member

I presume so. I do not know that he was actually stationed in Texas,

19. morgan_lee

morgan_lee Member

After the tears clear up and mind clears I will post something... never thought I would find this out and that is him! Roland, I am at a loss for words

you guys are something else!

Airwar and 25Kingman49 like this.
  20. Lucky Partners

Rolland,

Great find!!

OK Morgan here's your big chance. If you asked Rolland to PM you this phone number would you call this man??? Those of us who have had the good fortune to do exactly that would tell you that in spite of initial apprehension making a call like this is an absolutely wonderful experience. And given the passage of time there will not be many more who will have such an opportunity. Go for it!!

Hal

Lynn Dollar Jr and Airwar like this.