1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. I no longer have the time to manage a project like this, obviously, or give it the attention that it deserves. I still think fondly of the early days in 1998 when this all got started. A small, but eager group of tech savvy 1st and 2nd generation descendants made great friends with the last of the WWII veterans thru the newfangled internet. They're all gone now. It's time for me to turn the page. Thanks for being along for part of the ride. I'm sorry it got so bumpy in the end.
    Dismiss Notice

New here and looking for info on my Dad

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by morgan_lee, Apr 12, 2016.

1. morgan_lee

morgan_lee Member

Hello I was hoping to find some help locating info on my Dads squadron and perhaps aircraft. I filled out the form to records in St Louis... still waiting to hear. I am hoping to find his Squadron etc. This is what I know... he was from the 43-11 bombardier class 2nd Lt bombardier (his picture is in the midland texas bombardier grad book), his grave headstone say's he was from the 241st base unit. however my Uncle states that he was stationed in England. Now my understanding is the 241st (from Fairmont NE) was part of the mediteranan theatre so I am at a loss trying to figure what squadron/bomb group he might have been in.... I have patches and medals from his uniform one that has an 8 with wings and the other an eagle with a star above it ( 2nd air force I presume) so thats mostly all I know. thanks for reading this

morgan

2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Dear Morgan,

Welcome on this forum. Do you have more information like name,rank,birth & burial,Army Service Number.
    If so then our researchers can help you,

regards Jaap Vermeer MDE

3. morgan_lee

morgan_lee Member

Thank you sir for your reply, I do have that information

Leslie (nmi) Lee 2nd LT
    born dec 15 1921 died jan 29 1971
    I see 2 numbers, 0-688368 and another under his name on a dog tag 11068107

again, thanks morgan

4. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Morgan for ASN 11068107 I found another person, Leroy J.Field

5. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

I think his enlisted serial number may have been 11066107. His enlistment record is here:
    https://aad.archives.gov/aad/record...ll&tf=F&q=11066107&bc=&rpp=10&pg=1&rid=407808

He enlisted 15 Apr 42 in Hartford Connecticut. He was born in MI.

When he became an officer, he would have gotten that 2nd serial number. The base unit was probably the unit he was discharged from and has nothing really to do with his service overseas.

There was a bombardier, Leslie Lee in the 453rd BG, 734th BS according to this:

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/147216

I did not find anything on the 453rd BG website here:
    www.453rdbg.com
    but you may want to try and contact them and see if they have any info.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  6. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    Parker likes this.
  7. morgan_lee

morgan_lee Member

thanks for this, this is him but not his picture in the 453rd

8. morgan_lee

morgan_lee Member

thanks for the replies I looked at the picture but it is not him. I guess it is unfortunate in way that as we get older we often end up with more questions than answers unfortunatly he died when I was 10 and my mother died years later I find it mind puzzling his 241st unit is on his headstone and nothing else

you guys are great... thanks

9. pathfinder504

pathfinder504 Active Member

Just FYI--The first two digits of this ASN are significant. The first digit 1 signifies that he voluntarily enlisted.

The second digit 1 references Corps Area 1 which are the New England States. The following six numbers are simply sequential.

If his number had been 201 the 20 would indicate he was in the Guard or Reserves...the third digit being the Corps Area.

If the first digit was 3 it would indicate he was drafted. Second digit 1 again Corps Area.

After April 43 everybody who entered service--whether enlisted or drafted--was given a first digit 3...then 4...and a few 5s....And the practice of issuing first digit 1 for voluntary enlistment did not resume until after the war. My dad received a first digit 1 when he enlisted in the USAF in 1950.

I have never been able to determine the methodology for the sequence of Officers O numbers.

10. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Morgan, the photo shown on the link http://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/147216 is just generic when they don't have an actual photo. (I don't know why they do that).

The crewmen are actually named if you click on the more information tab.

Pathfinder504, officer serial numbers were assigned in "blocks" at the time a group of men were commissioned. All men in the same class at the same school, who were commissioned on a given date would have consecutive serial numbers. There would be no "connection" with the next group of men graduating from the same school in the next class. I have used this knowledge to track down what school/class a particular man was in when commissioned.

11. morgan_lee

morgan_lee Member

The other numbers I have are a long shot and I was not in the military so I dont know numbers but I have his AAF trunk/chest with his name and his 0-688368 number next to that and in the upper right the numbers L-53
    E-32-2

12. morgan_lee

morgan_lee Member

I will look further on that page, thanks I didnt know that was a file image

13. Lucky Partners

14. morgan_lee

morgan_lee Member

My God I believe that is him in the front right sitting on the jeep with suspender straps... I am at a loss for words

Attached Files:

15. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

The straps are his parachute harness.

Just for grins I used a face identification progam (twinsornot.net) on these two photos.
    For what it is worth, the progam "matches" the photos at 85%.

Pic1.png Pic2.png

16. pathfinder504

FWIW the guy you think might be your dad is wearing a QAC (Quick attachable Chest) harness and has his chest chute in his lap. I was a living history bombardier for 13 years and can tell you that wearing a seat pack--like the guy to the left (note D-ring ripcord) is not convenient if you are a bombardier in a B-17 or B-24. Their crew station seats are not made for seat packs.

So I think it is likely that this guy is either the bombardier or navigator of this crew.

The bag hanging down if front is a standard issue Musette Bag--usually used as a backpack by infantry. It is unfortunately neither the navigator's or bombardier's special equipment case. Navigators cases were leather briefcases. Bombardier's E-1 Bags were canvas briefcases.

The QAC was intended to be carried aboard and clipped on if necessary. Gunners and other crew would tether themselves to their chutes with a rope or length of para cord to reel it in if the s**t hit the fan. Sitting in a B-24 or B-17 bombardier's seat with a QAC permanently attached is like sitting in a third grade school chair when you are 8-months pregnant, so it was kept near by if needed..

As for the photo comparison I wish the guy on the jeep had a more pronounced cleft chin to add a few points to RSwank's 85%...

17. Lucky Partners

You can download that crew picture, just right click on the image and select 'save'.

18. pathfinder504

RSwank--I tried that twins site with two pics of a guy I have--one from his 1938 yearbook and the other from a 1944 crew pic. I got two answers---47% and 54%....the higher value was when I resubmitted a smaller tighter resolution....

19. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

My experience with that program is that you need really good quality pictures to work with. I have used it on several crew pictures and while it is "useful", it is not always "accurate" and it can sometimes get "fooled". However, just as an "experiment", I went back and downloaded the Jeep photo from fold3.com and did another screenshot (Pic3) to get a better resolution.

Now the twins program matches at 100%. (I don't think we are working with high quality photos here). So to the question as to whether or not that is Lee on the Jeep, I guess we could say it could well be him.

Pic2.png Pic3.png

20. morgan_lee

morgan_lee Member

This is very welcoming news even if some wishful thinking I added a few more pics for an opinion also. The picture with the 3 of them has the names Burns, Wade (sergeant stripes) and Lee dated 10 dec 43.

wouldn't that be something if that was him. anyway I feel a weight taken off my chest

thanks guys

Attached Files: