1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. I no longer have the time to manage a project like this, obviously, or give it the attention that it deserves. I still think fondly of the early days in 1998 when this all got started. A small, but eager group of tech savvy 1st and 2nd generation descendants made great friends with the last of the WWII veterans thru the newfangled internet. They're all gone now. It's time for me to turn the page. Thanks for being along for part of the ride. I'm sorry it got so bumpy in the end.
    Dismiss Notice

New Book out April 14 on the 14th Fighter Group. Plus, DPAA search on Sicily

Discussion in '14th FG' started by Robert Richardson, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Robert Richardson

Robert Richardson New Member

Hello to all, and regards from Spokane.

Two things to report.

I'm glad to report that the book I have been working on since 2014 will be out on April 15th, published by Stackpole Books. The book, "The Jagged Edge of Duty", describes the life and service of Lt. Allan Knepper, who flew with the 49th FS/14th FG in North Africa during the summer of 1943. The publisher had this to say about it:

"On the very first day of the invasion of Sicily, three months into his combat career, Allan Knepper flew his P-38 Lightning fighter in a squadron sent out to sweep the island and interdict German ground targets. Retreating German infantry unexpectedly pounded the American flyers. Knepper was one of two shot down; he was never found. Knepper’s story is the story-in-microcosm of thousands of American fighter pilots in World War II. Richardson recounts Knepper’s experiences from training through combat and uses them to discuss the aircraft, tactics and doctrine, training, base life, and aerial combat of the war. This is the intimate account of one pilot at war, but also the anatomy of the fighter-pilot.

To learn more, see: https://www.facebook.com/Robert.Richardson2017/

By special permission of the publisher, I have arranged for Chapter One to be uploaded onto Scribd.com. You can read it online at https://www.scribd.com/document/340448210/The-Jagged-Edge-of-Duty-Chapter-ONE

The second item to report relates to events that transpired in Sicily this month. In the course of my research for Jagged Edge, I worked with a local researcher in Sicily to investigate potential crash sites there. His efforts yielded positive results, so positive that we were able to interest the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Office in the project. DPAA sent a team to Sicily in late February to investigate several suspected crash sites in the SE sector of Sicily, and it is my understanding that they had a measure of success in their efforts. Their final report is not yet available, but you can be sure I will share it with you when it is. I have attached a photo of the primary crash site they were investigating. I am happy to answer any further questions about this search.

Attached Files:

Andrew Arthy and Airwar like this.
  2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Thanks Robert and welcome to this forum. I will buy this book .

Jaap