My Dad's Photos of 10th PRG

Discussion in '10th PRG' started by Jerry, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Jerry

Jerry New Member

My Dad, Capt. Elmer T Olson, was the Assistant Ops Officer in the 12th TRS, one of the P51 reconn squadrons in the 10th PRG. He arrived in England right after D-Day, and was in the 12th until after VE Day. I have a Picassa web album containing photos and additional information at this link:

https://get.google.com/albumarchive.../AF1QipNgzGJUKK0aeFAHW-JOmmDunXMszoNACRAF1Jve

My Dad was pretty meticulous in recording all his missions in his pilot's logbook. I've used his logbook along with the book, “Aerial Reconnaissance – The 10th Photo Recon Group in WWII by Tom Ivie, to map out all the airfields where the 12th TRS was based through-out the war in Europe. One of the images in the Picassa file is that map. The map was created on Google Earth, and has pushpins identifying each airfield along with the dates the 12th TRS was at that airfield. I have a .KMZ file that when loaded into Google Earth enables clicking on each push-pin to open up additional information about each airfield. (It appears the .KMZ file type cannot be uploaded to this site.) If you would like that Google Earth file I'll gladly send it to you, just send me a message.

Luc Vervoort and Lucky Partners like this.
  2. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Great album, thanks for sharing. At random I landed on the picture of the Mainz dam, guess that's his plane reflected in the surface of the water.

3. Jerry

Jerry New Member

I can't say the plane shadow in that image is his plane. The reconn squadrons had photo developers with them to enable quickly developing the films and getting the info passed on up the chain. Pilots were allowed to get copies of images they wanted to keep if the images weren't classified or restricted.

4. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Here is a link to a Dropbox folder that contains two files. One is a 20MB PDF file containing scanned images of my Dad's logbook. This logbook covers all his training as well as all his combat missions until late April, 1944, just before VE day.
    The other file is the Google Earth .KMZ file that when opened in Google Earth contains all the airfield location pushpins. Clicking on each pushpin opens up details about the airfield at that location.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i0fysrn95p8xdud/AABV5Si2Nhon6VnvfZQOpGDla?dl=0

Let me know if you encounter any issues accessing the folder or files at this link. (Dropbox seems a bit elusive getting the sharing to work.)

Luc Vervoort likes this.
  5. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Logbook opened just fine.

.KMZ file would not open. 'This file type cannot be viewed'. Guess can only be used through Google Earth so probably need to download it first.

6. Jerry

Jerry New Member

You do need to have Google Earth loaded on the PC to open the .KMZ file.