1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. The forum archives, past and present, were successfully transferred to the Heritage League of the Second Air Division. Two conditions were agreed upon; 1) all user email addresses would be protected, and 2) all private messages would remain private. On Dec 1st, the AAF domain will convert to a simple landing page to stay out of spammer hands.
    Dismiss Notice

MG- number

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by Dnalor, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Dnalor

Dnalor Member

Hi All,

a friend of mine asked me, if I could identify a plane by the number(s) of installed MG-Guns.

Gernerally it works via Fold 3, but I have no matching with this number, shown on a USAAF-MG-gun:
    SB 2502 or SB 2562. (B17!)

Do you have any explanations for this case?

I hope to receive a foto of the number very soon.

Many thx for yr replies.
    dnalor

2. Dnalor

Dnalor Member

Sorry, i did not see the number before. Of course this is not a MG- Serial number!.
    Best
    dnalor

Attached Files:

3. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

The best way to identify an aircraft is to start with what is known -- say you have 4-6 wrecks in a general location, you pull-up the individual MACR's and cross reference with the serial numbers listed.

As far as I know, there is no master list (yet) that cross references .50 with an airframe.

Agree the photo does not show a serial number, this is a forging number. Not even sure this is part of a .50 cal

Cheers

4. Dnalor

Dnalor Member

Thx terveurn for advice.
    Actually it would be advantageous to have such a list.
    Sometimes MG numbers put on Fold 3 lead to the re MACRs.
    Best
    dnalor

5. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Active Member

Hello dnalor,
    You seem to suggest it comes from a B17 ?
    Also it would help if a locality was known as it would perhaps highlight a particular aircraft lost in that area.
    Alex

6. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Active Member

Hello,
    Just a though, could it be an engine part ?
    I note from some macr's that some engine numbers begin with SW- followed by numbers.
    So were there also engine numbers that started with SB- followed by numbers ?
    If so perhaps that is a route to follow.

W for Wichita, B for Beoing

Alex

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017