MG- number

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by Dnalor, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Dnalor

Dnalor Member

Hi All,

a friend of mine asked me, if I could identify a plane by the number(s) of installed MG-Guns.

Gernerally it works via Fold 3, but I have no matching with this number, shown on a USAAF-MG-gun:
    SB 2502 or SB 2562. (B17!)

Do you have any explanations for this case?

I hope to receive a foto of the number very soon.

Many thx for yr replies.
    dnalor

2. Dnalor

Dnalor Member

Sorry, i did not see the number before. Of course this is not a MG- Serial number!.
    Best
    dnalor

Attached Files:

3. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

The best way to identify an aircraft is to start with what is known -- say you have 4-6 wrecks in a general location, you pull-up the individual MACR's and cross reference with the serial numbers listed.

As far as I know, there is no master list (yet) that cross references .50 with an airframe.

Agree the photo does not show a serial number, this is a forging number. Not even sure this is part of a .50 cal

Cheers

4. Dnalor

Dnalor Member

Thx terveurn for advice.
    Actually it would be advantageous to have such a list.
    Sometimes MG numbers put on Fold 3 lead to the re MACRs.
    Best
    dnalor

5. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Active Member

Hello dnalor,
    You seem to suggest it comes from a B17 ?
    Also it would help if a locality was known as it would perhaps highlight a particular aircraft lost in that area.
    Alex

6. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Active Member

Hello,
    Just a though, could it be an engine part ?
    I note from some macr's that some engine numbers begin with SW- followed by numbers.
    So were there also engine numbers that started with SB- followed by numbers ?
    If so perhaps that is a route to follow.

W for Wichita, B for Beoing

Alex

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017