1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. The forum archives, past and present, were successfully transferred to the Heritage League of the Second Air Division. Two conditions were agreed upon; 1) all user email addresses would be protected, and 2) all private messages would remain private. On Dec 1st, the AAF domain will convert to a simple landing page to stay out of spammer hands.
    Dismiss Notice

Masters of the Air: Tribute to the Mighty Eighth

Discussion in 'Heavy & Very Heavy Bombers' started by 25Kingman49, Dec 10, 2015.

1. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Well, it has been some time since this subject has been broached on this forum. Here is the latest link to this subject that I can find http://www.flyingmag.com/pilots-places/pilots-adventures-more/masters-air-tribute-mighty-eighth published nearly a year ago and still no mini-series.

This may kindle a further debate on why the Eighth, and not the Twelfth or Fifteenth. For me in those theaters (some might say one) and Air Forces neutrality exists. There was also a Pacific air war where the selected genre is up for grabs by Spielberg and Hanks or others, starting with the early days "They Fought With What They Had" to or including the CBI efforts and or later efforts with "Super's" striking from the Marianas with devastating results. Where should the Pacific story start or end with this type of mini-series endeavor should it ever be attempted?

All proving one point: “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  2. Darkhorse

Darkhorse New Member

In my humble opinion, I believe any attempt is better than no attempt. Our Greatest Generation is almost gone. Those that survived... their scared body's and minds live to tell the stories of those that didn't, long before they would tell their own. There is not a greater Hero than our soldiers, always ready, always vigilant, always 'ours.' Their stories, are our stories, without them we would have no platform to debate. No nation to defend, no identity and no existence. So to me it matters not which story is told first, as long as each and every one of their stories keeps being told.

3. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Perfect statement of fact that holds true from the "Greatest Generation" to those deployed around the world this very day, and all days to come serving the defense of this nation.

jamar and Darkhorse like this.
  4. tothfzs

tothfzs Member

5. jamar

jamar New Member

To carry that thought further, to me the term "Band of Brothers" applies to ALL members of our armed forces, men and women, who have served this great country past, present and will in the future.

billrunnels likes this.
  6. billrunnels

billrunnels Active Member

I flew with the 8th in the ETO and hold that banner high. However, I acknowledge and fully support the fact that it was a team effort that brought victory.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Airwar likes this.