MACR 5892 - airmen rescued in Yugoslavia

Discussion in '98th BG - Lecce' started by Milos, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Milos

Milos Member

Hello,

I need some help with airmen that jumped out of damaged plane on D-day (June 6. 1944), after Ploesti mission. Plane came back to base. In MACR are given only names of airmen that jumped:
    Robert Vlachos
    Rueben Staub
    Benedict Mazzara
    Glenn Mitchell
    Richard Martin
    All from 415 Squadron.

Robert Vlachos testified before Committee for fair trial of Draza Mihailovic, and he was rescued by chetniks during Halyard mission, on August 10. His testimony is not so accurate, and it is not clear how other airmen were rescued.

I have roll B0198, where 98bg Escape statements are, but theirs are not in it.
    Any help regarding how other crewmember are evacuated is appreciated.

2. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

MACR 5892 provides the names of all crewmen but not the s/n of the aircraft.

MACR 5892.jpg

MACR 5892 PG 2.jpg

Airwar likes this.
  3. Lucky Partners

Forum member Tara Copp has done considerable work with the records of the 98th BG and posted her files on Smugmug. Might be worth digging through what she has posted at this link. I did find that this crew flew tail number 818, call letter L on this mission but couldn't find the full serial number. Yes, I know this isn't what you are asking for but every bit of information might prove to be useful at some point. This page is slow to load because of the volume of information she has posted, be patient.

http://www.taracopp.com/98th-Bombardment-Group-WWII

Airwar likes this.
  4. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

5. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Two articles about Vlachos

Attached Files:

6. Milos

Milos Member

Yes, Tara Copp did amazing job.
    Unfortunately for me, she posted this material few months after I ordered same reel with Escape statements from AFHRA.

There might be info I need in War diary for August, but I have not seen it on Tara's site.

7. Zoran Petek

Zoran Petek New Member

Hello!
    The plane lost on that mission was 44-40494, coded I, listed in 345th BS roster, pilot Osborn, MACR 6101.
    Kalb piloted B-24 RCL 818 (last three digits of serial number) coded L, of 415th BS.

8. Milos

Milos Member

Yes, but that is different plane.
    Plane we are talking about landed in Italy, as stated in MACR.

On same day, additional 6 planes fell in Serbia, and their crew member were evacuated with help of chetniks.
    So it was quite busy day.

9. Lucky Partners

Milos,

It might be worth trying to contact Tara via the PM ( now 'conversation' ) function. Her user name is Tlcopp. She worked with the actual hard copy paper documents, not the microfilm so she may have come across additional information that is not on the microfilm.

Hal

10. Milos

Milos Member

Actually I did send her PM one year ago, no reply yet.
    It was on Escape and Evasion from Yugoslavia.

11. Lucky Partners

Her last sign in here at the forum was only last month, perhaps your last PM got lost in the shuffle when the Forum went belly up last year so that may be worth another try.
    There is a 'contact' tab at the top of the page I linked to above. Might be also worth a try.

Airwar likes this.