Lt James T Wakley crew, 854th bs

Discussion in '491st BG - Metfield & North Pickenham' started by Tim M., Feb 27, 2016.

1. Tim M.

Tim M. New Member

Hello,

I'm looking for informations about Lt Wakley's crew :
    James T Wakley, pilot
    James E Strunk, copilot
    Milton (NMI) Chernin, navigator
    Horatio E Wirtz, bombardier
    Elvin N Dice, engineer
    Robert C Roby, radio
    Melvin D Sjogren, gunner
    Vincent F Sperandeo, gunner
    George D Whitmore, gunner
    Wesley C Lund, gunner

They flew their tour during summer 1944.
    I have a MACR concerning the crew, they crashlanded their B-24 (42-110038) back of mission, out of gas on july 12th 1944.

I'm mainly looking for a picture of the crew but any other information would be welcomed.
    Thanks !

Tim

2. Duke

Duke New Member

Hi Tim,

I was familiar with the loss of the aircraft but didn't know that Wakley was the pilot or that there was a report about the crash. I would really like to see a copy of the report if that is possible. I looked to see if there was a photo of the crew in anything I have but didn't find one. I did find this photo with the copilot in it from September 1944.

Duke

Attached Files:

25Kingman49 likes this.
  3. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Returning from an operational mission,Lt, Wakley was coming in for a normal landing on his first approach. His No.3 engine started cutting out wich was the first indication that his aircraft was short of gas. By turning on the cross feed he managed to keep all four engines running. There was one B-24 on the runway out of gas and the caravan gave the signal to go around. Pilot pulled to the left of the runway intending to land on the grass parallel to the runway. However two aircraft preceding him turned in front and caused him to turn with them. While on his second approach to the runway the No.3 & 4 engines cut out followed by the No.1. The No.2 engine also started to cut out and Lt.Wakley did not have enough power to reach the runway. He landed wheels down at 18.15hrs,400yrds of Prairie Farm,Chediston,Suffolk,
    passing under HT Cables,going through three hedges and came to rest in the middle of a wheat field,crew uninjured. 10 RTD.

Jaap

25Kingman49 likes this.
  4. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

5. Tim M.

Tim M. New Member

Hello,

Thanks to everyone for you help.
    The picture of Lt Strunk is great, now I have a face to put on one of these names !
    I've made a mistake, the report about the july 12th crash isn't a MACR but a "report of aircraft accident". My mistake.
    Here it is :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks again.
    Tim

Dennis and Gerda and 25Kingman49 like this.