Lt. Hargrove , 345th FS , died December 27th , 1944

Discussion in '350th FG' started by Luca Ceriani, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Luca Ceriani

Luca Ceriani New Member

Hi everyone,
    After some years of research we finally found the crash point of the Lieutenant Hargrove P-47's. It is located in Somma Lombardo , near the international airport of Malpensa, Italy.
    We already have the MACR and we are looking for every other information, photographs or documentation about that fact and about the Lt. Hargrove last mission.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Luca Ceriani , AirCrashPo.

2. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

For the rest of us; 14 page MACR 10796 starts here https://www.fold3.com/image/28729397 for those with fold3 access.

2nd Lt Dale H Hargrove, O-722061, KIA 27 December 1944, flying P-47D-26-RA-42-28321. Original enlistment 1 Feb 1943 NARA record https://aad.archives.gov/aad/record...tf=F&q=18183898&bc=sl&rpp=10&pg=1&rid=1621806

Dale H Hargrove, findagrave https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=78491449

Dale Huggins Hargrove was born 11 February 1922 to mother Chaoncey Dewey (Holland) Hargrove and father Joseph Clint Hargrove in Childress, Texas, USA. The family moved to Fort Worth, Texas, about 1935. Dale had one brother Don Clinton Hargrove who was two years older and passed away 18 March 1999 https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=78491125 Don also served in the AAF.

Mission narrative for the rest of us:
    On 27 December 1944 the mission for the day was a dive bombing attack of a rail road bridge at Palazzolo, Italy on the far northern side of the Po Valley. That mission complete the flight started searching for targets of opportunity to strafe in the Milano area. Intense *flak* was encountered west of the city near Cobetta. Lt Hargrove was hit by flak and attempted to gain altitude in order to bail out but at an altitude of about 1200 feet the aircraft on fire rolled over and nose dived into the ground about 3 miles southeast of Somma Italy, no chute was observed by flight witnesses.

According to the Missing Air Crew Report (MACR) #10796 Lt Hargrove’s remains were recovered from the wreckage, initially interred in the city cemetery at Somme Lombardo, Italy (Grave No. 1). In 1949 he would be exhumed and return home, reinterred at Fort Worth, Texas.

Dale Hargrove, 1940 Arlington Heights High School, Ft. Worth, TX
    Dale Hargrove, 1940 Arlington Heights High School, Ft. Worth, TX - cropped.jpg
    Headstone Application
    2nd Lt Dale H Hargrove, Headstone App 2June49.jpg

2nd Lt Dale H Hargrove, Headstone
    2nd Lt Dale H Hargrove, Headstone.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  3. Luca Ceriani

Luca Ceriani New Member

Kingman , You are the best!!!
    Thank you so much for every information...!!!!
    Some years ago , before the crash of the "old" ArmyAirForce forum, I was in contact with some family friends or something like that, i don't remember exactly. They tell me that Lt. Hargrove was married with ??? Is it correct?

[​IMG]
    This is during the flight school , thanks to Bob Shifflet.

[​IMG]

Above the Grave N.01 in Somma Lombardo Cemetery , 3 years ago, indicated by a witness of the crash.
    The grave (former) was used for temporary burials. The witness (now passed away, R.I.P.)tell me that someone , at own risk, during the last months of the war in 1945, put flowers on the burial.

Attached Files:

4. 25Kingman49

Luca,
    If 2nd Lt Dale H Hargrove was married before deployment I am not finding a record of it on ancestry.com (not uncommon with deceased veterans). Sometimes the headstone application will give clues like this, however here the application was signed for by his father J. C. Hargrove.

Thank you for the Aviation Cadet photo attributed to (citing) Bob Shifflet. Is the fight school and class number where this photo originated known.

Edit: found him. Waco Army Air Field, Class 44-D, page 42
    http://www.aafcollection.info/items/detail.php?key=116&pkg=bf!field!118!116!1!title!up!20

Aviation Cadet D H Hargrove, Waco Army Air Field, Graduation book "The BEE-TEE" Class 44-D, page 42
    Aviation Cadet D H Hargrove, Waco Army Air Field, Class 44-D, p.jpg

Scott

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  5. Luca Ceriani

Luca Ceriani New Member

Scott,
    thanks again!
    Now we are searching everything about his last mission or his (brief) service period in Italy.
    By the way, is real or is a fake that there is an archive with all the guncamera film?
    Regards.
    Luca

6. 25Kingman49

Luca,
    I am not aware of an archive holding all gun camera film.
    Scott

7. Luca Ceriani

Luca Ceriani New Member

Hoping to be appreciated:

This is a simple trailer for the little documentary that we will see in the evening meeting in september 1st , 2017.