1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. The forum archives, past and present, were successfully transferred to the Heritage League of the Second Air Division. Two conditions were agreed upon; 1) all user email addresses would be protected, and 2) all private messages would remain private. On Dec 1st, the AAF domain will convert to a simple landing page to stay out of spammer hands.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for newspaper articles on John M. Chojecki/Walter F. Dinsmore

Discussion in '392nd BG - Wendling' started by BMBazooka, May 9, 2016.

1. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Well-Known Member

I'd like to ask especially the ones of have access to elder newspaper articles for help.
    I am searching the relatives of John M. Chojecki and Walter Francis Dinsmore. Both were killed after bailing out on their mission to Bernburg on July 7th, 1944 in a village near Dessau. We are already in touch with the family of the third murdered air man.
    MACR is 7369, Prouse crew (obviously a new mixed crew, some of the crew flew with the Porter Crew before), Ship "Ski Nose"
    Dates on both:

Radio Operator John M. Chojecki, Techn. Sergeant, Servicenumber 36355990, entered service from Chicago
    Walter Francis Dinsmore (*1919), Staff Sergeant, SN 33252527, Engineer, entered Service from Ebensburg, PA. We tried to get in contect with his niece, but her E-mail adress doesn't work.

Thanks for any help!

2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

3. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

4. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

5. BMBazooka

Thank you Gentlemen!
    The Find-a-grave description has some errors.

6. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

7. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Susanne,

After reading through the MACR I am curious as to what the local story is on John M Chojecki, Walter Francis Dinsmore and Samuel J Levine. The pilot's (Prouse) post war comments seem to be that Dinsmore did not bail out. He was not sure on Chojecki, but he seems to think his way to the bomb bay was blocked by a wall of flames. Levine (the navigator) did salvo the bombs but there was a hole blown through the fuselage "a yard in diameter beside his position" according to Prouse. He thought Levine was "badly?" injured in the plane.

Prouse says the he, Quick and Whitlock bailed out a low altitude but the Bomb Group had reported one parachute was seen at a high altitude. Did Chojecki, Dinsome and Levine all bail out at a high altitude and land "together" some distance away from Prouse and the others?

8. BMBazooka

Chojecki, Dinsmore and Levine were able to bail out. They were captured, slightly wounded, in Hohenerxleben. Later on that day Dessau Police Commander ordered them to be shot on their way to Dessau...

9. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Susanne, I am not sure where you are on finding Chojecki relatives. John had a sister Helen Mary Chojecki.

She married Chester J Prusick on 5 June 1944.

Chester died in 1974 and Helen died in 1994. This is the obit of their son Richard who died in 2008.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/chicagotribune/obituary.aspx?n=richard-thomas-prusick&pid=110654471

Follow up people might be his wife, Cynthia or the other son Frank or the sisters mentioned in the obit. Sometimes too, the Funeral home will pass messages on to relatives if you contact them.

10. BMBazooka

Thats a wonderful finding.
    I was out of office the last hours.

11. BMBazooka

Unfortunately none of the traces worked.
    For those of you who are interested in the story and understand a little bit German: Watch the The Mitteldeutsche Rundfunk next week, June 1st, 21:15-21:45 CET „Spur der Ahnen“ – Mein Onkel – Der Nazi-Kommissar (translation: Family traces - my uncle the Nazi Police Officer.

12. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Susanne, when you say none of the traces worked to you, do you mean you were not able to find addresses for any of the people or do you mean that none of them responded to your requests?

I think I can find, for example the facebook page of Meghann Prusick, the daughter of Richard and Cynthia (Milioto) Prusick. I can PM the link if you like.

13. BMBazooka

Either they did not respond, the phone was disconnected or they just moved like the Dinsmores.
    Since I have no facebook account I do not know how to reach Meghann. This might be one last lead.
    Thank you for all your help!

14. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

OK, I will try to make contact with Meghann.

15. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Susanne, was the Dinsmore niece you tried to contact named Deborah?

16. BMBazooka

Yes.
    Marilyn even called the local library, I tried it with the Historical society. No answer. Even no "We got your mail. Sorry, we cannot help you". It happens so often, because you do not know if people get the mail or not, do not want to respond or not. I am desparately seeking other relatives of the Junior and Operators case, and if I get no answer, no reaction, its so frustrating. A simple "No", or "We are not interested" would be helpful.