Looking for information on my grandfather Donald K Glimp - Top turret gunner on B-24 Bomer

Discussion in '491st BG - Metfield & North Pickenham' started by Kathleen, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

This is my grandfather. I have been able to find his enlistment record and an old newspaper article but nothing else. His army serial number is 18202329. This is an article I found in the Burnet Bulletin, 21 September 1944. SSgt Donald K. Glimp of Burnet, Texas has just recently been awarded a third Oak Leaf Cluster to his Air Medal. The citation in part reads as follows: "For meritorious achievement in accomplishing with distinction, aerial operational missions over enemy occupied continental Europe. Sgt Glimp's actions reflect great credit upon himself and the armed forces of the United States." Sgt Glimp has flown twenty six missions over the continent, participating in attacks on Bremen, Kiel, Oschersleben, Brunswick, Munich, Saarbrucken, Aschersleben, St. Lo, Caen, and military installations in support of the Allied forces now fighting in France. He is now serving as top turret gunner on a B-24Liberator bomber. Sgt Glimp has been in the Army 23 months. He received his gunners wings at Harlingen, Texas. He is the former turbine operator at the University power plant, Austin, Texas. His mother, Mrs. M.Z. Glimp, lives at Burnet, Texas. His little daughter, MarthaJane, also lives in Burnet, with her aunt, Mrs. Mae Mason. Any help would be appreciated. I hope I posted this correctly. This is my first time.

2. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Kathleen,
    See my replies to your inquiry by conversation.

"For starters he flew with the 491st bomb Group. See this link for that basic info: http://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/44960
    I think you should do a "cut and paste" and start a new thread under the 491st BG sub forum here : http://forum.armyairforces.com/forums/491st-bg-metfield-north-pickenham.286/
    Will continue to look for info for you.
    Hal"

and

"The web site for the 491st BG appears to be inactive http://www.491st.org/
    but they indicate a way to contact them http://www.491st.org/contacts.html
    I see the name Allan Blue on that second link. He has written several books about B-24s and has participated in this forum for many years. If you post your question in the 'open' as mentioned in my first post he might see it and respond."

Airwar likes this.
  3. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

Thank you for the information. I will do as you suggested. I looked at all the pictures but didn't see one of him.

4. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

This is my grandfather. I have been able to find his enlistment record and an old newspaper article but nothing else. His army serial number is 18202329. This is an article I found in the Burnet Bulletin, 21 September 1944. SSgt Donald K. Glimp of Burnet, Texas has just recently been awarded a third Oak Leaf Cluster to his Air Medal. The citation in part reads as follows: "For meritorious achievement in accomplishing with distinction, aerial operational missions over enemy occupied continental Europe. Sgt Glimp's actions reflect great credit upon himself and the armed forces of the United States." Sgt Glimp has flown twenty six missions over the continent, participating in attacks on Bremen, Kiel, Oschersleben, Brunswick, Munich, Saarbrucken, Aschersleben, St. Lo, Caen, and military installations in support of the Allied forces now fighting in France. He is now serving as top turret gunner on a B-24Liberator bomber. Sgt Glimp has been in the Army 23 months. He received his gunners wings at Harlingen, Texas. He is the former turbine operator at the University power plant, Austin, Texas. His mother, Mrs. M.Z. Glimp, lives at Burnet, Texas. His little daughter,MarthaJane, also lives in Burnet, with her aunt, Mrs. Mae Mason. Any help would be appreciated. Lucky Partners found out the he was a member of the 491st and gave me this address http://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/44960 THANK YOU. I reviewed all the pictures on that website and didn't see him. If anyone knows what crew he was a part of I would love to have that information.

5. Lucky Partners

Kathleen,
    We're still working on it. Part of the problem is that the 491st had a relatively short combat record. Their first mission was on June 2, 1944 and the air war was essentially over in April 1945. Some other Bomb Groups had been in operation since 1942. Since you have his Army Serial Number have you considered requesting his Personnel file? The file will not tell you what he actually did in the 491st BG although it would contain information about training, promotions, medals, etc. According to his enlistment record he enlisted in 1942 so there are approximately 2 years from his enlistment date until the first mission of the 491st. His file may fill in some of that time. Check out these links to see it it is something you might try. Notice first of all that a great many records were lost in a fire in 1973 but it appears his file may have survived as it is indicated that it was files after letter H that suffered the most damage.

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/archival-programs/military-personnel-archival/index.html
    http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/fire-1973.html
    http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/ar...ersonnel-archival/ompf-archival-requests.html
    http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/archival-programs/preservation-program/burned-records.html
    http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/about-ompfs.html

Depending on how devoted you are about this project there are other things to consider. Paper records of many Bomb Groups are still held at the National Archives in DC. There are also microfilm records for most Bomb Groups that can be ordered on CD. With either of these we're talking about time and money but if you want more information about these options just ask.

This link will give you an idea of what is available from the microfilms.
    http://www.airforcehistoryindex.org/search.php?q=GROUP/0491/BOMBARDMENT&c=u&h=25&F=&L=

Do you have any photographs of your grandfather while he was in the service? If so, please scan and post them here. Sometimes someone will see something in a photo that is useful.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    BMBazooka and Kathleen like this.
  6. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Kathleen,
    As Hal has said I suspect a few of us are working on this. If we could determine the crew he was on (i.e. this pilot's name) then we could perhaps find a little more on-line.

You probably already know this, but he was born in 1912 and had one year of college when he enlisted. I found his photo in the 1932 University of Texas yearbook, when he was a freshman.

This is his grave: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=74128777

GlimpDonaldKeith.png

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    Kathleen likes this.
  7. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

One thing I find very interesting is the wording of the press release for Glimp. I assumed this was standard wording. However, I did a Google search just using as search keys the two phrases, in quotes:

"aerial operational missions over enemy occupied continental Europe" "actions reflect great credit upon himself"

I get only about 82 "hits". I started to to compare the names on the hits with the roster of the 491st here:

http://www.491st.org/seps/a.html

It is surprising to me how many of the hits are in fact from the 491st. What this might suggest is that if we could find some men from the 491st that were awarded their "Oak Leaf Cluster" at about the same time as Glimp, it is "possible" they were on the same crew. A slim chance perhaps but as Hal has said there just may not be that much on line and you will need to get some original documents.

Some other possible search phrases would be some or all the names on the cities list.

As an example, this link (2nd column of the paper about halfway down):

http://fultonhistory.com/Newspapers 23/Freeport NY Daily Review/Freeport NY Daily Review 1944 Nov/Freeport NY Daily Review 1944 Nov - 0117.pdf

has a November 7, 1944 write up on "Lester A Faggiani" getting his 2nd Oak Leaf cluster. Faggiani was in the 491st and the article gives his plane as "Grease Ball". (Note: It turns out Faggiani was on the Simons crew and they went down 26 November 44 as can be seen in the history included on the 491st BG website, so not the crew we seek).

Kathleen likes this.
  8. Duke

Duke New Member

This is the crew your grandfather was on:

upload_2016-1-5_10-0-1.png

The above list came from the original movement orders transferring the planes and crews from the US to England. The first nine men are crew members but the tenth is a 'passenger'. I don't find the 752 MOS listed in the MOS lists I have seen. Many of the other passengers in the group's movement were MOS 750 which is an 'Airplane Maintenance Technician', which were the planes' crew chiefs. I don't know if the 752 was a typo. Perhaps others can clear this point up. The tenth man on the crew was David J Fischer, another gunner. Like many other 'tenth men' he probably came by ship to England.

I hope this helps.

Duke

9. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Duke, this is a great help, thanks. If we are very lucky one of these men may have done something like a Veterans History Project interview.

The plane, 44-40162 (no name according to the MACR, Hot Rocks according to the americanairmuseum.com site) was lost with the Fox crew on 24 March 1945.

On 25 June, 1944 Robert B McCormick was flying plane 44-40162 on a mission when he gave an eyewitness statement for the loss of another plane (44-40129, MACR 6722). That would suggest that 44-40162 was, in fact, McCormick's (and Glimp's) "normal" plane.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  10. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

I want to thank all of you for the help and suggestions you have made. I do have some pictures of him in the service and will scan and post them here. I have been looking on and off for a couple of years for any information and was not successful. I wish I had found this website when I first started.

11. Kathleen -
    The 491st BG left the War Early to return to the U.S.
    to Transition to B-29s as the 8th AF was preparing to
    transfer to the Pacific.
    Cheers
    ,Mike

12. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

I have located two pictures I have of my grandfather. I don't know where the first picture is taken or who anyone else is in the picture. My grandfather is on the top row far right. The second picture is taken at Kessler Field Mississippi in September of 1943. Donald K. Glimp (top row far right) & other servicemen.jpg Donald K Glimp at Keesler Field, Mississippi September 1943.jpg

13. Lucky Partners

Duke,

Welcome aboard! Thanks for posting the crew list. Can we know the source? Is it from a book, a web site, the Group microfilms, or you personal research. I ask because information about the 491st seems to be hard to come by. It would be useful to know of any available resources. Thanks.

14. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Kathleen, in the first picture is your Grandfather standing in the back row on the right end?

As an experiment using an online program called twinsornot.net, I get a 79% match between these two faces, the first is man in the back row right and the other face is the man in the 2nd picture you posted with the contrast adjusted. There is a 71% match between the first picture and the college photo I posted above. Just curious as to how well the program works as we may want to use it in other cases, so this is a chance to "test" it.

GlimpPhoto.png GlimpV1.png

15. Lucky Partners

One portion of the 491st web site that is still posted is the mission list. If you ever narrow down the dates of his service with the 491st you can start to work on his missions. Given that the web site may not be around much longer I would copy the information while it is available.

http://www.491st.org/missions.html#anchor1637548

16. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

Yes, he is standing on the back row right end. The other picture I posted of just him isn't as good as the group picture. Good test.

17. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

Thanks for posting this. It's nice to see his name with a group. Does this mean that he was always with the 855 bomb sq. maybe flying with different crews or did the crews stay together until one member was replaced?

18. Duke

Duke New Member

To RSwank re: reply #6

I would say 44-40162 was McCormick's 'normal' plane. The original pilots of the 491st flew 72 brand new B-24s that they received at Pueblo via the southern route to England in late April/early May 1944. They 'kept' their planes through their tour where possible. Even when one's tour was completed another crew got the plane and kept it through their tour.

To Mike re: reply #8

I don't know what you mean by 'left the war early'. The 491st 'finished' the war in Europe in May 45 and returned to the US beginning on 18 Jun 1945. The men were given 30 days leave on return to the US and were then to report to McChord in Washington for transition to B-29s. The war ended before they could be shipped to the Pacific.

To Lucky Partners re: reply #10

The information is from my personal research and collection of 'stuff' about the 491st. I have originals of most of the movement orders from about October 43 to the order to England with the 72 crew lists. I have the 'Ringmasters History' book from 1992 and almost all of the 'Ringmaster Log(s)' of the 491st Bomb Group Association beginning in the late 80's. I was also a member of the Association from 1993 and attended at least 12 of the annual reunions from 1993 to the final reunion in 2009. I also have a list of the 250 or so aircrews that served with the 491st. I have the aircraft database too. I've made some research into all of the aircraft lost and all of the men lost. I've been to what remains of the bases at Metfield and North Pickenham where the 491st was stationed in England. I had a wonderful tour around Metfield by the man that owns the land where the base was. He has a few of the original nissen huts that his father moved to their farmyard. They are still in use today. He also has a large collection of artifacts found around the farm. And by the way I am new to this current forum, but I have been around since HeavyBombers.com and joined ArmyAirForces.com in its first year also under the name, Duke.

To Lucky Partners re: reply #12

Sgt Glimp, being on an original crew, was more than likely finished with his tour by Oct 44. The group's first mission was 2 Jun 44 and the article dated 21 Sep 44 says he already had 26 missions. At that time in the 491st a tour was 31 missions. Most original crews finished that in as little 60 days but maybe as long as 120 days. Don't get me wrong, some crews were there much longer. Just a quick review of the places listed in the article and the mission list shows all of these places from late June to early August. (Oschersleben 29 Jun; Saarbrucken 28 Jun / 13 Jul / 11 Aug; Kiel 6 Jul; Aschersleben 7 Jul; Munich 11 & 12 Jul; Bremen 29 Jul; Brunswick 5 Aug; St Lo 24 & 25 Jul)

To Kathleen re: reply #14

I would say he was always with the 855th and always with the McCormick crew. The 491st kept most crews intact from what I've seen. That's also not to say that crew men did not fill in on other crews as needed for sick or wounded men.

Duke

Lucky Partners likes this.
  19. Lucky Partners

Duke,
    Thank you for your reply and the considerable work you have done on the 491st. Guess our paths hadn't crossed in the past but I will certainly remember you if I ever get involved in something regarding the 491st in the future. Thanks again.
    Hal

20. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Duke, thanks for your help.
    Kathleen, I am not sure a photo exists of your grandfathers plane but the attached photo shows a plane from the same 855th BS and 491st BG.
    Downloaded from: https://www.fold3.com/image/39019594
    This plane, 44-40232 would look like your grandfather's plane (44-40162) with the same squadron markings V2 on the side. Only the tail would have a different letter.

491st.jpg