LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ON MASSIMO POCKEY

Discussion in '467th BG - Rackheath' started by S.Pockey, May 2, 2017.

1. S.Pockey

S.Pockey New Member

Yes, he was also known as 'Mac' Pockey.

2. S.Pockey

S.Pockey New Member

Could it be possible that he was assigned to this crew after VE-Day but prior to VE-Day could he have not been assigned to a crew and yet still have flown on missions? Did they have such things as stand-by's or something?

3. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

My comments in that post were speculation based on dates shown in an earlier post. The current working theory regarding missing data on the web site we were using as a source makes that speculation less likely. We still have a long way to go before nailing this down with any certainty. Records held at the Archives in Virginia would likely hold the answers.

S.Pockey and 25Kingman49 like this.
  4. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

When I look that the individual page for Pockey, the 29 May 45 date is for RZI orders which I "think" means that on that date the orders came down for the Pockey (and crew) to Return to the Zone of the Interior (i.e. return to the US.).
    (You can click on the names in post 5 to get to the individual page. They all seem to be the same)

Thus the 29 May 45 date may not be the date they were assigned to the 467th (or to a BS within the group) but rather when they (probably with many others) were ordered to return. It may well be that the records for the 467th don't show when they arrived. Since they seem to have been in England in February, they may well have gotten to the BG and flown some missions before the war ended.

S.Pockey likes this.
  5. S.Pockey

S.Pockey New Member

You guys are fantastic! I was just at a memorial for my Great Uncle Bill (William Keneally) who was also in the Army Air Corps during WWII. He was a B-25 Pilot and served in the Pacific theater. I found out that he flew around 60 missions and I believe he was shot down over an island at one point. I realized though, that my family history is being lost because we aren't documenting any of this history. My father passed away back in 1983 and I want to try to capture his history for my children. My father's brother James (mentioned in the PDF files attached in this thread is still alive (he is 97 years old and in great shape). He also served in the war as a medic stationed in England (I have a picture of my dad and him together in England). I am trying to find that photo so I can post it.

At some point I want to try to find out my Uncle Bill's information as well. He didn't like talking about his time in the war so I wan to at least find out as much as I can on my own. As for my Uncle Jim, I will try to get his story before he passes. I know he went to the Anniversary in DC a couple of years ago.

Having served in the United States Marine Corps myself ('84 - '88), I believe that it is vital that their legacy lives on for future generations.

Again, I really cannot thank you all enough.

6. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Was your Uncle William B Kenealy? I can find a MACR or (part of one) for the loss of a B-25 42-32262, 38th BG with him listed a co-pilot. After bailing out, all of the crew eventually made it back to base except one. I can send it to you if you want. Some pages are very dark and in poor condition, hard to read. The name is written as "Kenealy" in the report, even though pacific wrecks has it with two "l".

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/b-25/42-32262.html

For those with fold3 access, MACR starts here: https://www.fold3.com/image/28597528

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    S.Pockey likes this.
  7. S.Pockey

S.Pockey New Member

Yes, William B Kenealy was my uncle. Thank you so much!

8. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Was your uncle Bill from the DC area? Have a son named Bill who went to Notre Dame in the '60s??

S.Pockey likes this.
  9. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Likely your uncle Bill's original enlistment 12 March 1942, ASN: 12073957 https://aad.archives.gov/aad/record...&tf=F&q=12073957&bc=sl&rpp=10&pg=1&rid=538337

William B. Kenealy, Pennsylvania, Veteran Comp. App. Overseas service 19 July 1943 to 26 August 1944, 1 year, 39 days.

William B. Kenealy, Pennsylvania, Veteran Comp. App..jpg

William Bernard Kenealy Selective Service Card
    William Bernard Kenealy Selective Service Card.jpg

William Bernard Kenealy folded his wings 7 November 2016, age 98. No findagrave memorial found. His obituary is available here http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/potterleaderenterprise/obituary.aspx?pid=182505339 and attached PDF

Kenealy 1940 Census attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    S.Pockey likes this.
  10. S.Pockey

S.Pockey New Member

No, my Uncle Bill was from Coudersport / Roulette PA area.

11. peterDuck

peterDuck Member

Whew.....

Got a lot of input...and explaining to do here.

First, the official website for the 467th is in disarray and, unfortunately, we've (the 467th BG Association) had trouble getting access to redesign and make updates. The email addresses are most likely all old and non-functional. The best way to make contact at this time with the active members of the Association is through the Groups Facebook page. There have been efforts to make contact with the inactive member who has "control" of the site, however, we've had no luck to date. I'm hoping we'll resolve this at our upcoming reunion when all the directors and board members will be present.

I noticed some references to the 467bg-research.com site. That site is mine. While it is publicly accessible it is very much a work in progress (and not ready for "primetime"). Essentially it's the public interface to the database that holds the contents of the 467th BG Association archives (photo's, official documents, and veterans memoirs/stories/diaries) . While it holds the most accurate and up-to date information, it is "woefully" incomplete at this time. I'm "flying solo" on this and have so much left to do. Please be patient. I apologize for any inconvenience that might have occurred when referencing information that's contained on the site. I'll put a note on the home page about the current status. Also, it is slow because it's hosted on a server at my house for now. Not great (upload) bandwidth. I'll move to a better location when the "time is right". BTW: Lucky Partner, you mentioned the layout is "quirky". If you don't mind, please PM me and let me know your thoughts. I'm very willing to listen to comments and criticisms. I definitely want to make it as user friendly as possible (given certain design "philosophies" ;))

RSwank referenced information on that site relating to the RZI for Massimo Pockey. The date of Operations Order #52 was 29 May 45 as a result of the Movement Orders for Shipment 10060, File No. 370.5 OPCC Dated 27 May 1945. Massimo Pockey departed Rackheath on 10 June 45 as the radio operator for K. L. Kinsley's crew. They did fly B-24H-25-FO '100 Proof' 42-95154 on the return trip. At the time of his return to the zone of interior his rank was Staff Sergeant and had an MOS of 'E-0757 - Radio Operator - Mechanic Gunner, AAF'.

Lucky Partners has referenced the entire crew manifest for the crew's RZI. Once again....so much work left to do. For RZI "missions" the "Attack Data", "Bombing Data", and "Other Data" tabs, along with the "MIA", "WIA", "KIA", POW", and "Interned" columns won't be visible. None-the-less, that is accurate information regarding the crews manifest for the RZI.

Regarding B-24H-25-FO '100 Proof' 42-95154, while not an original aircraft to the 467th, she did arrive shortly after the Group arrived in March 44. She first flew missions in May 44 and was fortunate to survive hostilities and RZI. She, kind of, got "bounced around" between squadrons. Originally she was assigned to the 790th BS. She was transferred to the 791st BS between 5 Oct 44 and 10 Nov 44. She flew again with the 790th BS until 16 Jan 45 when she was finally assigned to the 789th BS for the remainder of hostilities. I haven't received the history card for this aircraft yet so I'm unsure of the project number, and therefore Bomb Group to which she was originally assigned. The nose art is thought to have been applied in the states prior to arriving in the ETO. The armor plate is a field modification that was done once the aircraft arrived in the theater of operations. As was often the case, they were applied over any existing nose art. Sometimes, the nose art was "repaired" by the ground crews but that was not the case with '100 Proof'. I'm unsure of her mission total at this time (please reference above explanation concerning "flying solo" and amount of work yetto be done:)). Note that 25Kingman49 mentioned the RCL's (per Tom Britten). I can confirm that with the 791st it was indeed 'G', and with the 789th is was indeed 'E'. I haven't run across an 790th BS RCL associated with her yet.

S. Pockey, that is a very nice piece of information you posted. It is indeed the 'Radio Log' from when your father arrived at Bradley Field in Windsor Locks, Connecticut (which was the destination for all the air crews returning to the states). I've always wondered how long it took the crews to fly home. Looks like they arrived late on 14 June 45. Note there was a stopover at the RAF base at Valley, Wales. BTW: RSwank "nailed" it with the A/C box.

Finally, I've attached Massimo Pockey's mission list. It's rather brief. He flew 5 missions between 19 Mar 45 and 30 Mar 45. Not sure why this crew didn't fly any missions in April of 45. Took a quick look at some of the other crews to see if he might have flown a mission (or two) with another crew but I didn't see any evidence. His crew is as follows:

Pilot - Kenneth L. Kinsley
    Co Pilot - Robert O. Gose (flew on three of the five missions)
    Navigator - Frank W. Haight
    Toggler (Nose Turret) - Benjamin W. Sandercook
    *Most crews of the 467th did not carry a Bombardier by this time of the war. They would drop when Lead Ships dropped. Pilots preferred another gunner vs a bombardier.
    Engineer - Edward M. Misialko
    Waist Gunner (Right) - Robert R. Masters
    Waist Gunner (Left) - Joseph J. Nackman (Appears to have transferred to the 790th BS)
    Tail Turret Gunner - Frank O. Dudley

S. Pockey. I would highly recommend becoming a member of the 467th Facebook page. It's very active and many second and third generations (including a few of the vets) are members.

Lastly, not sure if it's my place to apologize, however, I realize the 467th's web presence is a bit of a mess at the moment. Andy Wilkinson's site (http://the467tharchive.org) is definitely the best. The official site (www.467bg.com) is very dated, and parts are non-functional, however, there is valid information contained within. Hopefully we'll fix it soon. Mine (www.467bg-research.com) is in it's infancy (although I do have high aspirations for it:)). In addition, Fred Holdridge (790th BS Commanding Officer) has a site dedicated to the 790th BS. He passed away just this last year (age 100), however, his site is still up (although a bit "broken" in spots). His son has confirmed it will stay accessible for some time to come. The best way to access it is here http://fred790.tripod.com/01790.htm.

Whew......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  12. S.Pockey

S.Pockey New Member

peterDuck,

Thank you so much for all of the information you have given me. I am sorry I haven't responded sooner but I just logged on today and saw your post. My oldest sister sent me more information and in it she was a photo of my father along with his crew. My father had written in the names of his crew mates on the photo. I would like to know what the 299-19A means on the photo. I also really appreciate the information on his missions. Is there any way we can find out what the targets were and the outcomes of the missions? I did request becoming a member of the 467th FB community. I wished I'd have seen this sooner because I would have liked to have gone to the 467th reunion in my father's stead. Hopefully, there will be another reunion soon. Again, thank you so much for all of your help.

Attached Files:

13. peterDuck

peterDuck Member

S.Pockey,

Thanks for posting the crew photo. The photo appears not to have been taken at Rackheath (or another base in the UK). There are no visible markings that would indicate the B-24's pictured were used for combat. I would venture a guess it was not taken after returning to the states. The men listed vary slightly from the crew that your father RZI'd with. I would venture a guess it was taken upon completion of their training (prior to deployment overseas). The '299' is probably the station number for the base the photo was taken. The '19A' is most likely an indication of film roll and exposure number. Often a date would be included. The 'K. L. Kinsley' is, as your probably aware, the pilot for this crew.

That all being said, I could be wrong ;-) There's no absolute proof in anything I provided (except for the identification of the pilot). Just "educated" assumptions.

While the "official" 467th BG website is a bit dated and "subjectively" accurate information, the mission lists pages are a good place to start to gather information on your fathers missions. Here's a link to the missions in March 45 (in which your father flew his missions) - http://www.467bg.com/march45.html. Someday, I'll have all known information information available on the "Research" site, however, that day is quite a ways off. So much to do prior to inputing that information. Perry Watts book on the 467th is a good source for information (keeping in mind that new information is being discovered all the time).

Glad to see you've joined the Facebook Group. To bad you can't make an appearance at this years reunion. It's just a week away. I'm busy making preparations. Hopefully, everyone will vote to continue the tradition and we'll hold another sometime next year. Hopefully you'll consider attending in the future.

S.Pockey likes this.
  14. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

The photo caption 299 remains a mystery. Searching the AAF AND ATTACHED UNITS BY STATION IN CONTINENTAL U. S FROM 1 SEP 1939 TO 2 SEP 1945 (once-upon-a-time) available on the old forum [Too large to post these days in this forum derivative]. There is no result found searching for 299 in that directory period; related to a training air field or otherwise. Concur, not a USAAF, UK Station number http://www.gitrace.org/stationnumbers.html

Another stab in the dark is 299 was their training crew number, generally the base photo labs did a much better job identifying images than found on this particular photo.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    peterDuck and S.Pockey like this.
  15. S.Pockey

S.Pockey New Member

You have my vote to continue the tradition. I would gladly attend them in the future. I am finishing up my MBA and unfortunately, the reunion conflicts with my classes. Just to give you a little background on myself, I am a former Unites States Marine (Enlisted: '84 - '88) and I was a ground support equipment mechanic in VMAT-203 which was a Harrier training squadron. I do hope that you vote to continue the reunions. We are losing our WWII vets. My father's brother, James Pockey was a medic in the Army during the war and I have pictures of them together in England. My uncle Jim is still alive and going strong at the age of 97. He was at a major WWII ceremony in DC a few years back.

peterDuck and 25Kingman49 like this.
  16. peterDuck

peterDuck Member

Kingman....You are correct (and I forgot to mention) that either the '299' or '19A' could be a training crew number. Also, perhaps the "other" number could be the "class" number (if they did such things). BTW: It would be nice if there was a list of ALL station numbers. Not sure if such a thing ever existed. I did run across that GI Trace site. Nice resource. Haven't run across one for continental US (at least listed by station number).

Pockey....Nice to hear your uncle is doing well. I assume he served in the ETO (based on your comment about them in England together at some point). I bet he has quite a few stories to share. I'm pretty sure we'll have a positive vote for continuing holding reunions. We have a nice turn out of veterans attending this year, plus a very special guest speaker. Very much looking forward to it.

I see we served in the same "era". I was in the Navy (81-86). Electronic Warfare was my "specialty".

I look forward to seeing you in the future. Best of success with your academic endeavors.

S.Pockey likes this.
  17. S.Pockey

S.Pockey New Member

peterDuck - here is my uncle's response to my email I sent him about the information you have provided me regarding my dad (He lives in Florida):

Thanks Steve for your E-Mail. We are as safe as we can be with a normal storm but a Hurricane of a 5 Category they are difficult to with stand. we are doing well and are in a safe facility with all precautions taken by the facility.

Good job on your research. I knew he had made five missions and then was sent home to get prepared for the Japan flights and was slated for the south Pacific as his unit had the least number of combat missions in the European theater.

We were attached to the 29 th. Army Division I think but as a Station Hospital # 115 Th. We were a receiving facility for the wounded . But were in England about a year before the invasion and served as a Hospital for all the American troops before the big push for sick call in the staging area. We operated a regular hospital for the sick for all the services in our area. I had forgotten we were a 750 bed Hospital.

I was the Teck Sargent in charge of 9 staff soldiers operating the Ex-Ray Department for the hospital.

Uncle Jim

---------------------------------------------
    I found the following webpage on his unit and the hospital (he is listed on it too). Pretty cool.
    https://www.med-dept.com/unit-histories/115th-station-hospital/

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Airwar likes this.
  18. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member