Looking for information on Hamilton Fess

Discussion in '94th BG - Bury St Edmunds' started by povolny, Jul 5, 2017.

1. povolny

povolny New Member

I am seeking information on an airman named Hamilton Fess. He was assigned to the 94th Bomb Group, probably in either the 332nd or 333rd Squadron. In particular I would like to know the name and tail number of his plane, and what his crew position was. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

3. povolny

povolny New Member

4. Parker

Parker New Member

Please share any information you already have on this person. Do you know the approximate dates he was active with the 94th BG? Do you know the name of his pilot or any of his fellow crewmates? Do you know of any particular missions he may have flown? Is this a family member or relative?

5. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

6. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

A little on his wife.
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/montereyherald/obituary.aspx?n=josephine-mary-fess&pid=163621120

About half way down this page is the wedding picture, the date was June 4, 1944.
    http://www.fessonline.org/simeon/

If he was at Bury St Edmond from, say the spring of 1944 (or earlier) through the end of the war, he may not have been on a flight crew. Once flight crews completed their required missions, they moved on. At this time the required missions was 30 (soon to move to 35). Ground crewmen and support people stayed on in the bomb group.

While the wedding picture is small and lacks details, one thing I don't see him wearing are wings, e.g. gunner's wings. Are you sure he was on a flight crew?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  7. 25Kingman49

Airwar likes this.
  8. 25Kingman49

The 94th Bomb Group has a presence on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/94thBombGroup/ you may wish to contact the group by this method and ask their membership. A brief search of posts and photos yielded no results for Hamilton Fess.

9. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Airwar likes this.
  10. povolny

povolny New Member

He's the father of a friend of mine. My friend has a book about the 94th which even includes a picture of Hamilton. But what it doesn't have is information on the aircraft Hamilton served on, if indeed he was on an aircrew at all. My friend thought Hamilton was a navigator, but I noted that his rank was only a private at the time the picture was taken. And since navigators were officers, I ruled that out. Now that I think of it, weren't most enlisted aircrew sergeants by the time they had completed training and joined an aircrew?

11. povolny

povolny New Member

I'm not sure. I noted in his wife's obituary that he was a sergeant when he married, so it's possible he was. I think what I'll do is inform Greg about this forum, and let him follow up if he wants to. Thanks to all of you for your help.