Looking for help on my Grandmothers uniform

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Medals, and More' started by TCoulton, Feb 23, 2017.

1. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

The enlistment at Robins Field on 5 February 1943 might be important. Warner Robins Army Air Base was a major depot command within the Air Service Command during WW II continuing to this day by a different name. It might explain her should sleeve insignia (SSI).

This Army Air Forces Medical Services in World War II document may help http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/afhistory/aaf_medical_services_wwii.pdf but Warner Robins is only referenced once:
    "In the United States, AAF medics trained at several bases. AAF enlisted medical technicians trained mostly at Warner Robins Field, Georgia, as members of the various types of small medical units authorized by the AAF."

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Airwar likes this.
  2. TCoulton

TCoulton New Member

She was never in Illinois, always in Pennsylvania.
    The stuff you guys have found is simply AMAZING, I have no idea even where to begin looking for this information.

3. TCoulton

TCoulton New Member

And yes, she was never outside the country, was always stateside.
    The discharge paper is amazing, so need a copy to add to my family papers.

4. TCoulton

TCoulton New Member

You guys don't know how happy you have made me here finding this stuff. I can never thank you enough.

5. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

TC,
    Good to hear, that's why we do this, to make people happy! So, I guess the card I posted about nursing school was another Maxine Sims who was still in the service in 1947 whereas your grandmother was discharged in 1946. That's the way it goes sometimes. Amazing how many people are out there with the same name.

BMBazooka and Airwar like this.
  6. pathfinder504

pathfinder504 Member

I am inclined to believe that the R/W/B pin on her shoulder loop is a common Red Cross pin.

Airwar likes this.
  7. 25Kingman49

Here is another newspaper article from Monday 1 February 1943 announcing the engagement of Miss Maxine Nagle (age 26) with Pvt William Sims of Athens GA. This further clarifies her schooling at the Wyoming Seminary Prep School Kingston, PA and the Wilkes-Barre, PA General Hospital School of Nursing.

Attached Files:

Airwar likes this.
  8. 25Kingman49

Dave,

Would you please post an image of the Red Cross pin to support your inclination, i.e. "R/W/B pin on her shoulder loop is a common Red Cross pin." for clarity.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  9. TCoulton

TCoulton New Member

10. TCoulton

TCoulton New Member

No, the card was not her. She lived her whole life out east, Pennsylvania and Georgia.

11. 25Kingman49

Thomas,
    Thank you for sharing the photos of William and one with your grandma, wonderful that you have these for the family rcord. That must have been an interesting relationship, her being an officer and him an enlisted man. Hope this is not too far off topic from your grandma. William was a little difficult to track, a lot of Sims out there, I think this is him maybe you could confirm. From the 1930 census residing at Athens-Clark County, Georgia father Harry Holliday Sims; [also Harry H Lime] a Building Contractor, mother Octavia W Sims, here William "H" is listed as son 8 years old, born 1922. If this is him he enlisted 1 July 1942 at Fort McPherson Atlanta, Georgia, ASN: 06971880 NARA record here https://aad.archives.gov/aad/record...&tf=F&q=06971880&bc=sd&rpp=10&pg=1&rid=296248 civilian occupation carpenter. This all seemed to fit the data in the newspaper engagement article.

If this is him did he survive the war and where was he stationed overseas if known.
    Scott

12. TCoulton

TCoulton New Member

I don't know much about William, he was long gone before I came into the picture.
    My grandpa, Edward, died shortly after I was born, so don't know much about him either.
    Never really asked about William, mom and grandma never seemed to have anything nice to say when it was brought up.
    This is all I have for his military life in paper form...
    https://goo.gl/photos/2DoWWfsVKax2Hsxj9

13. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

14. 25Kingman49

Airwar likes this.
  15. 25Kingman49

Three more newspaper articles. Not finding anything into 1945 or Maxine's service other than Warner Robins Field. William has been transferred to Los Angles.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Airwar likes this.