1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. I no longer have the time to manage a project like this, obviously, or give it the attention that it deserves. I still think fondly of the early days in 1998 when this all got started. A small, but eager group of tech savvy 1st and 2nd generation descendants made great friends with the last of the WWII veterans thru the newfangled internet. They're all gone now. It's time for me to turn the page. Thanks for being along for part of the ride. I'm sorry it got so bumpy in the end.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for help on my Grandmothers uniform

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Medals, and More' started by TCoulton, Feb 23, 2017.

1. TCoulton

TCoulton New Member

I am looking to find out some information on what pins/medals were on my grandmothers uniform.
    She passed away years ago, and never remember talking much about her stint in the Army Air Force Nursing Corp.
    This is a picture of her in her uniform, https://goo.gl/photos/F27MdFhXd4mb5eZN6
    She was a captain, I know the patch is Army Air Force and the pin on the lapel is the nurse pin. What I am trying to figure out at the pins/medals on the shoulder. I am guessing the button at the top (left) is the button that is part of the jacket. It is the middle and 3rd (right) that I am not sure what they are.
    I would like to try and find these items to have in her honor. Any help is appreciated.

2. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Mr.T, welcome to this forum. Do you have more information like a name,Army Service Number,birth,thank you.

Jaap

3. TCoulton

TCoulton New Member

Maxine Nagel D.O.B 8/12/1917
    No service number. Not even sure if there is a way to find that. Sorry for not being super useful, sort of new at find military stuff and this is the first place I have tried.

4. TCoulton

TCoulton New Member

5. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

6. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

7. TCoulton

TCoulton New Member

The news articles, my Aunt has the originals, https://goo.gl/photos/ha3mQquaZQBNHBp79
    Need to find more.about her military life, besides the uniform stuff.
    I was a horrible grandson in this department, never asked her about this stuff when she was alive, always had that " she will be around for a long time" mentally.
    Funny story about that article, the little girl with her at home is my Aunt, but the article says it's my mom.

8. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

9. TCoulton

TCoulton New Member

Thanks, I'll see what I can find.

10. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

You've got a tough one here. Searching the 'usual sources' comes up pretty dry. There is some general info at the Army Center of Military History here:
    http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/72-14/72-14.HTM
    That web site is scheduled for downtime tonight so if you can't get through try again tomorrow.

Fold3.com has a few general areas, non-members can access this item:
    https://www.fold3.com/page/642823159__women_of_wwii_army_nurse_corps#description

You can also see the index pages of these links but need to be a member to access the actual document.
    https://www.fold3.com/s.php#query=nurse&ocr=1&t=495
    https://www.fold3.com/search/#query=WOMEN+OF+WWII&ocr=1
    https://www.fold3.com/search/#query=women+of+WWII&t=925

However, searching for her name yields only the page Jaap posted above in #5

If you can come up with her ASN you might be able to find information in her Army Personnel file but so far I have not been able to find that number

Airwar likes this.
  11. TCoulton

TCoulton New Member

Pretty our family motto is "Make it harder then it needs to be."
    I'll check the sites you linked Lucky, thanks a bunch.
    Making a call to my Aunt to see if she has anything for records.

12. Lucky Partners

Like your motto!

Another thought, returning service personnel were encouraged to file a copy of their Discharge papers with their local courthouse. Theory was that the extra copy might be helpful for benefit claims. If you know where your grandmother lived when she left the service it might be worth a phone call to the county courthouse to see if they might be able to find a copy of her Discharge. The discharge papers would not only provide her Army Serial Number, ASN, but might also give some limited information about where she was assigned. I assume it is the devices on her shoulder that you are trying to identify.

PHOTO 1.jpg

PHOTO 2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Airwar likes this.
  13. TCoulton

TCoulton New Member

I I'm guessing the button on the left is the button that holds the strap on and its own into the jacket. It's the middle button, and the one on the right that I'm trying to figure out what those are.
    To me it looks like there's three buttons up there, but maybe it's just the button holding the strap and something else in the middle and then whatever's on the end could be material, it's hard to tell with the angle of her shoulder in the photo.
    Where she was living when she was discharged, that might be a little hard because I'm not quite sure if it was in Pennsylvania or, where I believe she was, in Georgia. But that's something that I can figure out on my own with hopefully some help from some family members.

14. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Yes the inside (left) button is to hold the epaulet closed (function only),

I am fairly certain the center pin is an Air Service Command epaulet insignia.
    Air Service Command.jpg

Outboard of this should be her rank two silver bars for a Captain
    Captain-two silver bars.jpg

Airwar and Lucky Partners like this.
  15. Lucky Partners

YES! Been looking 'til my eyes burned and could not find it, but yes, that's it. Well done Scott. To show how far off I was, I thought it looked like a flower! But now I can see the three propeller blades in the original photo.

Airwar likes this.
  16. 25Kingman49

Captain Nagle's grave maker appears to be of the official bronze type but no headstone application could be found via ancestry.com.

The PA Veteran record is also of little help regarding an ASN only listing already known data:

Maxine Harrity
    in the Pennsylvania, Veterans Burial Cards, 1777-2012

Name:Maxine Harrity [Maxine Sims]
    Birth Date: 12 Aug 1917 Age: 88
    Death Date: 20 Jul 2006
    Military Branch: Army
    Veteran of Which War: World War II
    Registration County: Delaware
    Cemetery Name: Pine Grove Cemetery
    Cemetery Location: Berwick, Pennsylvania

Capt. Maxine (Nagle) Harrity grave marker.jpg

Airwar likes this.
  17. Lucky Partners

Scott,

Where did Maxine Sims come from? Obit had Harrity and Nagle. Sims opens a new door. Might this be her? If this is her it would appear that she did not finish Nurses training until after the end of the war, card appears to say graduated 3/6/47.

sims.jpg

Airwar and 25Kingman49 like this.
  18. 25Kingman49

Hal,

Not sure according to the obit she was a Registered Nurse at Berwick Hospital before enlistment into the army.

Sims came from Ancestry , here's another panel
    Maxine Nagle Sims
    in the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007

Name: Maxine Nagle Sims
    [Maxine Harrity]
    [Maxine Nagle Nagle]
    Race: White
    Birth Date: 12 Aug 1917
    Birth Place: Shickshinny, Pennsylvania
    Death Date: 20 Jul 2006
    Father: Herman R Nagle
    Mother: Anna L Oplinger
    Type of Claim: Original SSN.
    Notes: Jul 1946: Name listed as MAXINE NAGLE SIMS; Sep 1955: Name listed as MAXINE HARRITY

Scott

Airwar and Lucky Partners like this.
  19. 25Kingman49

Okay, here we go Maxine (Nagle) Sims ASN: N-760023. So if I am reading this right she never served outside the Zone of the Interior during the war.

Maxine (Nagle) Sims ASN.jpg

Airwar, TCoulton and Lucky Partners like this.
  20. Lucky Partners

Well done again. Funny thing, the picture you posted with your #19 showed up on my iPad but when I logged on here it doesn't appear.

EDIT:
    Hmm, now it's there. I must be losing it. Been a weird couple of days!

Airwar likes this.