1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. I no longer have the time to manage a project like this, obviously, or give it the attention that it deserves. I still think fondly of the early days in 1998 when this all got started. A small, but eager group of tech savvy 1st and 2nd generation descendants made great friends with the last of the WWII veterans thru the newfangled internet. They're all gone now. It's time for me to turn the page. Thanks for being along for part of the ride. I'm sorry it got so bumpy in the end.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking fo the nick name of this

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by cody1947, Jun 15, 2017.

1. cody1947

cody1947 Member

A young man from Israel has his father's memorabilia and said his Mom called this money packet by a funny name that his Dad had told they referred to it as. Any clues of the nick names for the packet

Attached Files:

2. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    cody1947 likes this.
  3. cody1947

cody1947 Member

Thanks I'll pass this along

4. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Airwar likes this.
  5. tonystro

tonystro Member

Can't address "typically" as it relates to Short Snorters, but all I have seen from CBI were on local currency. According to Dad's comments, he didn't see US denominations in hte nearly fourteen months between when he reached Karachi, India and when he reached Manilla on the way back to the USA.

6. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Scott, the leftmost note that cody1947 posted is a Mexican Peso and the next one is a 1 lire Italian Allied Military Currency note as can be seen here, so probably not escape money.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/501504...53e16f9b4a74&gclid=CMHH2_mYwdQCFQwtaQodsfwCvg

The one on the right is a 5 peso Mexican Note. I suspect the collection is from someone who trained in the SW or West US, hit Ciudad Juarez or Tijuana on a weekend pass and then may have served in Italy. There is possibly a Allied Military Japanese 5 yen note in the middle but I am not sure of that one.

25Kingman49 and Airwar like this.
  7. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Rolland. I see that now, and concur with your evaluation.

8. PA.Dutchman

PA.Dutchman Member

My father brought one of these home with him. I understand it was just in case Japan did invade Hawaii then any currency with Hawaii printed on it would be declared worthless. I put the DO NOT COPY ON the jpeg of the phones for security reasons. This link will explain why where and when this was done during WWII.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_overprint_note

Attached Files: