1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. The forum archives, past and present, were successfully transferred to the Heritage League of the Second Air Division. Two conditions were agreed upon; 1) all user email addresses would be protected, and 2) all private messages would remain private. On Dec 1st, the AAF domain will convert to a simple landing page to stay out of spammer hands.
    Dismiss Notice

Killer Hogjaw

Discussion in 'Heavy & Very Heavy Bombers' started by Chris, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

Hello,
    Does anyone have any information or stories of Restless Bess (42-5470), or my father, George "Killer Hogjaw" Ardelean Jr. (35357282)? He flew 41 combat missions on her before she went down later. He was a waist gunner and later tail gunner. I have some pictures and info included.
    Regards,
    Chris

Attached Files:

• a.pdf
      File size:
      398.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Airwar and 25Kingman49 like this.
  2. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Chris,
    Excellent photos and documents, thank you for sharing.

From Osborneā€™s Fort Log
    42-5470 Del Denver 14/12/42; Morrison 31/1/43; Ass 346BS/99BG Navarin 3/3/43; Oudna 4/8/43; Tortorella 11/12/43; MIA Piraeus 11/1/44 w/Joe Donahue, Lilly, Schroeder, Broggs, Ritter, Branz, Douglas (7KIA); Raftery, Sherris, Trinoskey (3EVD & RTD); cr Kalavrya, Greece. MACR 1820. RESTLESS BESS.

B-17F-50-BO-42-5470: (99th BG, 346th BS) lost Jan 11, 1944. MACR 1820; Baugher http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/1942_1.html

You fathers NARA enlistment record https://aad.archives.gov/aad/record...tf=F&q=35357282&bc=sl&rpp=10&pg=1&rid=5690159

T/Sgt George Ardelean Jr.: DOB: 20 Jun 1920 Indianapolis, Indiana, entered AAF service 13 June 1942, separated 8 Aug 1945, DOD: 8 January 1996 Indianapolis, Indiana. Spouse Virginia (Pope) Ardelean Jr., obituary attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Chris and Airwar like this.
  3. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

This may or may not be related to your fathers original pilot 2nd Lt Roger C Lyon, see https://books.google.com/books?id=4JxRw__QG2oC&lpg=PA78&ots=P4_CaHB28Z&dq=Lyon crew 99th bomb group ww2&pg=PA78#v=onepage&q=Lyon crew 99th bomb group ww2&f=false (top left paragraph)

Here a Lt Roger Lyons (might be plural or a different pilot) from the 99BG was tasked with transporting several US Generals and British dignitaries to the signing of the Italian Armistices with the Allies 3 September 1943. Unfortunately the contributor here notes the "surrender" took place at Toranto, Italy when in fact it was signing by all parties at Cassibile, Sicily. This casts a small shadow on the rest of this account.

I was curious if your father might have been on this transport mission if this is the right Lt Lyon and if your father stayed with that original crew for his full tour. Also curious about the long delay in your fathers mission record from #63 Rome 13 Aug 43 to his last mission #298 Vienna 18 Nov 44. Was he wounded on the Rome mission 13 Aug 43 causing the mission interruption?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Chris and Airwar like this.
  4. Chris

Chris New Member

Thank you for your responses. I know he spent nine months in a hospital. He was wounded in the lower back (multiple surgeries). I have his purple heart and air medals.

5. Chris

Chris New Member

The story of Roger Lyon was interesting. I remember my father telling me a story of how the plane was named. I'm sure Bess was the pilot's girlfriend or wife. With no disrespect to her or any surviving family member, they wanted to name the plane Barrel Ass Bess. I think you know why they did not choose that name, but it was a good laugh when I heard it. God knows they needed as many laughs as possible under the conditions and circumstances they were in.

6. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Chris welcome to this forum. I hope our members can help you with more information.
    Enclosed some newspapers. Also a photo of your mother.

Jaap

Attached Files:

Chris and 25Kingman49 like this.
  7. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member