Jack Radinsky O-474954

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by Cololab, Mar 1, 2017.

1. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

It is actually worse, I didn't want to add to the confusion. His father was from Russia/Poland both countries were listed together and the last name was originally Radinski. One document had the father at the top spelled with the "i" with children at the page bottom with the "y". A real identity crisis.

2. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Don't think we need to pick his name apart. A LOT of people who came from Eastern Europe changed their names as they migrated west, this is still going on today. Go through the passenger lists at Ellis Island, names were spelled however the guy writing them down thought they sounded. How long do you think this guy would have lasted in German hands if his dog tags said 'Moses' ?

Actually the number of inconsistencies popping up with medals and such make me wonder about the provenance of this collection. Could it be possible that the seller just put together a number of items and attached Radinsky's name to it?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  3. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

As far as the campaigns go, the 366th FG earned 6 campaign streamers in WWII. The group was organized in June 1943 and got to England in January 44. If Radinsky did a tour early in the war (as Captain?) and then was assigned as a staff officer to the 366th upon its formation, I think he could have earned a total of 7 campaign stars if he stayed with the 366th to the end of the war.

I wonder if the Radinsky's did have a family member who served in WWI and the two WWI medals came into the family that way. They may not have been Jack's but ended up with his ribbons maybe in a box in a closet.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  4. Cololab

Cololab Member

I bought all these items directly from the people conducting the estate sale. No other military items present and the person handling the sale gave me the name from which I found the obituary. I don't think they switched out anything and I certainly haven't. I have to conclude that Moses, John, Jack is the one responsible for the ribbons; earned or not.

5. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

6. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

I stumbled over his Munich affiliation. Never heard of it.
    I somewhere in this computer have a telephone book on the Munich army Post. But from 1946. Edit; No Radinsky in this book.
    Is there more information in the photos with a Munich view? I have not seen this.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  7. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

The newspaper article Jaap posted about the marriage of a Joseph Radinsky is for a different family. There was a Jack Radinsky with wife Lillian who lived in Seattle.
    He was born in 1912. The 1940 census mentions children Joseph, then aged 3 and Sara then 1.

Here is Lillian's Obit. It mentions her children Rabbi Joseph, Sara, Moshe, Rabbi David and another daughter Miriam.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/seattletimes/obituary.aspx?pid=171659012

8. Cololab

Cololab Member

I have no verification of the Munich claim. This is something that is mentioned in his obituary and may or may not have any factual basis.

9. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

I found a link here which is interesting. I would love to see the photo.

http://duarchives.coalliance.org/repositories/2/archival_objects/134524

This is a description of a photo that exists in the University of Denver Library collections.

• Abstract
      Black and white 8 x 10 photograph of a man, Moses "Jack" Radinsky, in WWI dress uniform. The prop and wing collar insignia shows that he was an officer in an aviation related unit.

• Scope and Contents
      8 x 10 BW photograph

Lucky Partners likes this.
  10. Cololab

Cololab Member

Now that is interesting. Looks like I need to wander over to DU and see what I can find.

11. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

12. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

I also looked up the description of the type of wings Radinsky wore, now in Cololab's collection.

TECHNICAL OBSERVER (Rating established in late 1942 - Discontinued in 1956)
    Went to Army Pilots who also had special qualifications or competence to make such technical flight observations as the evaluation of air tactics, combat crew performance, function of aircraft equipment, weapons, etc. Seldom worn.

13. Cololab

Cololab Member

I think I read or heard (maybe just the voices in my head) that the TO wings were also bestowed on certain individuals in order to qualify them to receive flight pay. Sort of a bone that the commanding officer could throw to someone to get them a bit more status. I just read online that the TO wing was awarded to flight personnel assigned to assist the flight engineer. Possibly an engineering officer assigned to oversee airframe, engine or avionics repair or operations.

Radinsky must have been doing something relatively important to someone to have been promoted, according to the Greeley newspaper article, to Lt. Colonel in 1943. Or maybe he was just in the right place at the right time.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  14. Cololab

Cololab Member

Just found out that Radinsky was ordered to the Army Air Force Technical Training Command at Jefferson Barracks, MO in 1942. No idea at this point what he was to do there, but that may explain why he had technical observer wings. These wings BTW appear to be of typical WW2 British manufacture.

All this struggle in trying to sleuth his history has driven home the point that collections should never be broken up and/or sold piecemeal. Sadly this has happened all too often.

15. pathfinder504

pathfinder504 Member

TECHNICAL OBSERVER!!!! I have always loved that wing!! So eclectic! I wear it on my uniforms so I am not accused of being a PILOT or PARATROOPER!!! (I am technically a historical observer!!!)
    Hey if anyone has a white embroidered cloth one on KHAKI, I will be glad to trade for one of my embroidered white on ODs.

16. Cololab

Cololab Member

I just obtained the photo referenced above that is maintained in the University of Denver collection. This is clearly a WWII uniform and appears to be possibly circa 1942-1943. It was in that time period was when Radinsky was promoted to from Major to Lt. Colonel, however I can't determine if those are Major or Lt. Col. oak leaves. Interestingly, or not, he is not wearing any ribbons, wings, etc.

I am going to go to DU when I have time and see what documents relating to his military service might be in that collection. I have also reached out to the 366th Fighter Group Association to see if they have any record of him as it looks more likely that he was connected to the 391st Fighter Squadron.

If he was indeed some type of Technical Observer, would he have been assigned to and under the direct command of a Group or a Squadron? Or, would he have been reporting directly to some higher echelon authority?

Attached Files: