Information on this plane

Discussion in 'Heavy & Very Heavy Bombers' started by Rick Thompson, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson New Member

Should I go back and ask him for a copy of it?

2. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

I have worked with Archie many times in the past, always a pleasure. You have his direct email address now, yes, I would reply to his email requesting a copy of the card. You might make as good a copy of the photo you have and send it to him with your request just with a trade in mind not that this is necessary.

3. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

Have to expand on that card:

Assigned: June 1943 - CFTC / 527th AAF Flying School (Specialized, 4-engine) - (Liberal Army Air Field)

Assigned: 1 May 1944 - CFTC / 2525th AAFBU (Pilot School, Specialized, 4-engine) - (Liberal Army Air Field)

Dugway was a Chemical Warfare depot

Newark AAF was a ATC hub

The AAFBU system did not come into effect until 1 May 1944

4. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Dave,
    Thanks for your input please check post #18 page 1 this thread, some of this material has already been covered. I think the actual card from Archie at AFHRA would be most helpful and a nice keepsake for this member to go along with his photo of 42-7378.

Additionally: Dugway was a chemical warfare research facility in the west desert of Utah (still is to this day). Michael Army Air Field 40° 11′ 58″ N, 112° 56′ 15″ W was the airfield in use during WW II, still in use today expanded under control of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). This whole area now falls within the boundaries of the Utah Test and Training Range (UTTR). I'd bet the commander of the current Dugway Proving Ground would disagree. (borders within boarders on military reservations).

Shhh; don't tell it's top secret...
    Michael AAF Dugway (DARPA).jpg

During WW II this site and surrounding test areas were a primary location for the testing of incendiary weapons (falling into the chemical weapons family) where both a German and Japanese "village" were constructed to test incendiary weapons "effects" on various building structure types. Some of that detial can be found here http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/ut0568/ a little more here http://www.dugway.army.mil/1942-1945.aspx one can search around and find more on this incendiary testing topic in Utah during WW II.

Perhaps 42-7378 took part in some of this incendiary weapons testing at Dugway Proving Ground but there is likely no further recorded of this aircraft participation beyond this notation on the IARC.
    Scott

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  5. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson New Member

I sent Archie a request for a copy of the card

25Kingman49 likes this.
  6. B-24 Best Web

B-24 Best Web Member

7. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson New Member

I received the card from Archie:

Attached Files: