If they know?

Discussion in 'Prisoners of War, MIA, & Internees' started by BMBazooka, Mar 17, 2017 at 3:18 PM.

1. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Some weeks ago a I got some papers from the capture of an american air man in Bad Tölz. He had civil German clothing on and was trying to get to the Alpes. He was captured March 2nd 1945. His ship, the B-17 43-38558, crashed near the US Consulate in Munich in the "Englisch Garden", Feb. 25th 1945. (MACR 12718). I am wondering that he got that far. If some German had helped him?
    Sad story: 5 KIA. The pilot, Keith Farley, was shot by the Germans near the Chinese Tower.
    This evening I found 3 pictures of the ship and to captured air men, I#d like to share with you.

upload_2017-3-17_21-12-42.png

upload_2017-3-17_21-14-28.png

upload_2017-3-17_21-17-26.png

Maybe, if from the Farley Crew, Leon Klein, Jack Richardson and John Elliott - the lucky survivors.
    There was another ship which crashed at the other side of the Isar in Bogenhausen on that day. Two survivors, wounded.

Any contribution, especially a crew photo is appreciated.
    Thank you!

Airwar likes this.
  2. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

388th BG, 561st SQ. First page of 36 page MACR attached. Many survivor statements in the MACR.

Any information on the other ship Susanne?

MACR.jpg

Airwar likes this.
  3. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

No unfortunately not.
    I didn't know that a second ship crashed till I took a look into Richard Bauers book "Fliegeralarm". Air raids in Munich. Bauer was the head of the Munich City Archive. The photos in this book are outstanding.
    The one who was captured in Bad Tölz was John Martin.

Airwar likes this.
  4. Lucky Partners

Do you know the aircraft type? Was it the same day? 51 MACRs for this date.

macr list.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017 at 3:52 PM
  5. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Just an addition: the second plane crashed at the Maria-Theresia-Street. The source mentions that it was a B-17.

6. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Yes, same day.

7. Lucky Partners

OK, B-17 only, cuts the list down to size. Only 3 real candidates in Germany, including 43-38558.

macr list.jpg

8. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Its none of the 3 ships.
    Maybe the police mixed the ships.
    I have to go for the original archival soure. :(

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017 at 4:15 PM
  9. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 1:22 AM
  10. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Attached Files:

11. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Keith G. Farley upload_2017-3-20_7-24-3.png

12. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

I went through the MACR again yesterday and took a map. I also went through the mission reports of those Bomb Groups which were involved. No casualties which fit.
    Since the both crashsites are apart maximum 500 meters and on both sides of the river Isar I doubt that it were two ships. The ship was blown out of the sky through 3 flak hits. One blew the wing off. There were 6 surviving air men: Farley (shot near the bigger part of the wreckage at the Chinese tower), another two, not wounded (the ones on the photo), 2 wounded on the other side of the river (one immediately going to the Air Force Hospital Oberföhring), together with some wreckage, and John B. Martin, who was able to land in the outskirts of Munich and who made it to Bad Tölz. Unfortunately he does not tell how he got there and where he got the German clothing and money. Money might have been in the Escape kit.