Hiroshima anniversary 2017

Discussion in '509th CG - Tinian' started by 25Kingman49, Aug 6, 2017.

1. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Well, I waited most of the day for anyone to note this day in history. It now grows late in the mountain time zone where I live in the Utah high desert, so I guess it falls to me to mark this day in passing.

Certainly not a day to celebrate, however not a day or date to forget either as it moved us (the world collectively) into the nuclear age. The debate over use of this Uranium gun type weapon and that of the Plutonium implosion type weapon used three days later over Nagasaki seems to have lessened a bit, however remains controversial in some circles.

Personally I believe the shock and awe value of these weapons helped the Japanese Emperor Hirohito regain some control over his militaristic government underlings, who remained bent on war to the bitter end. This despite the fact that XXI Bomber Command had virtually fire bombed every major city within Japan and mined harbors throughout Japan and the coast of China and Korea to the point no vessel commercial or military dare put to sea.

Then there is the Soviet invasion of Manchuria commencing on 9 August 1945 which could be a contributing factor in the Japs throwing in the towel but that's discussion for another day - three days from today.

In the meantime back to Hiroshima, Enola Gay, and the Little Boy bomb (the only Uranium gun type weapon to be used/detonated in warfare or anywhere else), as all follow-on weapons would be of the "Fat Man" Plutonium implosion design, experienced at Nagasaki.

Had truce / surrender not ensued after 9 August, starting in September into October 1945 four of these "Fat Man" weapons would be available per month. The debate in Washington including the Pentagon was whether to use these weapons as they became available, or save them waiting to use them on mass during the scheduled invasion of Kyushu as a tactical weapon clearing beachheads before Allied troop landings. Thank God the Japs gave up or this would have been another case of the U.S. killing their own with early nuclear weapons.

But I digress... Back to Hiroshima and Little Boy. One of the best depictions of this event (my opinion) is National Geographic Explorer - 24 Hours After Hiroshima. My reason here is the graphic and accurate depiction of Little Boy in the bomb bay of Enola Gay and the accurate depiction of how this weapon worked. This level of technical detail was only possible as National Geographic Explorer secured John Coster-Mullen, author of "Atom Bombs: "The Top Secret Inside Story of Little Boy and Fat Man" https://www.amazon.com/Atom-Bombs-Secret-Inside-Little/dp/B0006S2AJ0 as technical adviser.

L-11firing[1].jpg
    L-11firing[2].jpg
    L-11firing[3].jpg
    L-11firing[4].jpg
    This film does depict the horrors of nuclear attack, however with the exception of extended radiation casualties this attack was little different from the mass casualties of the incendiary weapon attacks of cities across Japan.

One oddity covered in the video above along with other Hiroshima witness accounts describe one B-29 crossing this clear morning sky above Hiroshima; maybe they are all suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. In fact there were two B-29's "Enola Gay" the Weapon carrier and "The Great Artiste" the instrument carrying aircraft flying in formation together over Hiroshima. When Enola Gay released the Little Boy weapon "The Great Artiste" simultaneously released three (3) parachute instrument canisters to gauge the explosive effect of this weapon. After release both aircraft performed the diving 155 degree turn in different directions to avoid the detonation shock wave. So much for eye witness testimony...

Enjoy the movie. Imagine had the Japs not "treated" when they did, with four (4) Jap cities being vaporized per month. Or worse, the hell on our own troops if used in a tactical manner during invasion.

Tactical use of weapons question, phone transcript General Hull, Washington to Col Seeman at Los Alamos, transcript attached.

Hopefully ending on a positive note is this story of a paper crane from the Sadako Sasaki collection being donated to the Historic Wendover Airfield Museum this weekend.
    https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45280201&n...e-to-be-donated-to-wendover-historic-airfield

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  2. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

There is a great set of What if -- based on the invasion of Japan

https://smile.amazon.com/X-Day-Reporting-Greatest-Invasion-Nuclear-ebook/dp/B0104SXIK6

as well as the companion book

https://smile.amazon.com/X-Day-Olympic-Illustrating-Greatest-Invasion-ebook/dp/B016G2NALG

From what I understand, only one bomb was planned on being used on a city -- the theatre commanders were almost unanimous in using these weapons to clean the invasion beaches.

What really make me mad is the japanese are once again playing the victim card -- once again, denouncing the United States as the aggressors (we want all the japanese to visit Hiroshima to see the effect of the Atomic Bombing, etc)...

I want the Japs to visit Nanking, Bataan and all the other cities the dishonable Japanese attacked.

3. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Personally, I remain a devoted fan of "Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire" by Richard B. Frank for this Pacific war endgame analysis, rather than "what if" scenarios.

https://www.amazon.com/Downfall-End...67941424X/ref=mt_hardcover?_encoding=UTF8&me= at these low prices everyone can own this critical piece of literary history of the Pacific war endgame.

Concur, no sympathy on my part for the barbaric japanese and the manner in which they tortured the population of Asia across many theaters of operation in their quest to dominate the world. The jap forgetfulness of events perpetrated by their hand at places like Nanking, Bataan and all the other cities across Asia continues to amaze me. Forgiveness on our part is one thing, difficult to find but forgetfulness of the true barbarian nature of the japs during this period of history will NEVER be tolerated...Had to abstain from the "crane" ceremony at Wendover this weekend, not my cup of tea.

jamar likes this.
  4. jamar

jamar New Member

What is the old saying, you reap what you sow. Also, there never would have been a Nagasaki and Hiroshima if there hadn't been a Pearl Harbor.

5. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

I would go further then that -- Japan extreme aggressive nature goes all the way back to the early 1930's.