1. The AAF forum will close permanently on December 1, 2017. I no longer have the time to manage a project like this, obviously, or give it the attention that it deserves. I still think fondly of the early days in 1998 when this all got started. A small, but eager group of tech savvy 1st and 2nd generation descendants made great friends with the last of the WWII veterans thru the newfangled internet. They're all gone now. It's time for me to turn the page. Thanks for being along for part of the ride. I'm sorry it got so bumpy in the end.
    Dismiss Notice

Help locate my grandfather's AAF unit

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by Randy Wells, Apr 18, 2017.

1. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

2. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

In black & white that fits the bill. Well done image mystery solved. No closer to a BAD 1 SSI but this distraction is eliminated.
    WWII Red Cross Patch Military Welfare Service B&W.jpg

3. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Back on post #4 of this thread, Scott (25Kingman49) mentioned that "Kingman" was the code name for Wendover Army Air Field in Utah and that 25 and 49 were related to the atomic weapons. One of materials used for the bombs was Uranium, with atomic number 92 and the atomic weight of the isotope used was 235 . Thus the code for the uranium used in "Little Boy" was 25.

For the "Fat Man" bomb, Plutonium was used with an atomic number 94 and with the atomic weight of the main isotope used was 239. Hence the code number for the "Fat Man" plutonium used was 49.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 6:12 PM
  4. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Well done Rolland! Those Los Alamos folks were pretty cagey with some of their codes.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 9:26 PM