Help locate my grandfather's AAF unit

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by Randy Wells, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Randy Wells

Randy Wells New Member

Greetings. I am trying to find out information on my grandpa's AAF unit. I have received some stuff from the NARA but unable to really nail anything down. His Master Index Card states T/Sgt Bad #1 AAF 590. Anyone make sense of this?

2. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Lucky Partners likes this.
  3. Randy Wells

Randy Wells New Member

4. 25Kingman49

You're welcome. Sorry I am in Utah, the Kingman portion of my user name was a code name for Wendover Army Air Field, Utah during the Manhattan Project weapons development that occurred there primarily during 1945. The 25 and 49 are code numbers also, maybe someone with a nuke background can decode...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Airwar likes this.
  5. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Thanks Scott now I now what your beautifull name means.

Randy welcome like Scott says. When you have a name its easyer to research.

Jaap

25Kingman49 and Lucky Partners like this.
  6. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Agree Jaap.

Randy, we might be more helpful if you gave us his name and anything that you have learned from the material you have already collected. Do you have his discharge papers? Did he save anything from his service days, a diary, orders, etc. Did he receive any awards? The more you give us the more we might be able to help you to "make sense of this".

There are several books out there on the subject of the Base Air Depots which you might find interesting. Attached book is about BAD 2 but it will give you a good idea about what went on at these depots and the various skills required of the men who were assigned there.

BAD 2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    25Kingman49 likes this.
  7. 25Kingman49

Hal and Jaap,

Randy on his profile page has already provided his grandfathers name Tech Sgt Robert Byron Wells. There are 10 listings for Robert B Wells in NARA enlistment records, none from Arizona (where his son lives "Kingman"), and one findagrave listing for Robert Byron Wells interred Ohio; no bio or photo provided. What is still needed is T/Sgt Wells' hometown, and any additional information as outlined by Hal "Lucky Partners".

There is also this very brief forum post http://www.forum.armyairforces.com/...air-and-maintenance-hierarchy.1050/#post-7735 on the 8th Air Force aircraft maintenance topic which might help a bit.

Airwar and Lucky Partners like this.
  8. Lucky Partners

Scott,

Thanks, appreciate that. No way I ever would have looked there for this info. It would still be most appropriate to have this information posted in the thread if he is requesting details regarding his service.

9. 25Kingman49

Hal,
    With a little more consideration of this thread, this is really up to Randy, sometimes I think "we" research members wish to help too much. For now Randy's only question was what is "Bad #1 AAF 590" his grandfathers name was not pertinent in answering that question. Frankly knowing that T/Sgt Wells was assigned in the Service/Maintenance echelons at BAD 1 few forum members would be able to aid in that history other than in generalities, like your book reference. These records are just not available like they are for the combat elements.

My crystal ball is still cloudy today but given the research subject has the last name of "Wells" it is highly likely these records survived the 1973 NPRC, St Louis fire; center of the alphabet got hit the worst, or so I have come to believe. As such Randy may have his grandfathers full service record and needs little help from us. These records are full of military acronyms so maybe Randy will have more questions, maybe not.
    Scott

10. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Found this small article,

Attached Files:

Randy Wells likes this.
  11. 25Kingman49

While we are guessing this site might be of interest to Randy http://www.rafburtonwood.com/ Burtonwood the Depot existed a long time postwar with many different missions, all but gone now reverted to pasture lands. A rather interesting place visited by me in 1983 (NATO storage) spending a week there one day! They had some of my "stuff" and would not release it. More here http://www.mywarrington.me.uk/raf_burtonwood.htm and rather good content here http://www.historicaviationmilitary.com/burtonwood.html

12. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Thankzz Scott,I know my '' Wooden Shoes English '' is bad, but I would give it a try.
    If its not him, I Delete my thread.

Jaap

Lucky Partners and 25Kingman49 like this.
  13. Randy Wells

Randy Wells New Member

He is interred in Ohio. He died in 1970. His hometown was Columbus Ohio, Franklin County. I know he was with Base Air Depot 1 but want to know what maintenance unir he was with. Thank you for all your help.

14. Randy Wells

Randy Wells New Member

Airwar...that's him. My gandma Betty is listed there too.

15. Randy Wells

Randy Wells New Member

I wish I had more from the NARA but I suspect most of it was lost in the 1973 fire. All Inhave been able to obtain is a master index card and a hospital discharge form. Nothing about his specific unit or any awards he may have earned.

16. 25Kingman49

Randy, here is your grandfathers Findagrave page https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=76827235 and your grandmother Betty https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=76827234 there are no bios here so these pages are not yet memorials. You could, if interested gain control of both of these pages from the page creator "Dottie". First step would be to become a member registration form here https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=nm (membership is free).

Once that is complete and you have your own member number, log in and separately go to each of their pages. Top of the page just below there name is a tool bar, on the far right side click the Edit tab. On this page click on Suggest any other correction or addition this will open a text box to Dottie. Explain who you are and that you wish to gain control of both your grandmother and grandfather memorial pages (again do this separately for each memorial page). These transfers for family members are normally completed within 24 hours.

17. Randy Wells

Randy Wells New Member

Thank you...looking at his hospital admission info...this is what I have:

Service # 15074196
    Station of Admission: Code 0330

18. 25Kingman49

Attached Files:

19. Randy Wells

Randy Wells New Member

Scott...I do have that enlistment record from NARA but thank you for finding it. I'm sure you have better things to do. I truly appreciate the outpouring of assistance from those of you on this forum. It means alot. I will scan his index card and post it (if i can figure out how)

20. Lucky Partners