help id a squadron patch please

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Medals, and More' started by coffmanb17, Jan 2, 2017.

1. coffmanb17

coffmanb17 New Member

I found the patch along with 8th and 9th air force patches. i am thinking a fighter squadron. TAF. any help would be great.

a great site interesting reading

Attached Files:

2. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

The ribbons appear to be for the American Defense Medal, the European Campaign Medal and a Good Conduct Medal (ribbon is cut off on the right side, should be 3 white stripes on each end).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  3. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

4. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

A couple of odd things about the patch. The 8 with the star in the lower loop is done in the style of the 8th AF patch. I think it odd that a "squadron" patch would show the AF, since squadrons could move around. Also, artistically the right wing appears to be "backwards".

In the link Hal gave (for patches below 200) and in the related link for patches above 200, the 26th Recon Squadron has a similar bird, but with the wings "correct", and the 351st BG uses a reversed bird with the wing on the left side also seemingly "backwards". I could not find any other patches that come "close".

The 2nd AAF patch also seems similar. I wonder if this was some sort of 8th AF prototype patch.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2nd...=7z1tWMb9G8aymQHavqvgDw#imgrc=4qg4ompyRar00M:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  5. Lucky Partners

I thought it had a CBI-ish look about it with the red and white stripes and the blue bar above but that wouldn't go with the European Campaign medal. What is the source of these items? Did they all come together or did you obtain them from different sources? Are they from a collector or from the family of the person who originally wore them?

6. coffmanb17

coffmanb17 New Member

Hi thank you for the reply, the items were brought in an auction, along with a wartime lighter, a id bracelet no id engraved, along with other USA buttons, with no history but I was thinking, the Pilot/aircrew, stayed here in the uk after the war might of married a English girl, both have now passed away, then the house clearance boy came along and put the items in auction. so the guy was here in the uk during the war, first in the 8th then 9th , no other info at this time regards

7. Lucky Partners

Forgive me for paraphrasing your post but I'm trying to get to the essence of what you are trying to say. Correct me if I am wrong but it appears to me that you have no direct knowledge of who these items belonged to, where he might have actually served, or how they got to the auction where you purchased them. Is that a fair assumption? No problem, it's just that such things are a lot easier to track down if we know who they belonged to and where he might have served. Absent that information it is truly a matter of pot luck trying to identify that rather obscure Squadron patch. You might try using the 'conversation' function of this forum to contact forum member skybear 45 He has done extensive research on unit patches and might have seen the one you are trying to identify.

8. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Or, if you do a lot of collecting of this type you may wish to purchase Bob Watkins [skybear45] http://www.forum.armyairforces.com/members/skybear45.114/ six volume set of books on this subject https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Colors-Vol-Insignia-Aircraft/dp/0764334018 although, Bob is pretty generous in sharing on this forum with individual requests like this, or he can point you in the right direction. However it appear Bob last logged in on Nov 24, 2016. There is an email link at the bottom of his main page http://www.ww2battlecolors.com/

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  9. pathfinder504

pathfinder504 Member

Just an observation....the "bird" is not carrying bombs...it is carrying olive branches and arrows. The heraldic significance shown here is that the arrows are in the left claw and the olive branches in the right claw. The olive branches in the right claw signify "peace".
    I would also suggest that the lower colors are MAROON and white rather than red and white. Maroon and white are the colors of the medical branches. The blue above might suggest an aviation orientation. Obviously the 8 suggests the 8th AAF.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  10. Lucky Partners

pathfinder,

Excellent observations. Looking now more closely that's definitely an 8th AF "8" at the top and the top bar looks more black than I previously thought. And what about the field of blue that surrounds the entire design? Creates the impression that the 'patch' might be larger than originally thought. The texture of the fabric looks more substantial than a standard unit patch. Coffeeman, what is the overall size of this piece?

11. pathfinder504

pathfinder504 Member

The field of blue is just the background the thing is sitting on---as are the three ribbons. See the three patch pic? No blue background.

12. coffmanb17

coffmanb17 New Member

thank you for your input, the patch is owned by a 3rd party, the clue to the size is in the photo of 8th and 9th AF patches. I was hoping a member had the same patch on a A2 jacket, the patches were brought from a local auction house where it was brought in from a house clearance lad. so I was thinking the serviceman was here during ww2 and stayed here and might have married a English girl then they died and items were put in the auction. regards.

13. Lucky Partners

Thanks pathfinder, guess I'm in a Saturday morning slump!