Help figuring out photo 332BU 23

Discussion in '332nd FG' started by Matt, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Matt

Matt New Member

Hi, new to this forum, trying to find information on my Grandfather Eugene "Gene" Phillips. I don't have much to go on but this picture, He is third from the left. Ive been trying to decode the numbers on the bottom left but im unsure how to decode it, any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Matt grandpa.jpeg

2. pathfinder504

pathfinder504 Active Member

BU stands for Base Unit--332 was the numeric designation, thus: 332nd Base Unit. This outfit was located at Lake Charles Army Air Force Base, Lake Charles, Louisiana. The 23 is actually part of the following alpha/numerics: 23Nov(19)44. Dash 1 probably the first photo in a series.

3. Matt

Matt New Member

Pathfinder504, thanks

4. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Matt welcome to this forum. Do you have more information like birth & death certificates ?

Jaap

5. terveurn

terveurn Active Member

The photo also gives some clues --

The aircraft code: LX3 breaks down to

L: Lake Charles
    X: Aircraft Letter
    3: Third Squadron / section

6. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

If you adjust the contrast on the photo, the plane name appears to be "SHIRLEY C.", last letter is hard to make out.

7. Parker

Parker Member

If you give us his date of birth and where he was born or where he lived when he enlisted we may be able to be more help. "third from the left', an officer, what was his crew position?

8. pathfinder504

pathfinder504 Active Member

Interesting that the man second from left is a Warrrant Officer--note cap badge.

9. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

Matt, the first man on the left and the 4th man in the row seem to have name tags on their jackets. Can you make out anything on the original photo, maybe with a magnifying glass? Too much is lost to get anything on the scanned photo.

10. Matt

Matt New Member

thanks everyone for the help, I tried to make out the name tags but could not, I did notice the Planes name is SHIRLEY C. its hard to see but in block letters under left window.

11. Matt

Matt New Member

grandpa3.jpeg sorry missed some of the questions, he was born in 1922, Bronx, New York, according to my info he enlisted at 17. He was a pilot as far as I know

12. Matt

Matt New Member

His father my Great Grandfather is Charles Otho Phillips C.W.O, US Navy, he served on the U.s.s Florida, he is buried in Arlington, not sure if any of that helps? thanks everyone!

13. Parker

Parker Member

Look like this might possibly be his original enlistment record. Although if these numbers are correct he would have been 21 when he enlisted so may not actually be him. His ASN would have changed to an Officer's Serial Number when he was commissioned after completing pilot training.

phillips.jpg

14. Matt

Matt New Member

Parker, thanks

15. Matt

Matt New Member

He Died in 2008, He started working for Lockheed M.S. in the 50's

16. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

17. Matt

Matt New Member

25Kingman49, Thank you Sir! Yes this is my grandfather and step grandmothers gravesite. I have never seen it, so thank you...

18. Parker

Parker Member

Matt,

Very interesting. Notice on the gravestone, there is an image of what looks like a P-51 Mustang. Might be more to his story if he started out on bombers and later flew fighters. Also, looks like they got married on December 10, 1941, three days after Pearl Harbour.

phillips.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  19. Matt

Matt New Member

Parker,Thanks yes, I only got to talk to him one time, and yes I believe he flew P-51 or similar . He told me he was kicked out of the army air? not sure how it worked during and before they changed air stuff in ww2, anyway story goes he was kicked out for doing a flyby a sailboat and knocked it over, he was able to rejoin somehow when ww2 broke out and flew bombers he did not talk about missions, medals, where, we mostly chatted about his love of planes and flying so I was happy to listen, my aunt confirmed the sailboat story to me, he talked very little about his time in military and ww2, he talked to her a little about it on his death bed, I was given an assortment of old photos and items of his by my mother, they did not get along., I like facts and wish I knew his history, thank you for posting the pic and looking it over, I appreciate it !

20. Matt

Matt New Member

25kingman49, Parker, I was incorrect, this is not his gravestone, Parker thanks for noticing the wedding date, My grandmother died giving birth and my grandfather remarried much later, I also confirmed he had no middle initial, I have deceased dates of april 15, 1922 to april 25, 2008 for my grandfather.., I don't know what his second wifes name was. Thanks everyone for trying, amazing how close they were tho, and it went along with the story he told me. Im going try to get my mom to order his files from the military that should help I hope