Harry Charles Connors

Discussion in 'All Hands Club & Canteen Discussion Area' started by Mutley, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Mutley

Mutley New Member

I recently visited my mother-in-laws gravesite, with my wife, and her father.
    Close by was a grave site to:- Harry Charles Connors, Cpl US Army Air Forces, Aug 5 1923 to Dec 21 1997
    I wonder if anyone may know, or be able to find, anything further, about him and his service.
    I couldn't find anything quickly myself, and if nothing else, I will post a picture of his gravesite on Findagrave.com to honor his service.

Mutley

2. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Mutley, a little more info like the cemetery you were in would be helpful...but.

Veteran grave index
    Name: Harry Charles Connors
    Service Info.: CPL US ARMY AIR FORCES WORLD WAR II
    Birth Date: 5 Aug 1923
    Death Date: 21 Dec 1997
    Cemetery: Rose Hill Memorial Park
    Cemetery Address: 3888 South Workman Mill Rd Whittier, CA 90601

Findagrave https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=24614924
    Now members have what you started with.
    24614924_120301235515.jpg

Likely his selectee enlistment 6 March 1943 ASN: 39287258, NARA record https://aad.archives.gov/aad/record...tf=F&q=39287258&bc=sl&rpp=10&pg=1&rid=7776189

Name: Harry C. Connors
    SSN: 526-22-1279
    Last Residence:
    91789 Walnut, Los Angeles, California, USA
    BORN: 5 Aug 1923
    Died: 21 Dec 1997
    State (Year) SSN issued: Arizona (Before 1951)

CA Death Index
    Name: Harry C Connors
    Social Security #: 526221279
    Birth Date: 5 Aug 1923
    Birth Place: Illinois
    Death Place: Los Angeles
    Mother's Maiden Name: Carson

None of which (if at all accurate) aids in finding where within the AAF Cpl Harry Charles Connors served.

Searching this database https://www.wwiimemorial.com/Registry/Search.aspx did not appear to reveal useful results.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  3. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Scott,

Nothing shows at the AAM Museum or the USAAF Data site either. There is a listing in fold3 in their Memorial pages, actually he appears twice, but no useful information is presented. We are so accustomed to searching for combat crews that we can miss the possibility of a ground crew or stateside role for people. Sadly there is very little available for research in those categories.

Mutley, We know that more than 10,000,000 men served in WWII, the odds are we will never find out Connors' history. BUT .. we will continue to look.

https://www.fold3.com/page/90906079_harry_c_connors/
    https://www.fold3.com/page/71158789_harry_c_connors/

25Kingman49 likes this.
  4. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

Hal,

Rather a tough one; still have not given up completely but still finding little to reach the goal of AAF service. Attached is a little more data probably most important is Harry Charles Connors is a “Junior” having the same name as his father, confirmed in the 1940 Census PDF attached. At that time Harry Jr. was 16, both still living in Chicago, the wife/mother Selma C. Connors had passed away 3 Mar 1934 at age 47. Also attached is the Selective Service registration card Harry Charles Connors, Sr., dated 20 May 1942 places them living in Hillside, Yavapai County, Arizona https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillside,_Arizona not exactly the bustling garden spot of the desert southwest even today but Harry Sr. must have found work there. This is actually some pretty country if you love the desert, and only 27 miles SW of Prescott, AZ. Then by the time Harry Jr. is selected for military service 6 March 1943 they are living in Los Angeles, CA. On 14 May 1958 Harry Sr. passes in Los Angeles. I am fairly confident this data is correct.

As Hal suggested I am not sure where to look next. I searched for a 1997 obituary hoping for a lead to service but no obit was found. His headstone almost appears government issue but no headstone application was found. Normally these contain service information but also that data is normally included in the headstone text. His headstone does say loving husband and family man but I am not able to find data for a spouse or children. Maybe other members will have better luck.

Name: Harry Charles Connors Jr
    [Harry C Connors Jr]
    SSN: 526221279
    Race: White
    Birth Date: 3 Aug 1922
    Birth Place: Chicago Cook, Illinois
    Father: Harry C Connors
    Mother: Selma Carlson
    Type of Claim: Original SSN.
    Notes: Jul 1941: Name listed as HARRY CHARLES CONNORS JR; 23 Jan 1998: Name listed as HARRY C CONNORS

5. Mutley

Mutley New Member

Thanks Guys, I knew you would at least try to pull something out of the hat!

And you immediately found something that for some unknown reason I couldn't find, his listing at findagrave.com.

It goes to show however that there is a mass of information out there if you know where to look, or, sometimes more importantly, how to search in the appropriate places, with their sometimes clumsy search systems!! Or maybe it's just me not being 'techy' enough with computers!?

As he DOES have a findagrave presence, I am at least happy about that!

Watch out for my next posts, as I can assure you that they will be of great interest, as I am just getting started in finding EVERY person who had a connection with the Martin B-26 Marauder!! There connection, and their final resting place!

Yes that is from the Peyton M. Magruder, the main man of the design team; through the "Rosie (and Joe!?) the Riveter"; on to at least, General James H. "Jimmy" Doolittle, who was almost certainly the highest commanding officer that had a big influence on it's use and therefore history!

Must get on. I hope to add the 2,000 plus names that I have found in the last few years, to the already 50,000 plus names; that the Martin B-26 Marauder Historical Society's former 'Personnel' officer, the late Nevin Price; had found; before the year is out!

Mutley