German Burial Records

Discussion in 'Prisoners of War, MIA, & Internees' started by Tom Risinger, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Tom Risinger

Tom Risinger New Member

Hi, I'm researching the 351st Bomb Group mission of 6 Aug. 1944 in which a waist gunner, T/Sgt Kenneth C. Law, was killed when he jumped from his stricken plane and never pulled the ripcord. In the MACR 7588 documents tell of the pilot and engineer lifting the body into a German truck but he is listed in the American Battle Monuments Commission web site as Missing In Action.
    Does anyone know if there are German records or a researcher who could find information about this airman?
    Thanks, Tom Risinger Email risinger@optonline.net

2. Lucky Partners

Lucky Partners Well-Known Member

Tom,

Checked all 28 pages of the MACR. Nearly every post-war survivors statement commented about Sgt Law but nobody seemed to know what happened to him after he was placed on the truck. Attached is the transcription of KU 2678 which is the last mention I could find, cleaned it up as best I could. The KU reports are available but I do not know how to find them. Hopefully some other Forum member can help further.

LAW.jpg

3. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Welcome to the Forum!
    Have you tried the Record Group 242 of the NARA (Amerikaner-Vorgänge)?
    Or the IDPf? Is there really none?
    I can help you out with communication with German authorities if this helps.

4. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

5. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Tom you can try to send an letter to the Pfarramt of Schlalach. Probably they having burial records
    in their church.
    http://www.schlalach.com/index.php/geschichte.html
    There are also the X-Files. After the war they brought the remains to US cemeteries outside Germany.
    Arie-Jan van Hees an Dutch researcher started the X-Files project at Margraten US Cemetery,Holland
    aj.vanhees@hetnet.nl

regards Jaap

6. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Jaap, was is the x-file project?

7. Lucky Partners

Susanne,

X-files were discussed here several months ago but I have been unable to find that thread. Seems someone here pointed us to an on-line database. My uncle was an X-file after he died on Bataan.
    Regarding your suggestion in post #3 regarding IDPF, good idea, I didn't think of that, but would there be an IDPF for someone still MIA?

Airwar likes this.
  8. 25Kingman49

25Kingman49 Well-Known Member

9. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

There are a couple of other references to KU 2678 when you search on fold3. Basically a little more info on the crash.

KU 2678
    1245 hrs, Schlunkendorf, 3 km east Beelitz/Mark (18 km south Potsdam),
    HT 1, Fortress II. 99%. Marking and number unidentifiable.
    1 dead. Claimed by 1st Flak Division.

There may be information in his IDPF file, but it would take almost a year to get it. There are IDPF files even for MIAs. Speculating on what might have happened, it is possible the he was buried in a nearby church or city graveyard as was standard practice. Then during the fighting when the Russians took Berlin (or during the allied bombing of Berlin in 1945) the graveyard area may have been heavily shelled or bombed. The body may have been unrecoverable or unidentifiable if recovered.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    25Kingman49 likes this.
  10. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

If there is none its likely that he still is missed. Or not identified.
    I was asking for the X-Files since I wait for the IDPF of Evans (Groß-Gerau). He is in Margraten. His sister never got the IDPF.
    So maybe the Margraten people are a little bit faster than the US is?

11. 25Kingman49

Lucky Partners and BMBazooka like this.
  12. Lucky Partners

Thanks Scott, that's what I was looking for.

25Kingman49 likes this.
  13. RSwank

RSwank Well-Known Member

14. 25Kingman49

This blog has some interesting content https://livingaustria.wordpress.com/2014/08/18/huba-huba/ a little dated last post was a little over a year ago.

The last post is from Mark A. Hund great nephew of Kenneth C. Law, who has written a detailed 375 page book/manuscript on the history of the last crew of the “Hubba Hubba” and biographies of the men titled “August 6, 1944”. Wounder if he knows the details and whereabouts of his Great Uncles body.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    BMBazooka likes this.
  15. mcoffee

mcoffee New Member

Yes, there should be an IDPF for MIA's.

16. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member

Susanne in Post 5 is the email adress of Arie-Jan van Hees. Feel free to send him an email.
    I thought that Arie-Jan was also involved in the research project of Henri-Chapelle and
    Nouville-en-Condroz in Belgium.

17. BMBazooka

BMBazooka Active Member

Thank you.
    I went through the first file, but without a data base its not so easy.

18. Airwar

Airwar Well-Known Member